Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Same item on 3 different registries?

I'm pretty much in LOVE with this fine china pattern. They have it at BBB, Kohl's, and Macy's is getting more in stock (hopefully)

Is it ok to register for the dishes on all these sites to give my guests options on where they shop and how much they want to spend? Also, is it ok to register for the same number (8 4-piece sets, for example) on all of them? Or is this difficult to keep track of?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Same item on 3 different registries?

• Options
    I wouldn't.  I bought an item on one registry for a shower, only to find out that someone else bought the same item elsewhere.  I get the thought you're going for, but I would just put them on the registry of the place they are cheapest.

That being said, I recently purchased a baby gift for my cousin off-registry (the same item that's on her registry) but included the gift receipt in case she really cared.  
  • Options
    OK. Thanks for the advice :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Your guests can shop around for a better deal if they want to, and you should be able to return or exchange extras -- but only register for them at one place.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    What pattern is it?  As far as I know Kohl's doesn't sell china, but maybe they've started since the last time I looked.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    I had a friend do this for all the items that were available at the places she registered, her thinking being not all stores were accessible to all the guests, prices, etc.  This was a nightmare, she got 2 toasters, 2 coffee pots, 3 irons, and 94 pieces of rubbermaid storage containers, and that's just what I can remember.  

Choose one place to register for it, either the cheapest (although keep in mind Macy's is always running a sale, and if you have a coupon, usually the price will be less than BB&B with one of their coupons) or if one registry is majorly lacking and you know it's the most accessible store to guests (this is what we did).  If you really want to get this as a gift, let people know by word of mouth.  Mention it to your mom, close friends, etc. that you're really hoping to get the china.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    See, I disagree with basically everyone else. I really don't think it's a bad idea to split china up on multiple registries because it *does* make it easier on guests who can only get to one of the stores you're registered at. If I'm at Macy's and you're only registered for china at BBB, that sucks for me and if that's what I wanted to get you, that'd be a hassle.

(ETA: The people I know who split it between two stores did 6 place settings & some accessories at each place, so they wouldn't end up with like 24 place settings.)

The only time I think this could be a big issue is when the store has a completion bonus. Like, at Macy's, if you get 10 place settings of your china, the china manufacturer will send you a free gift. If you split it up, you don't get that bonus.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_same-item-on-3-different-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:f98fdf1a-ff85-4510-ba00-a8db4a3455c1Post:245b5183-c649-4a73-b296-9f3526e6e2d1">Re: Same item on 3 different registries?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What pattern is it?  As far as I know Kohl's doesn't sell china, but maybe they've started since the last time I looked.
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]

They sell more casual, everyday china. Nothing too fancy. I looked online before going to the store to get an idea so my FI and I weren't looking around for 100 hours. lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_same-item-on-3-different-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:f98fdf1a-ff85-4510-ba00-a8db4a3455c1Post:76f0dcc4-6d4b-40bb-9449-0c7fadb0e989">Re: Same item on 3 different registries?</a>:
    [QUOTE]See, I disagree with basically everyone else. I really don't think it's a bad idea to split china up on multiple registries because it *does* make it easier on guests who can only get to one of the stores you're registered at. If I'm at Macy's and you're only registered for china at BBB, that sucks for me and if that's what I wanted to get you, that'd be a hassle. (ETA: The people I know who split it between two stores did 6 place settings & some accessories at each place, so they wouldn't end up with like 24 place settings.) <strong>The only time I think this could be a big issue is when the store has a completion bonus. Like, at Macy's, if you get 10 place settings of your china, the china manufacturer will send you a free gift. If you split it up, you don't get that bonus.
    </strong>Posted by GretchenLaRoux[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing that part :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards