Second Weddings

Groom's cake

I get a question for you ladies. Before living here I haven't heard of the groom's cake and ordering this was not in my plans. But my stepdaughter spent a lot of time doing a pretty ceramic plate with Iowa state format (where we will be getting married and FI home state) and with two models of me and FI dressed as bride and groom and holding hands, everything in our wedding colors. It is so nice of her and so pretty that I wanted to add to the wedding looks and FI came up with this idea. So, when and where we are supposed to serve this cake? At the rehearsal dinner or at the wedding reception? I'd love to have it at the rehearsal dinner because we will have a lot of desserts at the wedding dinner. Please, give me your suggestions!!!

Re: Groom's cake

• AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think if you have enough desserts already planned for you reception, then having the Groom's cake at the RD will be fine.

When I was growing up, the groom's cake was always a mini-cupcake of some kind of spice cake, not frosted, and wrapped up in tulle.  I never knew of an actual "groom's cake" until I watched Steel Magnolias. 
    Anniversary
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I never heard about a groom's cake until I joined the Knot!

It was very sweet of your stepdaughter to do what she did. If it were me, I'd ask her, since she may be disappointed you might use this at the rehearsal dinner and not the actual wedding. Is she the type of person who likes to show off her skills? Or is it enough that YOU know what she did?

Even with a lot of desserts at your wedding, maybe instead of using the cake topper on a cake, you put a small dessert (call it a groom's cake if you want) on the plate she made, put the cake topper on it, and display it proudly on your dessert table. Maybe have a mini-cake in a flavor your fiance loves, and even cut it, making sure to get pictures with her gift in them.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls, I will use the ceramic plate - that was her gift for us, and she had no idea that I could use it in our wedding, so she is surprised and very happy with it - in a Groom's cake that will be served in the RD (will be a formal occasion) and of course I will give her the deserved credit for it. Unfortunately is too big  and sort of heavy to be a cake topper.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards