Second Weddings
Options

Help! Dress shopping?!?!

This is my first time posting on this board-- I just got engaged 10 days ago.  I need some advice/guidance.  I'm getting married in October.  It's my 2nd wedding.  I had a HUGE big wedding the first time around with 250 people and a massive budget.  I was 22 and it was a fairy tale.

I'm 35 now, and have different priorities.  I want a fun and low-stress wedding.  Something that is meaningful to FI and me, and is an enjoyable, special vacation.  We're going to Vegas with DS8, our families and a few special friends.  I'm so excited!  It seems perfect for us.

My problem is... I can't figure out what to wear.  I want a shorter dress (tea length).  No veil or train 'cuz they don't feel like me right now.  I don't know where to look.  I can't get into the idea of going wedding dress shopping.  It feels like too much.  Then I look at department stores, and none of the dresses look appropriate for a bride.  I also look at dresses in terms of morgage payments now, something that didn't occur to me at 21.  I'd rather spend money on my house than a dress I'll wear once.

I want a dress that feels right for me, and I am a mom, who isn't looking to be a princess, but wants to feel like a bride.  Any ideas?

Thanks~
Emily

PS:  I have several friends who have gotten remarried, and had wonderful formal, fully wedding dresses.  I think that's completely acceptable if that's what you want.  It's just not what I want right now.  (I didn't want anyone to think that I was saying that I shouldn't/couldn't wear the long, flowy white gown.)

Re: Help! Dress shopping?!?!

• Options
    mybooboosmybooboos member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations on your engagement, and welcome to the boards!!

When's your wedding?  We love details...

There are plenty of short/tea length dresses out there - many in styles that would allow you to wear them again, so it's not a 1-use item.  Many of them are reasonably priced - with some under $100.  Either start searching web sites or wedding magazines for the style that you like, then hit some of the bridal salons or department stores in your area.  Now that warmer weather is approaching, stores will have a greater selection of shorter, white dresses, that may meet your needs.

Good luck!
    Presentation is everything!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement!

I agree with the prior posters, you can find whatever you want. Walk into local bridal salons without an appointment, and just peruse their wares. Do it more than once if you have time. Now is an especially good time to be looking because it's prom season and while many of the dresses are for younger people, the styles aren't always younger.

Most of the major retailers have wedding departments online, ie Macy's, Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor, J C Penney, Dillard's, etc.

Look at websites like www.unique-vintage.com.

Looking forward to hearing more about your plans

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome.  Along with the info given, you might search for destination dresses.  Alfred Angelo has some very pretty dresses in their mother of the bride section that come in different colors.  You could get white, ivory or another color if you wish.

Happy planning! - Teresa
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130image Invited to dance the night away!
    92image Want to show their best moves!
    38image Have two left feet and won't be dancing!
    0image Are too embarrased to say they don't dance!

• Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want something that is clearly a "wedding" dress, but in a tea length, you might check out Dolly Couture.  Or you could consider something that is not a specialized wedding dress at all, but just something that makes you feel beautiful, and could be worn again for other occasions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I too wanted a short dress this time around. The dress I got is actually a BM dress but I I got it in white. You might want to try that.
  • Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and Congratulations!!!

I agree with the previous posters and was going to share the same information at Sue-n-Kevin.

Happy planning!!  Please let us in on the details!
  • Options
    mightyoakesmightyoakes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To save on $$, you can find the dress you "love" and then order it through www.inweddingdress.com they are like 5 times less expensive than retail.

Congrats!
  • Options
    skerrickrnskerrickrn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to David's bridal.  I picked a bridesmaid dress that I ordered in a pale silver color for my winter wedding.  It looks so nice and was on sale for about $100
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards