Second Weddings
Options

Kids Activity for Reception

I'm getting married next month and there will be about 10 children there including my son (age 6). We're total foodies so our reception is at our favorite restaurant (we rented the whole venue) with a sit down dinner but kids are welcome.

My question is, what activities can we provide for the kids? All will be 6 or under so not reading yet. I've seen that coloring books or placemats only last about 20 mins. I was thinking about setting up an extra table with legos and children's books (just bringing our own from home). Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Re: Kids Activity for Reception

• Options
    awayagainawayagain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A TV, dvd player and disney movies?   Also, no matter what activites you come up with, hire a babysitter to watch them
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second the baby sitter.  Otherwise, they will be palying tag across your dance floor, and tipping over the cake.  A sitter can keep them engaged in whatever activities you set them up with. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will have a baby sitter taking care and entertaining them. Hopefully everything will run smoothly with no little angels playing across the dance floor or tipping over the cake!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally agree with the PPs, a baby sitter is an absolute must.  I'd do the things you mentioned, coloring books, reading books, and also a few of these things:
    puzzles, stencils, card games (like old maid or memory).  Maybe books on CD so they can listen to someone else read to them?  Typically I'd stay away from movies and TV but in a situation like this, which could last 5+ hours, a disney movie might be a good idea. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    brooks55brooks55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hire a babysitter/kid wrangler.
    I'd suggest looking at www.orientaltrading.com - just got their summer activity catalog - has some really great craft kits to keep kids busy - everything from 'stained glass' suncatchers to decorate your own ballcap/piratehat/backpack. 
    I'm ordering some of these crafts for our Sept wedding once I get a final kid count.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess I'm really curious about this whole "hire a babysitter" thing.

We debated hiring one for the ceremony since parents might want to be able to watch that without having to wrangle kids, but we never considered hiring someone for the reception.  Is it really that uncommon for people to care for their own children when they bring them to an event?  I have to children, ages 4 and 6, I would *NEVER* take them to a wedding reception (in a restaurant or elsewhere) without assuming I would be taking care of them all night and providing their entertainment. 

I made goodie bags for the kids at our ceremony, and we'll have a lego play table and maybe some other activities at the reception if I have time to set them up, but I mostly expect that the 30 kids under age 10 will be dancing the night away and that their parents will be keeping track of them. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards