Second Weddings
Options

So what kind/color of wedding dress are you wearing?

Just curious to see what other 2nd wedding brides are doing...

Re: So what kind/color of wedding dress are you wearing?

• Options
    fireytigerfireytiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm wearing an ivory A-line gown, satin with chiffon overlay and rutching. I didn't get to wear the dress I wanted for my first marriage, so with this marriage I wanted to have a dress I loved.  Here's some photos of the one I tried on when I picked it, this one is white and a size too large so it's not mine. But I don't have photos of mine right now.

• Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wore an Ivory greek inspired dress for our beach wedding--it was the jewelry that was the thing, though.  Sterling silver barefoot sandals, and in Greek style, an armband to match (picture in siggy).
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is my dress for my upcoming wedding:

For my first wedding, I wore a pink floor-length evening dress.
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both of us wore ivory floor length dresses with trains, pearls, veils, and opera gloves.  The first picture is of me, and the second is of NotFroofy.

• Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Probably something simple (no train) and ivory.   NOT strapless.  

It's my second wedding, but his first, and he really wants to see me wearing a wedding dress.  Ivory goes better with  my skin tone, but I wouldn't have  a problem with white.

i'm widdowed from my first marriage, and I really don't want anything that looks like my dress from my first wedding, which was ivory satin, a-line, and strapless.  My tastes haven't changed that much, but I think I would really prefer something not strapless this time.  
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm currently making my ceremony dress, which is similar to an Alfred Angelo style. My reception dress, which I got at a sample sale, is the one pictured below. I'm having the front cut "tulip style", just below the knees in the front, then about heel height in the back.

If you aren't sure what you want for a second wedding, check out what are called "destination wedding dresses", which the above is. The website for the manufacturer of mine, which has a lot of this type of dress, (less fru-fru) is here:

http://www.landadesigns.com/index.php?cPath=6

Remember, you can get a wedding gown you like and it can altered to a shorter length, ie tea length or knee length.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I planned to wear a knee-length Alfred Angelo BM dress, but...I had a close friend who worked at a bridal salon where the owner was retiring.  I went with her to look at the sample gowns not expecting to find anything, but then I tried on this dress...

I debated for a while, we went out for lunch, I thought about it, and I ended up buying it.  It's a very flattering cut for my body, and the full straps were a total seller.  It laces up in the back, so there's no worrying about if it will fit if I gain or lose 2 pounds.  

I didn't really want a bridal gown...I had a magnificent gown for my first wedding and I was dead set against doing a gown this time, but...eh...things change.  FI was happy, he wants all of the traditional wedding stuff, so this suits him. 

I was debating cutting the train off, but I think I've decided to leave it.  My first fitting is May 17, and I'm excited to put it on again, so I think I made the right choice. :) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here is mine:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Soft-Chiffon-A-Line-Gown-with-Ruffled-Skirt-9PK3218_Bridal-Gowns-Shop-By-Size-Plus-Sizes

In Ivory - but that was more based on my skin tone than anything else.

I originally started with the plan of a bridesmaid style dress - in a champagne or ivory color. BUT... tried this on and LOVED it!  It is going to be just right for our Mexican Beach wedding in June! 

I also bought this dress:
    http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_F14336-F14336_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Long-Bridesmaid-Dresses

In black - for our "at home reception" a few weeks later.  I knew I wasn't going to wear the wedding dress to the party, so I needed a party dress.  Everything in a shorter style just didn't feel quite right.  (Like I was more of a guest)  And I went with black because I am going to shorten it so I can wear it again to some upcoming parties in the fall. 
  • Options
    gupsmomgupsmom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine is ivory and love, love, LOVE it!!!

• Options
    Thumper1148Thumper1148 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine is in my signature right now.  But I ordered it in Ivory.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine is below.  For my first wedding, I wore a dress from JC Penney (not a gown), so I wanted something a little more traditional this time.  I LOVE it!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mightyoakesmightyoakes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to three different bridal shops. Th elast place I went was an independent (not a chain) store and the professional that helped me was great. She presented a dress that I would have NEVER considered, because she said the word "lace."

imagewww.inweddingdress.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/b/e/beach-wedding-dresses-BC514A.jpg" alt="beach wedding dress" title="beach wedding dress" />

imagewww.inweddingdress.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/b/e/beach-wedding-dresses-BC514B.jpg" alt="beach wedding dress" title="beach wedding dress" />

Here's me in the dress at the shop (this was four months ago and I've lost 8 lbs and I won't wear the push up bra ;-) In Ivory.

I am removing the tulle that flows from the back because I feel it takes away from the dress.

Now here's where it gets good: the price at the bridal shop was $2,000! Hello, I don't have $2,000 for a dress. So I am ordering it through www.inweddingdress.com for $252! I'm excited.
  • Options
    ahometowngirlahometowngirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

All of these dresses are gorgeous!! 

It makes me really want to start looking.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am wearing an Ivory dress. Nope its not my first rodeo lol, but it is his. we are going to have the wedding of our dreams. Just because ive done it before does NOT mean our day should be any less amazing. So we are going all out! This is my dress, but mine will be in ivory.

http://www.symphonybridal.com/scripts/ViewFullSizeGown.cfm?image=/fall2007/images/symphony/S2009_F.jpg&id=191
    You can't argue with the universe..Well, you can, it just doesn't get you anywhere.

199 Are Invitedimage
    144 Are Most Definitly Ready to Celebrate image
    55 Are Missing Out or Couldnt Find Their Mailbox image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The dress I am wearing is ivory and a traditional gown as FI didn't do the "big one" the first time around like I did.  It has a corset back which ties up (I like this alot) and spagetti straps.  It does have a train but I hate it so the seamstress has been able to cut it to floor length all around and the extra material is being used to make a wrap for later in the evening for me.  Sorry for the photo as its from my cell phone and my oldest daughter took it just after I told she couldn't put it on fb as FI can see it.  He wants it to be a surprise.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I didn't have a wedding at all for my 1st marriage.  The dress I wore came off the maternity rack from Value City and we were married in the judge's office.  Well this is my 2nd go around and FI's 3rd.  He wants me to have the wedding that every girl dreams of so I am wearing a white dress with the train and the whole 9 yards.  When I started planning I read all of the etiquite advide I could find.  And it all says do what you want.  If you want to wear white or ivory then wear it.  If you want to wear a veil (just not the blusher) then wear the veil. 

image 141 Are ready to party!
    weddingcountdown.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    wishonastar01wishonastar01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It seems most of you went with ivory.  Was that a decision based on the fact that this is your 2nd wedding or just preference, looks better on you, or something else?  The reason I ask is that this is my second wedding and although I don't mind ivory, our colors are black and white (fi is color blind and it seemed to fit) =)  Anyway, I think an ivory dress would look weird then, but my mom says that bc it is my 2nd wedding.  
  • Options
    fireytigerfireytiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, I picked an ivory dress because it looked better on my skin tone. It had nothing to do with it being my second wedding, and when it's on me it looks white. I would say, wear whatever you love, don't wear a different color because someone else told you you had to.
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mightyoakes :
    Given that the inweddingdress.com site claims that it doesn't make any dresses for salons, how did you manage to try one on in a local store?  And how could you tell that the ones on the inweddingdress.com site were the same ones you tried on?  Inweddingdress.com appears to make all its own dresses, and like many other Chinese manufacturers, uses pictures of designer dresses to illustrate the replica dresses it plans to make.  Thus, you are quite likely to find that the dress you get is not the dress you expect, but a replica which may be made of different fabrics, have a different quality of construction, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It will be my partner's first marriage, so I am planning on wearing white for him. I don't look good in beige tones, so it'll have to be white white. I am looking for a short cocktail dress in lace or silk. I'll probably buy it off the rack and have it fitted. I'm going to try and wait until a couple of months prior to pick something out because I'm getting back into weightlifting and it's likely my shape will change a bit as I build strength.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have chosen ivory this time because I simply didn't like how I looked in the white gown at my first wedding.  I normally don't wear white as a colour on a daily basis and FI wanted me to be comfortable and happy but quickly shot down an all black dress as he stated "some guests might be uncomfortable with that".
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had planned on wearing a white gown, but it really washed me out, so I went with ivory.

My first dress was champagne and purple, so I was trying to be very different by going with full-on white, but it just didn't work with my uber pale skin.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I read that white dresses sympbolize joy, not purity as many people think, so it's totally fine for us 2nd timers to wear white. :)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am chosing ivory because it looks better with my skin tone. I'd chose white if it looked better on me.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I contacted them and they use the same fabrics. they just don't have the mark up that the shops and designers do. The reviews are all great and I just cannot/will not pay thousands of dollars for a dress that I will only wear for a few hours.
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking ivory because of my skin tone.  But I'm not opposed to white. 

I think ivory would look fine in a black-and-white wedding. 
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a first-timer, but I'm 46--so I like hanging around this board with more accumulated wisdom than some of the others....

But I also chose ivory. I think it's just warmer. I hope it looks better on me, and I suspect it does. But I'm not into much of the big-white-wedding sort of gestalt anyway. Not that there's anything wrong with that....it's just not me.

My dress is also a retro tea length one I picked up for $99.
    Retro/Vintage Inspirations

imageimageimage

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_kindcolor-of-wedding-dress-wearing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:274162dd-b2ca-4012-8d55-03b9bbcdf588Post:8036915e-6251-4d6a-a3de-1293f495d9df">Re: So what kind/color of wedding dress are you wearing?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I read that white dresses sympbolize joy, not purity as many people think, so it's totally fine for us 2nd timers to wear white. :)
    Posted by lindaloulubbock[/QUOTE]
    That's lovely. I certainly am joyful this time around
  • Options
    calo1983calo1983 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i feel much better. ive been trying to figure out ways to incorporate color into my all while wedding dress and...well so far its not working...

i feel kinda funny wearing white but i never got a real dress the other time...
  • Options
    renjon7798renjon7798 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok...I might be the odd ball here.  I choose a silvery blue dress.  It's elegant, but still on the traditional side, with a kick.  I just decided that this is my second wedding, so I'm pushing the limits.  I went all out with my dress.  I'm even wearing a veil, but no blusher or tiara.  Just a one tier cathedrial veil.  Here's my dress, in the color shown which actually has a very pale baby blue tint to it...

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=J1324
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards