Second Weddings

Meeting with the priest. eep! - UPDATE

So, tomorrow morning I'm meeting with our parish priest to see where things stand re: my eligability to marry w/in the Church.  From everything I've heard/researched so far, I probably won't have to go through a full annulment, but tomorrow's the day where I get the final word.

Pretty nervous/excited/scared.  I've been putting off making any planning arrangements until I know for certain I'll be able to have a Church wedding on the date we've picked.

Fingers crossed?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Meeting with the priest. eep! - UPDATE

• edited December 2011
    Prayers are with you, It's even harder being a Christian and going through a divorce and second marriage.
  • KamakananiKamakanani member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks.  FI actually helped me find my way back to the Church, so being able to celebrate our marriage as a Sacrament just means so much to both of us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

• edited December 2011
    good luck and let us know how it goes- I have a good feeling for you and your FI- if god had a hand in bringing you together, he may just help out you being granted your church wedding as well!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck and I hope you get answers you can accept.
  • edited December 2011
    I met the priest last night for the same reason and found put my specific case will be very complicated and time consuming. I am pretty upset. I hope yours goes better than mine.
    edited December 2011
    Lokilola - Sorry to hear about that.  My prayers are with you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

edited December 2011
    Just finished meeting w/ the priest.  It's as I was hoping - need to just do "lack of form" which he'll help me process when he gets back from vaca in August.  Now I just need to ensure the chapel we want to use is available on our date, and then put the wedding date on the church's books to ensure we have the priest, too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_meeting-priest-eep?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:928c4538-25c3-47be-b8c3-1bade37a910ePost:4c4d11da-f9f6-417a-aaac-c282994b9e8d">Re: Meeting with the priest. eep!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Prayers are with you, It's even harder being a Christian and going through a divorce and second marriage.
    Posted by alexandrastrout[/QUOTE]
    Serioussly?  oh yeah. That's right because divorce is so mmuch easier for a non-chhristian.  You nneed an eduucation.  Fortunately I'm here to give it to you.  
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
    edited December 2011
    I don't think the comment was intended to say that divorce is any easier for non-Christians.  My first marriage was interfaith, with a civil ceremony.  I think the comment was intended to state that certain religions require extra hoops to jump through in order to remarry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    But unless you know EVERY religion's hoops, you should not make a statement like that.  And that IS the statement you made. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
    edited December 2011
    what statement are you accusing me of making?  I merely tried to help clarify what I believed was a misunderstanding between two people who posted on a thread I started.  I did not, in my reply, intend to isolate any particular religion over another.  I merely intended to comment that I believed that the poster you were replying to was trying to say that some religions make second marriages more challenging than others. 

It is not my belief that any one religion is better than any other, nor am I trying to say that divorce is ever easy on anyone, in any case.  As a child of a divorced family and a woman who had to leave a bad marriage herself, I know it is never easy, and it impacts more than just the two people who were in the marriage.

I would appreciate it if you take time to look into who is stating what before throwing blame.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• avk&jdbavk&jdb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just trying to be a bit empathetic to the poster. I was replying to HER on HER situation. Not anybody elses, nor did I say this was my view on divorce or that I have any idea what hoops anybody with whatever specific religion they associate with need to jump through to get re-married.
    I can only speak for myself, everybody's divorce and re-marriage is different. In my case I'm having a lot of issues with the so called Christian community in my life judging me for the choices I am making in this particular area.  I am lucky to have had a relatively drama free, amicable divorce, and have found the true person I want to spend the rest of my life with.
    I appologise if anybody took that as a close minded, holyer than thou statement. It was absolutely not intended to be, and it is not at all how I would hope to be viewed on this board. I should have said "It's tough" not "It's harder". I don't live on these boards I just read it at work and thought I'd jot down a supportive reply.
    And I'm not sure what "eduucation" you think it is that I "nneed" and how exactly you think you educated me, but you need to take a step back before you get so inarticulately defensive about a prayer of support to someone else.

That said, I'm glad to hear that you are one step closer to the wedding you've been hoping for and I'm sorry to have inadvertently caused unnecessary drama on your thread :/
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    avk - Compared to the drama I left, this is nothing!  :)  No worries, and thanks for the support.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards