Second Weddings

Wearing White... or not...

This is going to be my second Wedding and my Fiance's first. I made the choice not to have a church wedding this time since it was my second and it did not feel right. We are planning to get married in my parent's backyard since it is out in the country and has a gorgeous pond and a hand built Gazebo both created by my Dad. I am probably going to wear boots with my dress since we are planning to do a little bit of bootscootin at the reception!
I cannot decide how I feel about wearing a white dress for my second wedding. If I do I will probably add a sash in my wedding colors. I plan to find something simple and pretty, a little more casual since it will be a casual rustic family affair. I found a very pretty dress with a large pink floral print on white with a bit of black accents. I want a non traditional wedding but I am afraid it may be too distracting. I dont want to offend anyone either way. Then again it may not photograph very well either lol.
Any thoughts? Anyone wear something other than the white/ivory/etc traditional? Any regrets if you did? Or regrets that you didn't?

Re: Wearing White... or not...

• MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm wearing a formal white wedding gown.  My FI and I agreed that this, our dream wedding would be formal and would be given all the respect a first wedding is given as it is our first wedding to each other.

If you really want a church wedding then have one there is nothing that says you can't. 

The only thing that a second or tenth wedding must do is follow the rules of etiquette, and not some outdated version of what second brides should/shouldn't do.  Don't directly ask for gifts, be polite, charming and gracious.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The dress you've chosen sounds nice.  I'm trying to imagine boots with it (biker boots? cowboy boots?).  Do you have a photo?

For my first wedding (1992), I wore a custom-made light pink, floor length dress (more cocktail/black tie than bridal gown).  I loved it and received a lot of compliments. 

Fast forward to this summer, I am wearing this:

with these shoes (maybe, if the colors are complementary IRL):

• edited December 2011
    I am wearing teal.  It is a single strap with flowers, trying to descide if I am going to shorten it or not.  Sorry I don't have any pictures of the dress it should be in soon.
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I doubt anyone will be "offended" regardless of what you wear. Personally I wasn't comfortable wearing a traditional wedding gown for my second wedding. I know white has nothing to do with virginity (and if it did, I wouldn't have been able to wear it the first time either!), but my wedding to DH was very small and a white gown felt inappropriate to ME.

I went to a special occasion dress shop and looked around till I found a gown that I thought was really pretty and felt right -- I tired on all different styles and colors and ended up with a gown in the palest pink chiffon -- it was very light and flowy and made me feel beautiful. When I ordered it, I saw that it was technically a "mother of the bride" dress.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm wearing ivory, which basically looks like white.  I got a bridesmaids dress that comes in ivory, so it was very cost effective.  When my dad got remarried, his wife wore light blue.  You can pretty much choose anything, but for photos I think solids look the best.  That is just my opinion though! 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I think you should wear something that makes you feel beautiful.  It doesn't matter if it is bridal or not.  If it makes you feel good that day, then that is all that really matters.  Don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
  • fireytigerfireytiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At both of FI's grandmother's weddings, she did not wear white at all. The first one she wore a dark blue dress, and the second wedding she wore a light blue dress and they got married in her living room. It's all about what YOU want it to be. If you don't feel comfortable with the big white dress then don't wear it! At the end of the day, you'll still be just as beautiful regardless of what you wear, and you'll still be just as married.
  • edited December 2011
    I was told several times that it wasn't appropriate for me to wear white at my second wedding and it really pissed me off.  BUT, I ordered an ivory dress anyway.  GRRR!
  • fireytigerfireytiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_wearing-white-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:9e7f0131-b45d-4d65-8dbf-9492c3ee9c30Post:4475ac85-4142-4861-87fa-a1c1555cba02">Re: Wearing White... or not...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was told several times that it wasn't appropriate for me to wear white at my second wedding and it really pissed me off.  BUT, I ordered an ivory dress anyway.  GRRR!
    Posted by NMH2011[/QUOTE]

Ditto this. I got told that a lot too, but my dress is gorgeous, ivory, and exactly what I had always wanted but never got. :)
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For my first wedding, I wore a blue denim dress and we were married in a barn!

This time, I am wearing a white wedding gown and we are getting married in a church, with the BP and the reception and all. 

I think you will be fine with whatever you wear - it is your day, do what you want!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I wore a white gown that was not a wedding gown to the first wedding.  This time I have a beautiful ivory chiffon dress.  I felt beautiful when I put it on and that was mattered to me.  I can't wait to see FI face on our day!  Choose what makes you feel wonderful
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wore Ivory for my second wedding, on a beach (Pic in siggy) and wore white satin, tea-length that I designed for my first one in 1985.  I didn't feel comfortable getting married in a church either, the second time but that's because I'm not Christian.  :-) 

Anyway, wear what you want.  There's a designer, though, that you might be interested in--not sure what your style is, but I've seen other ladies wear boots with these dresses.  They're not cheap, but not thousands of dollars, either:  Martin McCrea.  I tried on one, but I wasn't the right body shape for it. 

The only regret I have about my dress was that I didn't love it. Everyone else did, but it was just "meh" for me.  I tried on, literally, hundreds of dresses and never found one that was JUST what I was looking for.  So, when I walked out of the dressing room and my then fi (now DH) said WOW! and everyone else said I looked beautiful, I knew it was the dress for me. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • IRRWMIRRWM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married outside in July and I wish I had had a simple white cotton dress, but had become enamoured of an ecru colored flapper style.  Being too big, too practical, and too pregnant, I had a similar style made in a champagne charmeuse....a beautiful pinky/peach...but it was HOT and a simple sundress with wildflowers would have been so much more appropriate.  Hope this helps...mainly, have fun, get pictures, and cherish one another--the day passes, but the marriage is what lasts.
  • edited December 2011
    Im making my dress and there is nothing white about it. FI thought Id wear white, but its more of a preference of not liking white that has me wearing a silver sheath dress with a royal blue with silver oriental design corset...
    The only one that has seen it on me is my daughter who is my maiden of honor
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards