Registry and Gift Forum

Expensive registry items...

I don't post on here too often but I am hoping to get some true opinions on this, but hope that feedback is given in a kind and informative manner rather than the critical and often rude tone I have seen so many posts fall into on tk. I appologize in advance for formatting, this is a mobile post and things like dollar signs, paragraphs and parenthesis don't show up sometimes.
So my Question: what do you consider too expensive or too much for a registry? I have one registry on Amazon and have a wide range of items from a 1 dollar cookie cutter to 40 dollar sheet set to a 300 dollar cookware set. While I have a wide range of items price wise, I am concerned about having too many pricey ones. I have, as I said the 300 dollar cookware set and a 250 dollar comforter set. I am also planning to register for dinnerware at Macy's, and although I am leaning more towards casual stuff than the fine china, it will still probably be about 300 bucks... My FI and I were lastly talking about adding a grill to our registry since I am a big cook and we love to entertain, especially outdoors. It would be something in the 250 to 350 dollar range, but I am not sure that we should. That would make 4 "big ticket" items on it does that come across as too much? I was skeptical about even doing a registry at first so it is overwhelming to me... I just don't want people to think that because I put it on there that I actually expect to get it, it's more of an it would be beyond awesome of we did thing since its something we would always use... Just as background, our wedding is 150 people and a 'semidestination' for a lot of people, since many college friends and family members will be traveling a state or two to us so many will already be spending money on travel. Any registry advice is greatly appreciated since I really do not know what I'm doing when it comes to this part of planning. Thanks!
Always try to be a little kinder than is necessary. ? J.M. Barrie

Re: Expensive registry items...

• I think what you're planning sounds fine.  You may be able to break up some of the higher ticket items like the cookware set and dishes so they will be multiple mid-range items.  Just make sure that you have enough lower priced items that are standalone gifts (someone probably wouldn't give you just a cookie cutter as a gift, but a cookie cutter plus a cookie sheet is a better standalone gift at a lower price point).
  • In Response to Expensive registry items...:

I have been to several family weddings/showers this past year, each with many 'big ticket' items on the registry- a sofa, Dyson vaccuum, All-Clad pot set, etc.

For those items, it seemed that several people would go in together to purchase the gift. For example, my mom and some family friends went in together and bought my cousin the Dyson Vaccuum. Crazy expensive for one person, manageable for 5. Group purchases like this occurred for several of the higher cost items.
  • We also had several big ticket items.  We got multiple gift cards with notes saying something along the lines of, "to help you get those great Shun knives on your registry."  We have done the same for other weddings we have attended that had registered for things like a Dyson vacuum.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I think the amount of expensive items you have sounds fine.  And to second PP people will go in on items together.  And, if for things like dinnerware you can register for settings instead of the whole big set, that will help too.

Just make sure you have an assortment of things under $50.  I went to a wedding once and the only things under 50 were a salt and pepper shaker, both $40 each.  It made me feel awful and awkward that I couldn't afford to give the couple even a salt AND pepper shaker.

From what it sounds like though, you have it covered.
  • I think you are fine!  The most expensive thing we registered for was a $300 knife set and it's already been purchased off our registry.  My mom is actually concerned that we don't have ENOUGH expenive items. I know for family weddings we often go in on a present too (e.g., buy the $400 dish set and divide the price between all of us) so I'm sure others do that too.  
  • B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    I think what you have is fine. We had a few big ticket items in the $200-$350 range like a standmixer, a Le Creuset dutch oven, and a nice flatware set to go with the china we also registered for.

I agree with PP that you could probably split up your dinnerware and cookware into open stock if you wanted, but you don't have to. If I saw a wide range of prices and 4 very expensive items I wouldn't think anything of it. Just make sure that you have plenty of items around $50, $25, and less than $25. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Go ahead add the grill. We registered for some big ticket items too just because it was stuff we liked. I also registered for a bunch of things for $25.00 and under. Sounds like you have a wide range of prices covered to cover all budgets. For the bigger things, you may have a few guests go in together and get it for you or people may get you gift cards in the amount that works in their budget that you can use towards the purchase of the bigger ticket item. One great thing is that many stores offer you 10% off items on your list that you didn't get after your wedding so those gift cards can come in really handy.

You may be surprised on how generous some people are when gifts start arriving. So have fun & get what you like.
  • I have a few items that are big tickets and lots of mid ticket and lower ticket range.  And keep an eye on your registry to make sure you have a good mix of price ranges.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Everything I have read says you should have a variety and you should divide it pretty evenly between high, low, and middle priced items.

Some people like parents or grandparents or really close friends will want to spend $200 + on a gift for you so don't feel bad.
  • Add the grill.  $300 for a cookware set is dirt cheap... so cheap that I might double check the quality of the set you are buying, in fact.  That's not to say you can't get a good deal - FI and I ran into a triply calphalon set for $150 at costco one day and just grabbed it because I know that's a $500 set elsewhere... but deals and registries don't usually go together since it's something that has to be available for months.  If it's $300 for four pieces, ok that's probably fine.  But the triply sets usually start at $500, and that's really what you want if you actually cook.

Another $300 total for dinnerware is also not a big deal at all.  Our casual dinnerware is going to cost that.  And then we have formal china at $130/place setting plus serving pieces.

Like PP said, I see the $500 dyson all the time.  I'm increasingly seeing $1,000 cookware and knife sets.  I'm also seeing more and more furniture for several thousand dollars a pop.  And I live in Alabama at the moment, and a lot of people around here still register for sterling flatware (if they don't get it from their families).  That runs $700-$1000/place setting retail.  If I looked at your registry from what you described, I would think that you were actually trying to limit the number of large ticket items.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_expensive-registry-items-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:eeb335f9-3182-42a2-8d23-1c34916c0908Post:e0106c9e-ae7a-4101-bfeb-2e01e57fab0b">Re: Expensive registry items...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Add the grill.  $300 for a cookware set is dirt cheap... so cheap that I might double check the quality of the set you are buying, in fact.  That's not to say you can't get a good deal - FI and I ran into a triply calphalon set for $150 at costco one day and just grabbed it because I know that's a $500 set elsewhere... but deals and registries don't usually go together since it's something that has to be available for months.  If it's $300 for four pieces, ok that's probably fine.  But the triply sets usually start at $500, and that's really what you want if you actually cook. 
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I agree with this too. I don't know how much you actually cook and how much you care about quality cookware, but you may want to think about how much you will use each piece in the set you registered for. Sometimes it's more worth it to register for a few quality pots and pans that you know you want/need and will cook with often. For instance, we registered for a nice 8 quart stock/soup pot, a large heavy non-stick skillet, a few Calphalon triply stainless steel pans in different sizes, a dutch oven and a cast iron skillet. But I cook a lot and wanted to upgrade a few pans I had, and get rid of some of the pans that came in a cookware set that I never use. Just something to think about. 

</div>
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks so much for the help, I'm adding the grill! Thanks for the cookware advice as well, the one I'm currently registered for is a 6 pc cuisenart GGT10 triply stainless steel set. Piece by piece I believe it would be about 700 but on amazon I found a fantastic deal for the set. The reason i went with it was because i wanted a stainless set that was nonstick coated, which is hard to find. I am also registering for a few extra pieces as well. Do you know of any other similar sets?
    Always try to be a little kinder than is necessary. ? J.M. Barrie
  • I agree with everyone you should have plenty of each price range of items.  As long as you have enough of the lower and mid range products I can't see any problem.  Also most stores will give you a discount on things that weren't purchased. 
  • Have plenty in each price range, but don't worry about having several "big tickets"- people will go in on them or give GC's for the store you registered at. I actually just did the GC thing in Oct. because I didn't want to bring a physical gift (wedding in MA, couple lives in CA, there was a shuttle to & from and I didn't want to have a gift on my lap the whole ride ).  We're also getting them a GC to the same place for Xmas so they can get more registry stuff :)
  • There are plenty of people that will be happy to buy big ticket things. H's co workers bought our stand mixer because they knew how much I wanted it and would always ask me about it. We had people buy us $400 gifts and people buy us $6.00 gifts and we are happy with everything. Things like pots and pans we ended up getting when we got our Macy's rewards gift card in the mail.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards