Second Weddings
Options

I'm new

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the board.   This is both of our second marriage.  I probably shouldn't even be on this board. Before my fiance proposed we said we'd go to the Justice of the Peace and have a small party afterwards.  A small part of me still wants to do that but a small piece of me wants the ceremony/reception too. 

Problem is we have a huge mortgage, three kids between us and plans to do major home improvements (deck, finish our basement etc) this summer. 

Anyway, I'll be hear gathering infomration and asking questions.

Re: I'm new

• Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome Vonnie!!! And congratulations!! 

You most certainly should be on this board.  It's for ladies who aren't getting married for a first time even if it's going the JOP route. Marrin did just that and it was lovely at least what I could tell by the pictures and her descriptions of what they did.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!

I agree with Angie, no matter what kind of ceremony/party you have, you belong here.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucket June 2012 Siggy Challange - Shoes
  • Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, please stay.  DH and I had a ceremony with just the two of us, done by a Notary (the only requirement in FL).  It was lovely and much more intimate and romantic than my first wedding in 1985.  So, we're here to help you if you need. Or talk you down from the ledge.  :-)   Because even though I didn't have the big ole' throwdown, I had my moments of panic, too, and the ladies here were great. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    debi1941debi1941 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations and welcome...

Big or small....you definetly belong here...!
  • Options
    mybooboosmybooboos member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations and Welcome!

Whether it's a lavish affair, or small and intimate, it's still an opportunity to celebrate your love and its union.  You and your FI need to decide what works for you within your budget, so that you both have the day that you want.

Maybe a compromise, in which you have the JOP, but have a lively brunch or dinner party at a restaurant afterwards?  There are a lot of choices out there for you, and we're here to help!
    Presentation is everything!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congratulations!  Of course you should be on this board!  Why not? 

We're a pretty fun bunch ... with lots of stories to share.  Many of us have tight wedding budgets.  Most of us have mortgages (in my case, we have two ... mine and FI's, eek!).  And some of us have on-going house debacles that make us re-think the wedding budget on a weekly basis.  Oh yeah, and kids on the way to college??  A few of us have that, too.  Don't let everyday life stop you from having fun, girlie thoughts about the wedding.  C'mon ... join the fun!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!  I agree with all pps - stay and read the boards.  Lots of great info here!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome Vonnie. Yes, you belong here! Many of the conversations have NOTHING to do with weddings, it's just the ramblings of women with mortgages, kids, etc.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_im-new-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:577b06d2-f1a7-4413-a0f3-d339cb183d06Post:d1f8f6aa-0590-4c46-9903-3e02677371c8">Re: I'm new</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Have the JP come to your house. You can have a small, affordable wedding with your family and friends.</strong> David's 99 gown sale is going on right now, by the way...go hunt for the dress!
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Our photographer mentioned a wedding he recently worked, similar to what you refer to above ... JP, bride, groom and their bird.  Awww ...
  • Options
    Lilaclover88Lilaclover88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome Vonnie! 
    Each of us here have our own story or past that has led us to The Knot! So you Totally belong!
    We also considered a JoP or courthouse wedding,but realized we both needed a special way to start our life together. We're inviting 25-30 family members to share our day. It's all about what makes you comfortable and especially happy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations and definitely stay.  This is my favorite board because the ladies are smart, mature funny and have some history.  I went into wedding planning fully thinking that the wedding industry is out there ready to "get me" if I'm not vigilant, and I thought much of the wedding traditions were silly, expensive and certainly not for a smart, mature woman.  So, I planned a wedding that worked for me - very small, elegant and romantic - and, if I could go back and do it all over again, I wouldn't hesitate one second. 

By all means, have your day, whatever that means to you.  Everything is possible, and most of us here are delighted to help and share our experiences, but most of us, because we are a bit older, won't hesitate to tell you something like, "Oh you really don't want to do that because ..."  We're a fairly outspoken group, but very nice.  Do stay and start planning your day; it will be more fun than you expect.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the board, ask us anything, we generally have an answer! You can do a very beautiful small intimate wedding with meaning. We'd love to hear all about it too!!!
  • Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the board!  Come down to NC and I will share the church with you.  You can have your wedding after we have ours - I dont mind, and the decorations can be used again Smile
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards