Registry and Gift Forum
Options

What do 40some yr olds register for?

So, we are 2 adults who are combining their stuff. What could we possibly need?  What type of stuff should we register for?

Re: What do 40some yr olds register for?

• Options
    hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2012
    You can have a small list of things that wear out quickly like towels, bedding, dish cloths, etc.  If your list is small most people will just give cash, but those who won't give cash (like me) then have a few options.

If you don't already have it, china, crystal, silver, etc can be registered for at any age.  I've also seen some older brides register for a holiday set because they already have their mothers' general china sets, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Go around your house and make a list of what you would like to replace or upgrade.  The vast majority of people who get married have already set up households  (either together or individually) so it really doesn't have anything to do with age.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    Yep, like the others said I would register for some upgrades or maybe some "splurge" items you never got for yourself, like a nice stand mixer or coffee maker, etc. It's fine to put a few big ticket items on there, as long as you have things in other price points. Sometimes, groups of friends will go in together on a more expensive item.

We've only been married a year and received new towels and dish towels, and I could already use some new ones. Even the nice ones will wear out.

You don't have to register for a lot, but having a small registry gives those guests who like buying physical presents a road map to go off of.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2012
    We were in our 30s when we got married, and had both lived on our own for quite a while.  We found plenty of things that we wanted to add, upgrade, update, etc.  We focused on the special items like the ice cream maker, barware, high thread count sheets, etc.  

My mother is nearly 60, has had a home for 40 years, and is constantly commenting on things for the home that she'd like to add or upgrade around the house.  I don't think there is an age limit on a registry.
  • Options

I went around the house over time and just made a list of things I would like to upgrade. When I was cooking and I saw a pan was old or needing replacing, I added that to my list. I also added sheets and towels, since we use them so often. I think it helps to have a list so that you don't end up registering for junk you don't use. -

• Options
    MoxieMickieMoxieMickie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2012

I'll echo PPs. If you're in your 40s, a lot of your stuff could probably stand to get replaced. Towels and sheets wear out, you get tired of never having a clean spatula, you tossed your rubbermaid instead of bleaching the rotting leftovers, etc. Just pay attention for a few weeks to everything that annoys you around the house.

And kudos for not asking how can you ask for cash.

• Options
    We are 40, own our house together and have lived together for three-plus years, so we didn't register. (my FI also owns every tool known to man, so even Sears and Home Depot are out.) I now regret not making a small registry, though. Turns out we're hosting 14 people in our house for about 4-5 days over the wedding weekend, and we could actually use additional towels, table cloths, blankets, etc. I'm sure a couple big pots or storage dishes would come in handy, too.... I also saw how stained our dish towels are and just bought some new ones myself. Sigh. 
  • Options
    We are 40, own our house together and have lived together for three-plus years, so we didn't register. (my FI also owns every tool known to man, so even Sears and Home Depot are out.) I now regret not making a small registry, though. Turns out we're hosting 14 people in our house for about 4-5 days over the wedding weekend, and we could actually use additional towels, table cloths, blankets, etc. I'm sure a couple big pots or storage dishes would come in handy, too.... I also saw how stained our dish towels are and just bought some new ones myself. Sigh. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards