Registry and Gift Forum

European pillow cases/pillows

Whats the difference between European pillows and pillowcases to regular ones?  Do you need both? 

Also my fiance and I know his parents are getting us a king sized bed as a wedding gift, do we need/should we register for new pillows?  We both have pillows from our seperate beds now but I never know whats proper/expected.

Thanks!

Re: European pillow cases/pillows

• Unless you both have king sized beds at home, you'll probably want to buy new pillows. King sized pillows are huge and when you buy king sized sheet sets your current pillows will be way too small for the pillowcases that come in it. You could certainly add these to your registry as it couldn't hurt to have a couple extra huge fluffy pillows for your huge fluffy bed (jealous!), but I can't imagine they're very expensive so you could probably just go buy them yourself. I have no idea what a European pillowcase is, sorry.
  • Yes you need new pillows if you are getting a king-sized bed.  A queen fits two standard-sized (what you think of as regular) pillows side by side.  A king can fit up to 3 standard pillows (depends on how long they are) or 2 king-sized pillows.  Standard pillows vary in size despite their name, so I would just register for 2 king-sized pillows. If you buy a bed set that has shams included, it will automatically come with king instead of standard-sized shams.  If you buy the shams separately you can often pick, though sometimes you're limited to standard shams because queen sized beds are the standard by which other sizes are judged in bedding (ie: price they give you for sheets is almost always a queen)

European pillows are those large, perfectly square pillows.  Standard pillows are rectangular.  Euros are a lot taller than standard pillows, so they go behind standard pillows on beds that have both.  You certainly aren't required to have both, but having both does look nice and it makes your pillows fill out a lot.  It also gives you bedframe a taller look, since the euros are visible behind the standard.  If you google something like, "bed with euro and standard pillows" and then look through the pictures you'll see what I'm talking about.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What hoffse said, basically.

If you look through design magazines, you'll almost always be able to see beds put together with both Euro and Standard sized pillows. I've never really had a desire for Euro pillows, but I also have very little room on my bed already, what with the current nest of 6 standard pillows. :)

But also, yes, if you're moving from a Queen bed to a King bed, get new pillows. As PP have stated, King pillowcases are going to be huge on your existing pillows.
  • We just upgraded to a California King from a queen a couple of weeks ago. Like everyone else mentioned, the sheet sets come with king-sized pillow cases, so you'll definitely need king-sized pillows. I didn't realize this until I made the bed and I currentlt have standard pillows shoved in king cases. Not ideal, but I haven't had a chance to upgrade pillows yet. As for the duvet/ comforter, some king-sized come with 2 king-sized or 3 standard cases.
  • Thanks ladies! Definitely going to register for some then! Super helpful!
  • I just got some Euro pillows at my shower and I love them.  They make the bed look so pretty and full.  I feel like my bed is out of a picture now.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards