Second Weddings
Options

New to this board, and need some advice

Hi Ladies,I am afraid I made a rookie mistake :)  In my excitement over my fiance getting me a (retired) tacori engagement ring, I didn't think about how hard it would be to find a wedding band to go with it.  Now with 4 months before the wedding, I really don't want to spend over $3k for Tacori to make me a custom one that will work.  Because of the shape, I can't wear a normal band with it.Is it too odd to move my engagement band to my right hand and just wear my wedding band on my left?  I can get something so much nicer (and cheaper!) if I do that...but I feel funny about it. Thanks!

Re: New to this board, and need some advice

• Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do what you want--the rules have been thrown out the window.  My engagement ring was a one of a kind designed in the UK, very vintage looking.  It's an unusual setting, and I had the same issue-if I wanted something that fit, or "matched" I'd have to have it custom made.  Plus, the wedding band would have had to have a notch in it to accomodate the setting of my e-ring.  I wanted a very simple, plain band, and the edging (sort of like little dots all along both edges) is the same as my e-ring.  I believe the wedding band cost DH about $100, and it's in white gold.  However, I didn't want a wedding band with that notch in it (there's a name for it, but I'm having a senior moment, and can't think of it) because I take my e-ring off when I lift weights, garden, kayak, etc. and a notched wedding band alone would have looked really wierd.  I still wear them side by side, although they don't lay flat against one another. I don't care, I like it, and I won't wear many rings on my right hand because I'm always bumping it into things and don't want to damage it.  Maybe that helps.  Or maybe not. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mornin' - and welcome.  First of all, if you love your e-ring - don't consider it a mistake!  Second - looks like we are neighbors.  I live in central Ma.My ering was custom made by my jeweler - and when we went shopping for wedding rings, we went back to the same person to custom make my wedding ring.  We chose platinum and pave diamonds- I think it was around 1200 (3 yrs ago).  Depending on the metal and the presence of the stones, you could have one custom made for your ring for less, I would think. Not sure what you call the indent for the ering, but I call mine the "snuggle spot", which just shows you that I am a bit of a softie about my rings.  It does NOT look so good without the ering, so if I can't or won't wear the ering, I tend to go nekked!  ~Donna
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello!  My ring is similar and I just decided not to have a wedding ring.  I might get a plain white gold band for going to the beach, working out, etc, but mine wouldn't look good even with a custom "snuggle spot" ring, so I'm just sticking with the one.
  • Options
    RosymomRosymom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone.  I had a feeling you would have good advice :) Mine also has that notch, plus it is strangely shaped.  If I knew how to post the picture I would.  The matching ring would look very odd on its own. I think I will go with the two handed solution - plus my fiance likes the idea of my hand being "symmetrical", lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could the two-handed thing, and then for your 10/20-year anniversary, maybe you'll have enough saved up for your custom band that you can have at a vow renewal ceremony. Just a thought. Then you could just transfer your original wedding band to the hand that you'd been wearing your e-ring on all that time.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards