Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

RSVP Cards

Ok so I have a friend who is wanting to bring her mom as her date to the wedding.  Um, sorry but I don't feel like paying for a $65 meal for your mom.  If the mom was a really close family friend that would be different, but I don't know the mom.

On the RSVP card I thought about putting

_1_  seat has been reserved in your name (I would write in the number of seats for each invitation)

___  I accept

___  I regretfully decline

Is this the appropriate way of wording the RSVP card.  Even if I only address the invitation to her, I don't think she will get the point.  Any advice would be great!!!

Re: RSVP Cards

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, that's usually how some people write out their RSVPs so that random people aren't brought to their wedding :)  I hope you get it worked out.  I would definitely tell your friend before giving her the invite that due to budget reasons, you cannot afford for her to add on a guest. 
  • Options
    TCUESW1999TCUESW1999 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This drove me nuts too.  I spread the word amongst family and friends early on that we could not accomodate extra guests outside of who was on the invitation.  I was going to word it the way you had it but decided against it.  I had the traditional Yes or No box and put only the invited guest(s) on the inner envelope.  Out of 200 invitations, I only had 2 people try to bring extra guests and I called both of them up and said we couldn't accomodate them.  Both were fine with it.  Good luck, it can be annoying. 
  • Options
    amberproamberpro member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does your friend know any of the other guests?  If she does, I understand only allowing her 1 seat. But if she is going to be alone and is unfamiliar with anyone else attending the wedding, it's only polite to allow her a guest.  I agree $65 is a lot of money, and I know of many brides who do the "no ring, no bring" thing.  However, I would hate for a guest to be lonely and bored all night because they don't know anyone else.  

However, if she is part of your "inner circle" and will be comfortable alone, I think your idea for an RSVP card is fine.
    photo images_zps41edd072.jpg

Carter born 5/28/11
    BFP 9/27/12 EDD 6/11/13, MC 9wks, no HB

• Options
    kcmedstudentkcmedstudent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input.  Yes she does know some of the other guests.  I would say she knows about 15 other people from college that are invited. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's how I'm going to word mine. Some people just don't get that only the people to whom the invitation is addressed are invited. They try to invite EVERYONE. Like, "Oh, I'm sure it was by mistake that you didn't get an invitation. I KNOW they would love to see you! You should come with us to their wedding!! What a great surprise!" NOT REALLY!!! It's amazing the amount of people that do something like that!
  • Options
    appletango85appletango85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is what I did.

I would do it again but had a lot of check marks and not numbers filled in so sometimes it was a toss up if one was coming or both. It may be more work, but another idea is to write the names of who you want to come on the rsvp card with a yes/no for each person. But the ___ seats works too. I have a PIB of my RSVP card(I think).
  • Options
    almoyoalmoyo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did this, but I hand wrote each person's name on the reply card and had

_____ number attending

_____ number unable to attend
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards