Second Weddings

CONFUSED WHEN IT COMES TO TWO WEDDINGS IN THE SAME YEAR

My Fiancee and I are havng two seperate weddings one here in the states for my family and 1 back in Turkey with his family. He wants to get married over there first in which case how do I go about with the second wedding since we will be already married in Turkey?

Re: CONFUSED WHEN IT COMES TO TWO WEDDINGS IN THE SAME YEAR

• What I think you are talking about is having one legal ceremony, and then 2 receptions. You can't get married twice if the first one is legal and recognized in both countries.

From what I've read on the Knot, most people have one legal ceremony in one country, then a "home reception" or "after-wedding-party" in the other country to share their joy. But it is NOT a "new wedding", and lying to the guests is not to be considered in good taste.

If you both live here, call your party in the US, after the wedding in Turkey a "house warming", or "post-wedding-party", but do not re-enact the ceremony. It's perfectly ok to have someone video the first ceremony where you are married and replay that for your guests if you choose, but a re-enactment seems a bit out of touch.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_confused-when-it-comes-to-two-weddings-in-the-same-year?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:173c718c-4471-4a83-9ab7-15de1abc243cPost:77da7dcc-d296-43bc-9276-12ac5c4e37a9">Re: CONFUSED WHEN IT COMES TO TWO WEDDINGS IN THE SAME YEAR</a>:
    [QUOTE]What I think you are talking about is having one legal ceremony, and then 2 receptions. You can't get married twice if the first one is legal and recognized in both countries. From what I've read on the Knot, most people have one legal ceremony in one country, then a "home reception" or "after-wedding-party" in the other country to share their joy. But it is NOT a "new wedding", and lying to the guests is not to be considered in good taste. If you both live here, call your party in the US, after the wedding in Turkey a "house warming", or "post-wedding-party", but do not re-enact the ceremony. It's perfectly ok to have someone video the first ceremony where you are married and replay that for your guests if you choose, but a re-enactment seems a bit out of touch.
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Well we wont be living here afterwards so i'm guessing that I need to tell my bridesmaids for here that they arent needed then?

</div>
  • edited January 2013
    Since we dont plan on living here in the States to call it a house warming isnt what im looking for. The whole reason Im even trying to do is because my side of  the family wont be able to fly over to Turkey.
  • I see no reason why you shouldn't have 2 weddings.  It's really simple just tell the officiant of the second wedding that you want all the wording of a wedding but since you are already married there is no need to for the legal paper work.  Make sure everyone at the second wedding knows that you're already married so no one will get mad when they find out.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards