Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

NWR: Help! Attire Advice?

Hi ladies,

Soooo.... I'm about as fashion forward as a tree trunk and I need some help.

Background:   The Cancun trip we are going on is a corporate thing with some of our executive VP's and other co-workers.  We have three evening events while we are there:

Welcome Reception & Theme Dinner  - "Resort Casual"

Celebration Reception and Dinner (at the beach) - "Evening Business attire (jacket, no tie)"

I think nice sundresses and maybe some cute wedges are okay for resort casual events.... however I am totally stumped on what to wear for "evening business attire".  

Any advice?   Anything you have would be much appreciated! 

Re: NWR: Help! Attire Advice?

• Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm, this is a tough one.  My first thought would be slacks and a cap sleeve or sleeveless top?  Or what about a dress with short sleeves?

This is from Banana... but kind of what I was thinking:

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That is a cute dress!  I'm going to go check it out!

I was thinking slacks at first too, but then I read that the event is at the beach.    (Which is odd, since men will be wearing dress shoes.... on sand?)   

I'm leaning more for a dress....but most of the nicer ones I have are sleeveless and semi-low cut.   Off to the mall, I suppose!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My sister just bought this dress for one of the "Captain Dinners" on the cruise we are going on next month.  It's very cute on and is dressy enough to go for a business function I would think.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/dresses/work/PRD~743314/Simply+Vera+Vera+Wang+Floral+Satin+Shift+Dress.jsp
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Brianna regarding the dress (cute dress!).  If you find one and it's sleeveless - then get a short sleeved cardigan to go over it; if it's low cut, then buy a cute camisole to wear under it. 

Also, do not underestimate the power of a scarf.  I know, I know - a scarf on the beach!  But, they make really light weight material ones and a scarf makes a great accessory and can make you look more put together. 
  • Options
    angieandjamesangieandjames member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about one of your nicer dresses with a cardigan?  Not sure of the style, but maybe.

I completely feel your pain... on our honeymoon we were kind of underdressed sometimes and I hate that awkward feeling.  At least they're telling you ahead of time what to expect, even if it is in code-words.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies!    I really think I could use a personal shopper, sometimes. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HA HA this cracked me up "I'm about as fashion forward as a tree trunk "!

Love the ideas so far.  Some other thoughts/ideas.  What about the new long dresses?  I think they are so pretty and you don't need heels really. You can easily through a cute cardigan on too!
    INC International Concepts Dress, Spaghetti Strap Empire Waist Printed Maxi
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Oh my gosh, the dress from Kohl's is adorable.  It has all my wedding colors and I may just have to go and find one in my size.  A great possibility for the cute dress for the e-pics.  Praying to the clothing Gods that it there is one in my size and it looks way cute on my body.  :-)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Love Mandaroo's dress! I agree I would do more cocktail dress, but with the beach thing it seems way more casual. Are you sure it's on the beach and not just over looking it? Those could be different attire.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know ... the itinerary says beach.   I'd assume it is not literally on the sand though.

I'm so frustrated that they sent this to us only 7 days before we leave.   :(

I'm scouring online and found some super cute stuff but I just really can't see myself at a beach resort wearing them.    Hrm.  :-/
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it were me, I would wear the dress I got in Hawaii with dressy flip flops and jewelry.  (How the heck are you supposed to walk on the beach in heels?)  I got my dressy flip flops at DSW.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Here are three very cute looks that I think are "dressy-ish", yet could be beach appropriate.

Look 1: Notice the use of the scarf - haha.  You could wear a wedge.

Look 2: I also like these pants, how they hit right at the heel.  You could also do a wedge here, too.  They have these pants in different colors. 

Look 3: This is the dressiest one.  I don't think the cardigan would be too terribly hot.  But, you can get a short sleeved cardigan.  I know they sell them, because I have one on now from there.  The belt helps pull the outfit together.

Do you like any of these?  Also these looks are straight from Banana Republic.  I might have a small addiction to Banana.  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Lacey -  Yeah definitely! Thanks!   I like the 3rd one best..maybe with a short sleeved cardigan.  The 2nd out fit is super cute on the model...but my hips are my biggest flaw so skinny fitted pants usually emphasize the disproportion.  Boo.

I'm going to hit up Banana ASAP.

I'm probably way overthinking this whole thing.  

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_nwr-attire-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:d8788e28-154f-460b-8164-748d06744ba4Post:12175044-aa25-4ed2-a96a-c672329d8879">Re: NWR: Help! Attire Advice?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lacey -  Yeah definitely! Thanks!   I like the 3rd one best..maybe with a short sleeved cardigan.  The 2nd out fit is super cute on the model...but my hips are my biggest flaw so skinny fitted pants usually emphasize the disproportion.  Boo. I'm going to hit up Banana ASAP. I'm probably way overthinking this whole thing.  
    Posted by Tiffany618[/QUOTE]

Since the pants would be skinny and fitted you would want to wear a looser, flowy top, which would probably cover your hips, so they would not be emphasized so much.  I'm not saying hide your hips, I'm just saying wearing something looser/flowy will help proportion your figure better.  HTH.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards