Registry and Gift Forum

Gift to Groom from Bride

My fiancee and I are exchanging gifts on our wedding day but am struggling with what to get him. Would like to do personalized cuff links and something else as I have a strong feeling he will be purchasing my wedding jewelry and/or something else that is a few hundred dollars. He is EXTREMELY picky with watches and the ones he has interest in are way beyond what I can afford so that's out of the question. Any other ideas out there? Past brides, what have you done?

Re: Gift to Groom from Bride

• I am giving my FI an engraved lighter. He will use it a lot so it works for him. Originally I was going to do a pocket watch but his mom found his dads and is giving it to him. Look into other nice things, the place I got the lighter at had flasks, cigar holder/cutters, coolers, even baseball bats!

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been making my FI an "I love" book, which is basically a scrapbook where I write down something I love about him every day and save things like movie stubs in it.  It works for me because I have over 10 months to go AND he's sentimental like that.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I would recommend doing an "experience" gift -- tickets to a concert of his favorite band/musician, to see his favorite team play a game, a gift card to his favorite restaraunt for date-night...something like that, something you can do build memories together.   Or something like a new digital camera or HD video recorder) that can help you remember other things you do together.  

Not to sound morbid, but I lost my first husband very suddenly after 4 years of marriage. When I woke up the next morning and realized he was gone forever, I was glad that we skipped the big screen TV and new stand mixer and went on a week-long cruise instead (we got back a week before he passed).  I will have those memories forever.  

If he doesn't need anything, then stay away from "stuff" that he doesn't need.  

DSC_9275
  • I'm going a different route and getting boudoir pictures done, and having a book put together of the images. I know he will LOVE it because he always talks about how I'm always so dressed up in work clothes that I never let myself look sexy (I'm a CPA, and I don't think people want a sexy CPA!).
  • als0822als0822 member
    First Comment
    cwaggoner - the boudoir photos seem to me very popular right now. I actually think my fiance would love that as he says the same things and loves photography. However, I'm VERY self conscious.

Curious - are you going to give it to him privately then? I was planning to have our photographer take pics of us exchanging gifts but don't really want that known and/or shared with the groomsmen!
  • I'm struggling with the same thing.  I was thinking of getting him a nice watch, which is pretty traditional, but I love the boudoir photo idea.  I'm really self conscious but I've been working hard at getting into shape for the wedding and my fiance has been noticing my effort, so maybe it'd be a cool thing to do.
    I've seen some samples from other women who've done a boudoir session and they can be very tastefully done and they really can make women of any shape or size look beautiful.  I say go for it if you think he'd love it.  You'll probably love it too!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_gift-to-groom-from-bride-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:f1233538-cf3d-4430-8630-d9409d389428Post:5d41dabb-578b-4fe8-9fd5-4af59cb511f9">Re: Gift to Groom from Bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]cwaggoner - the boudoir photos seem to me very popular right now. I actually think my fiance would love that as he says the same things and loves photography. However, I'm VERY self conscious. Curious - are you going to give it to him privately then? I was planning to have our photographer take pics of us exchanging gifts but don't really want that known and/or shared with the groomsmen!
    Posted by als0822[/QUOTE]

<div>I am also doing this, but instead of giving him a gift before the wedding I am going to do it after. This way he will be alone, and I can still see his reaction!</div><div>
    </div><div>Don't be nervous. He is MARRYING you!! Obviously he likes what he sees!! :) My best friend's advice to me was take a shot or two before the pictures!</div>
  • I'm also doing a boudoir photo book for my FI..  I was pretty nervous going into it, but have known my photographer for years and trusted her completely!  She made everything comfortable and we had a lot of fun with it!  I can't wait to give it to D on our wedding day, and I plan to give it to him at our "first sight."  People won't be able to see what it is, and he will be able to tuck it away after he gets it.  I know he won't show it to his groomsmen since it's something intimate that the two of us can share.

See if your photographer will let you have a drink during your shoot to help stay relaxed...  by no means am I saying get drunk.. those pictures wouldn't be very flattering! 

Best of luck!  I'm sure no matter what you give him he will love, because it comes from the woman he is marrying :)
  • I went the boudoir photo book route as well, I "won" a gift certificate from a local wedding expo. I was pretty nervous at first, but by the end of it I had a lot of fun. My FI knows about it which I was trying to not let him know, but he found the certificate so what can you do? It'll be a surprise to him because I haven't decided when I'll give it to him and I didn't let him pick out any of the ones that are going in the album.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I did a boudior session and loved the pictures. My photographer made a cute little leather book with my favorites. The other gift I'm getting him is a cologne that I picked out that he will wear on our wedding day. From that day on when he wears it we will both think of our wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i'll be doing a boudior album for his gift :) the shoot was included in our wedding package (unknow to my fiance) and then it will just be a seperate charge for the book/prints. i think he will LOVE it, because i'm normally a very modest and traditional person, so i'll probably need a glass or two of wine to feel even remotely comfortable doing the shoot, hehe.

avion had a great point though. my fiance and i have been together for almost 4 years and have gotten to the point where a lot of our gifts to one another for birthdays, christmas, or anniversaries are more experiences or outings than just things that will eventually collect dust or be forgotten about. where are you going on your honeymoon? maybe you could buy an excersion or upgrade package that he would enjoy, such as a day long snorkeling trip or upgrade to a better room that you would both enjoy :) if thats the case, just include some pictures of those items when you give him his "wedding day gift" :) or if he's a big sports fan, perhaps plan a weekend a few months after your wedding to an out of town game so you could make a weekend out of it. with the chaos of the wedding over, it might be awesome to have something like that to look forward to once normal life sets back in :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards