Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Gifts at a destination wedding

What are your thoughts on how much to give (if at all) when attending a destination wedding?  The wedding is going to cost about $2k that I would not have chosen to spend otherwise.  I know some people say you need to view a destination wedding as a vacation, but I would never be spending that much on a vacation, especially since it's 2 months before my own wedding and I have my own honeymoon to pay for!  I just wanted to hear some thoughts on what an appropriate gift is, or if us attending the wedding can be the gift?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Gifts at a destination wedding

• Options
    egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    Gifts are always optional, so you can attend and not give a gift.  You should only give a gift within your means, so if going means you can't get a gift, don't feel guilty.  I would much rather have my guests at the wedding than receive a gift, and I think most people feel the same way (unless they only invited you to get a gift). 

If I'm spending a lot to get to the wedding, I reduce the amount of money I spend on the gift.  I would spend $25-50 on the gift for a destination wedding I was paying $2k to attend, while typically I spend $100+ on wedding gifts.
  • Options
    As always, give what you are comfortable with.  Gifts are never required, and you shouldn't feel like you have to spend something you can't afford.

Personally, I wouldn't spend $2K to go to a wedding, vacation or not.  You know your budget and know what you can handle.
  • Options
    I'm having a destination wedding (it's on a cruise ship preceding our honeymoon), and we are having a small registry with reasonably priced items. We know people can't afford to do both and we are understanding if we don't get that many gifts.
    Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards