Second Weddings
Options

Renewal of vows/ wedding that never happened

So here's the thing, my husband and I had a super short engagement due to circumstances we couldn't control and so we ended up going to the courthouse and having a small thing with family at a resturant after. I never got to do any of the traditional stuff and my husband and I have been talking about doing a celebration for our 3 year with family and friends to kinda make up for that. I'd still like to incorporate some aspects of an actual ceremony like exchanging vows or speeches and first dances but I don't know if it would be too wierd for everyone if we tried to plan out an actual ceremony when we've already been married for a couple years..I know it would mean a lot to my family to do something at least and it would mean a lot to me to redierect the focus on why we got married and share that and our faith based marriage with our loved ones. My husband doesn't feel comfortable spending a lot of money on something that isn't an actual wedding but we both agree that it might be a little wierd and out of place, not giving the meaning that we want to convey. What do you guys think?

Kate

Re: Renewal of vows/ wedding that never happened

• Options
    I would suggest waiting until a milestone anniversary (maybe 10 years) and have a big anniversary party and vow reaffirmation.

My husband and I had a JOP ceremony 25 years ago.  At the time, I thought our reasons were important but shortly after, I was really sorry that I didn't make a different choice and have a traditional wedding/reception.  I decided then that we would have a big bash for our 25th anniversary.  It's been a long wait (and amazing journey) but our party is next week!  

Ultimately, the important thing is the marriage, not the wedding.  The years go by so quickly...enjoy every moment!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks, yeah I think that's what we have kinda come to an agreement on and we can still incorporate some of the wedding aspects like first dance and vow exchange in our case. We really just want it to be meaningful and important not just to have a wedding. I think we're genna plan for our 5 year to allow time to save for other milestones like buying a house. But it's so true, time is going by so fast! Thanks again
  • Options
    Yeah we're planning for our 5 year which isn't too far away and will give us the time to save up for it. The honeymoon isn't that important, what we want to focus on is the reasons why we got married and to share that with our family/friends and to be able to proclaim it before God in a more meaningful way, not standing in front of a judge.We might do a "honeymoon" get away trip at that time too but we'll see. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards