Second Weddings
Options

My 2nd, His 1st

My FI and I are newly engaged and starting to plan our small, simple beach wedding.  This is my 2nd marriage, his 1st.  I was married for 2 years to an abusive man and finally worked up the nerve to leave him for the sake of my safety and my newborn baby's safety.  I met Dan, my fiance, shortly after the 1st marriage ended and we became fast friends.  It took almost a year, but we started dating and are now engaged.  YAY!  How do I go about planning this wedding?  Luckily we are both wanting a simple wedding, so that's not a problem.  His family will be flying in from out-of-state to attend.  My family are crazy excited about this wedding, since they weren't very keen on the 1st.  :)  Should I still register for gifts and do the white wedding dress?  My son WILL be involved in the wedding.  He calls my FI Daddy, as he doesn't know his bio dad.  It feels a little silly to be so excited about a 2nd wedding...but I feel as if this is my 1st real marriage.  I guess I'm just needing help on etiquette.  Thanks guys!

Re: My 2nd, His 1st

• Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    If you want a white wedding dress then get one.  You will want to register so that people who want to buy gifts will know what to get you.  This wedding is no different than a first because it is your first wedding to HIM.

The etiquette on this is the same as for a first; you cannot throw parties in your honor, no mention of money or gifts on the invitations... Retread could give you more pointers, I'm sure. 

Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to the board!!
  • Options
    Dh and I did a really small beach wedding, it was just the two of us and the officiant. His first, my second. If you want the white dress, go for it. Yes, register so folks know what to get you.
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    Don't worry about what you want and whether there are any "rules" ..........have the wedding you both want. Wear white if you want, have all the trappings of an over the top wedding if that is what you both want. Have a small or large reception.......it doesn't matter.

Congrats on finding a great guy the second time around.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_2nd-his-1st-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:42773506-fbe9-4c7c-818a-8d545a91b5ccPost:12d890c6-3f54-4d57-973a-a619b6585c14">Re: My 2nd, His 1st</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you want a white wedding dress then get one.  You will want to register so that people who want to buy gifts will know what to get you.  This wedding is no different than a first because it is your first wedding to HIM. The etiquette on this is the same as for a first; you cannot throw parties in your honor, no mention of money or gifts on the invitations... Retread could give you more pointers, I'm sure.  Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to the board!!
    Posted by MikesAngie[/QUOTE]

Be excited...what a GREAT feeling, to be thrilled about Marrying someone you love!!  This is my second wedding...I am widowed so I NEVER ever thought I would marry again, OR be excited about it....Life is sometimes surprising, and it is sometimes short...so enjoy every second of it!!
    Mom of 4....and Sept 2013 BRIDE!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards