Second Weddings
Options

Invite Question

Hey gang! This is my first post...here's my question. This is my 2nd wedding and FI's first. He'd like for me to use my middle name and maiden name on our invites...I do use my married last name regularly. Do y'all know the protocol on this? Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Invite Question

• Options
    LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say use what most people would recognize.  If they are familiar with your maiden name, then fine.  I used first-maiden-1stmarried for my name on our invitations, because I had used my 1st married name for 23 years at that point and not everyone knew my maiden name.  I now use first maiden currentmarried (not hyphenated - maiden is now my middle name).
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used my married name bacause that is how most people outside of my family know me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would use the name that most people know you by.  As much as I hated it, I used my former married name on our wedding invitations because 90% of our guest would not know who I was if I had used my maiden name.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with all above and did EXACTLY what LesPaul did.  ~Donna
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I am using my previous marriage's last name because it's what I go by, and have for a very long time.  There are a LOT of people in our lives, including most, if not all, of our wedding party, that would have no idea what my maiden name is.

I CAN understand why your fiance doesn't love the idea of your ex's last name on the wedding invitation, but he knew you were married before and had that last name when he proposed.  Invitations aren't the place to change things up and confuse people. 

As far as *I* am concerned, the name i have is MY name.  Just because other people have the same last name doesn't mean I'm simply an extension of them.  He loves you, he loves your name.  That's how I view it.

Good luck and congratulations - and welcome to the board!
    10-10-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm in LesPaul's boat too - My maiden name IS my middle name (wasn't given a middle name at birth for that very reason).  I was only married for 7 years previoiusly but kept his name and have had it for 14.  Most people know me by my full name (First-Maiden/middle-Married) so dropping the married would have looked like something was missing.

AFter the wedding I will be First-Maiden/middle-NEWmarried and I can't WAIT!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using First Middle Maiden MarriedLast on my invitations.
  • Options
    SueR13SueR13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used first - maiden - married because that way everyone who sees the invite will know who I am. FI was fine with me using married name - since that's who I am... as long as I used maiden name, too.

New name will be first - maiden - new married.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 112 Invited image 80 Joining the fun
    image 30 Missing out image 2 are total flakes
    RSVP Date 07/20/10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome to the board. I used my first, maiden, and married last name because that is how everyone knows me. I am changing my name to my new husbands immediately after the wedding.
    Kept the married name for the sake of my child who was 2 at the time of the divorce. He's 14 now and understands that I will change my name and has no problem with it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This would be one of the prime reasons I took back my maiden name.  I didn't want my ex-husbands name on my future wedding invitation or my future life.  But, you have kept your married name.  If no one knows your maiden name, you are going to have to use it.  That is the name your fiance met you with, so he should understand.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the responses! I've talked to FI about it and he's cool with me using Maiden and Married for the invites because, as y'all pointed out, that's what most everyone knows me by. I appreciate all of the honest advice!!
  • Options
    gnyzgrlgnyzgrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Fam6, first thing I did after signing the divorce papers was to take back by maiden name.  As for your name.... I agree with everyone, use the name people know you by.  Your FI met you with that name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards