Second Weddings
Options

***Politics****

So...obviously not wedding related. 

Although I am a very liberal left wing Democrat, I have found myself more and more dismayed at the partisan politics in our government.  Even when items that are high on my personal political agenda have been achieved, it frustrates me when that has been done in a cram it down your throat, too bad so sad manner.  I have strong opinions about some of the opposing party participants, of course, but my own party is not without some sore spots as well. 
At first when the finger pointing at the Sarah Palin website for the crosshairs map and the "reload" statements came about after the Tucson tragedy, I was glad to see that style of violent imagery being denounced.  I am personally not in favor of those images.  However, as emotions have settled down, I agree that it is quite obvious that mental illness caused the tragedy, not gun violence imagery. 

When I heard that the members of the House and Senate might sit in an integrated non=partisan manner at the State of the Union Address, it really hit me how RIGHT that feels.  In my state, we have one Republican and one Democratic Senator for the first time in a really long time.  Why should they sit across the aisle like that?  Are they not both there to represent my state?  Are they not both there as members of the United States Senate?    This really appeals to me.  Because while I am a Democrat, I am first and foremost an American.  I am patriotic to my country before my party. 

So anyway, this morning I emailed both of my Senators, my Representative, John Boehner, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid to encourage them to sit together as the leaders of our country.  ~Donna

Re: ***Politics****

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nice message Donna. Sorry, my post is long, but politics is one of my "things" LOL

I agree with everything you said. Living in Michigan, most of the state is Democratic, and I can't remember the last time we had a GOP Senator. There are several GOP members of the House from Michigan, as throughout the state (like many) there are pockets of conservatives. My rep is Sander Levin, brother to Senator Carl Levin. Love them both for what they do for our state, and our area.

My son is VERY political, majoring in Public Policy/Political Science at GWU in DC, graduating with his Masters in May. Whenever he visits, as he did for 3 weeks at Xmas, it's always fun to talk politics with him. He's so SMART, and knows so much, and it's just fun.

I was so busy raising my kids alone that I never gave a hoot about being involved in politics. I would just sit back and watch and bitch about whatever was happening. I overcame this apathy before the 2008 election, however, because I was spurred to believe that I needed to make a difference for my kids. I became involved for the first time. Several months before the election I read that there was an Obama "office" opening up in my county. I went there to talk to the (mostly) youngsters who were running it. It was part of the "grass roots" everyone talked about afterward. I then spent all my free time for months working at an office that was walking distance from my house, sometimes with my (then) 14 year old daughter, making calls, going door to door, to get out the vote. I felt good about what I did, and seeing my shy daughter open up to the possibilities of becoming involved was great.

Regardless of your political affiliation or beliefs, I would urge everyone to become involved if you haven't previously. I felt such a sense of patriotism having done this. For years I thought one person could not make a difference. But the thousands of phone calls, door knocks, made me feel as though I did. I still keep in touch with the youngsters who I came in contact with. We even put up a couple of young gals in my spare bedroom over the weeks before, who came here from other states to work as organizers. I saw two of them when we were in DC in July, one works at OMB and the other works for a non-profit.

I have had to take a step back from this because of how busy my life is right now. I have stopped watching political shows, because yes, it has become odious even to me, even if the pundit is liberal. But every time I go to visit my son in DC, I have a new surge of patriotism. I am terribly troubled by the shooting of Rep Giffords, and now see how the people who run for these office are putting themselves at risk.

I don't blame Sarah Palin or the rhetoric. However, I am very troubled by the lack of mental health assistance that exists in our country. I see it every day with my fiance's 30 year old son who is so addicted to alcohol, and he cannot get the care he needs. He spends months in a "home" with other alcoholics, but because he has no health care, cannot get psychiatric care. He shuffles in and out of hospitals every time he overdoses on alcohol. My fiance has done everything he can over the past 5 years to try to resolve this, but he cannot carry his son on his health insurance because he is not a full time student.  Jared Loughner, and his parents, obviously did not have the appropriate resources or access to help either.

And, I do send emails to reps or senators when I feel strongly about something. Thanks for this reminder Donna, I think I'll send some as well!
  • Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that the right would call me a "lib" (as if it's a dirty word) and the left would call me a conservative.  I'm all over the map:  Pro-Choice, anti-gun control, etc.   What really bothers me lately is that the left isn't factoring in limited resources into their plans, and the right just seems ANGRY, ANGRY, ANGRY.   So they've both lost me, not that either side had me to begin with, but still. 

I think that many people respond to the left because the messages are more positive, and that people in need will be helped, although some view that as a hand out, and others view it as patriarchal. 

My answer, because by law I can't run for office due to my current employment, is to do stand up.  I signed up for a class beginning in February!  :-P  
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards