Second Weddings

No, we don't WANT a do-over!

So, for all you folks who have gotten tired of already married women wanting to have another "wedding," here's a new twist.  Ever since the Maryland legislature passed same-sex marriage, we've been getting questions about whether we are now going to get married in Maryland.  Umm, no.  Because, you see, we are (how do I put this?) already married!

We had a wedding.  It was a lovely wedding.  It was exactly what the two of us wanted.  Most of all, it was the day that we finally got to be legally married.  And our friends celebrated that fact with us.  But each of us hopes she will never have another day like it, because we hope that we will stay married for the rest of our lives.  And if we are already married, then we aren't going to have a ceremony in which we pretend to get married.

So if I get asked this question one too many times, and am found running around downtown DC with a machete, will you folks kindly explain to the nice police officers what it was that set me off?  ;-)

Re: No, we don't WANT a do-over!

• That is an interesting twist:-)   I think when people ask you that, they are trying to show their support for same-sex marriages in Maryland, rather than suggest that you aren't already married to each other.    Personally, I think it's great that more states are allowing same-sex marriages -- it's about time!  
    DSC_9275
  • Y'know 2D, if I could reach out and kiss you right now... I would.    If you were here saying you wanted a do-over since the law is what prevented you from having the wedding in your hometown @ the time you originally chose to get married, I could even get behind you on that.  And yet....you value and cherish the wedding that you had, at the time & place that you had it.  Brings a tear to this old married hag's eye, don't ya know.  :)  ~Donna
  • I think what you said is a great and honest opinion.  I believe that marriage is marriage regardless of if it is heterosexual or same sex marriage.  Two people who love each other should be able to have the same weddings, same laws and same privilages as a man and woman do.  I am glad maryland has finally gotten aboard on this.  But as long as you know what you want and know that it is already been done then they should respect your wishes on it.  Good luck

I married my best friend, my heart and soul! Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • *Hugs* I would even go to law school just to become your defense attorney if it came to that. It is about time more states are legalizing same sex marriage. Sadly in FL it may never come to pass. 

May you both have a long and healthy life together filled with tons of happiness. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_no-we-dont-want-a-do-over?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:a692f7b6-0bb3-442c-a54c-338f2383797dPost:f78640a9-7d45-4777-9dcb-c150ac651ff8">No, we don't WANT a do-over!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, for all you folks who have gotten tired of already married women wanting to have another "wedding," here's a new twist.  Ever since the Maryland legislature passed same-sex marriage, we've been getting questions about whether we are now going to get married in Maryland.  Umm, no.  Because, you see, we are (how do I put this?) already married ! We had a wedding.  It was a lovely wedding.  It was exactly what the two of us wanted.  And most of all, it was the day that we finally got to be legally married.  And our friends celebrated that fact with us.  But each of us hopes she will never have another day like it, because we hope that we will stay married for the rest of our lives.  And if we are already married, then we aren't going to have a ceremony in which we pretend to get married. So if I get asked this question one too many times, and am found running around downtown DC with a machete, will you folks <strong><font color="#0000ff">kindly explain to the nice police officers</font></strong> what it was that set me off?  ;-)
    Posted by 2dBride[/QUOTE]

Lisa: Officer, officer! Really, she's not nuts.  Really ...

Cop: But ma'am, she has a machete and she's screaming something about "We don't need no stinkin' second wedding!"

Lisa:  It's a long story ... I'll recover the machete, if you'll just give me a few minutes. Please, pretty please ...

Cop:  You've got 5 minutes ....
  • That is so weird, don't these people know that you're already legally married?  Maybe they're assuming that you just had a committment ceremony since same-gender marriage wasn't legal in your state until now?  I'm glad you had your day, that's all any of us really wants.  As for the people who keep asking you dumb questions, just tell them you're already married, they probably mean well even though they're being doofuses, or would that be doofi?
  • Avion22:  Oh, I do know that people are just trying to be nice and supportive when they ask that.  I just figure that this was a group of people who would understand why the question drives me nuts.  ;-)
  • Hugs...if your avi picture is from your wedding...it looks like you not only already had a wedding, but you had a beautiful one.  :)
  • Thanks, boaznruth!  Yes, my avatar is a small version of one of the wedding photos.  The full version can be seen at this link.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards