Second Weddings
Options

former stepchildren

i have two beautiful 'former' stepdaughters, with whom i have a great relationship. they have both expressed that they would like to be a part of the bridal party...and though i did not give birth to these children, i spent many years helping to raise them. i am on very good terms with their mother. Though these children are a 'product' of a completely different union, they still tell everyone i am their 'other mother'. i would love to have these girls in my wedding. My fiance is supportive of the relationship with the girls and is open to the idea of them being in/at the wedding. from the outside looking in, it may seem outrageous, but i still see the girls on a regular basis through their mother, and since i spent the better part of 8 years raising them from very young ages, it seems only natural to have them beside me. my fiance has a son and daughter, who i get along with very well also. if 'my' girls are on my side of the wedding party, should his daughter be on my side, or his?

my only other thought is to have all the children as honorary attnedants. please help.

Re: former stepchildren

• Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I'd extend an offer to all of the children to be attendants.  Let each choose on which side (bride or grrom) they'd like stand.  Have a great time!
  • Options
    Wonderful, beautiful blended family.  I agree, have them in your wedding party, and have them choose how to line up.  Or forgo the "sides" altogether-- you are already the epitome of the family without sides. 
    Honor attendants are an oxymoron in my mind, they really don't honor anyone.  ~Donna
  • Options
    That's awesome. They sound like lucky girls! 

I'm having all 3 of my kids, 2 daughters and a son, all stand on my side, FI has 2 friends on his side. It made more sense to me for my son to stand up for me, but I would see what his daughter wants. She might preffer to stand with the girls, or might want to be by dad. Either way it will be lovely!

Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Congrats on successfully blending families. Everyone sounds so lucky!

From what I generally see, the females stand on the side of the bride, the males on the groom's side. This can vary based on the relationships/back story, but it would make sense to have them stand on your side. By all means invite them to be in your wedding party.........doesn't sound like there is any reason not to.

Looking forward to hearing all your plans.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards