Second Weddings
Options

Kids question

I am not sure how to handle this but it bothers me. 

This is my FI's second wedding and my first, we both are in our 30's and he has 2 kids-ages 6 & 4 from his first marriage.  We plan to add more kids to our family and lately I have been asked from a lot of people- Do you want to have more kids and the answer I give them is "yes, we are hoping to add to our family" and the response I get most of the time is "OH".

He went through a nasty divorce and my family and friends are excited about the wedding and adding to the family.  His family is happy he is happy with me and now they are more excited about the wedding but I get the "OH" from his family and lot of older adults both coworkers and family friends.

It bothers me but I don't know what to say to them and how to take it.

Re: Kids question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would just smile after they reply "OH" and say "we're very excited to get started after the wedding on blending our families together and adding to it!" It'[s really noone's business and it's something only you and your FI can decide. I get that "OH" response at times when people ask me if I'm having kids and I say no! They can't believe that I could possibly want to be childless! It's only our decision to make since noone else can live my life for me :)

• Options
    blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know what you mean!! I have kids from my first marriage, my fiance has none. (never married)

My kids are older (I had them quite young) and when anyone asks I tell them we are excited to add to our family. They usually respnd by saying "oh" or "why?" or "why start over?" or "well, I guess he would want one of his own"--which I hate!

I ignore it, I restate that we are excited to have kids and move on. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could answer, "By 'Oh', I am sure you mean oh how exciting to have the opportunity to raise a big loving family.  At least that's how we look at it."  That will close their wide open mouth, and help them take their fat foot out of it.  Then beam a lovely smile at them and change the subject. ~Donna
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

LMAO RetreadBride and right1thistime!

I guess I'm more "less is more". I'd probably say something like "that's something we haven't decided, but we'd be happy either way".

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't you just wonder about people? I mean really.

As much as I would want to do a Shirley McClain "Wheezer" in Steel Magnolias, I'd probably just smile and then silently go off on them!
  • Options
    WildMageletWildMagelet member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I understand the "Oh".  Someone asked FMIL a few years ago about grandchildren and she said "Oh, I'm done." and I was thinking WTF?  How exactly do you think it's your decision?
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd just glare.

I wish you lots of luck going forward. :) 
  • Options
    sunshine9779sunshine9779 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Change the ages of FI's kids to 13, 14, and 15 and your story could be mine. Why WOULDN'T I want to have another child?! And thanks for the out loud snort of laughter, Retread!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards