Second Weddings

Dress for 2nd wedding...older bride

Ok,  so I am clueless....

My first wedding there were 5 people including the Minister, I wore a simple ivroy lace knee lenght dress..I was 20.  The second I wore an Ian Staurt ball gown (LOVED IT) I was 37.  Now I am 46 and don't have a clue....I am tempted just to show up in a pair of jeans.

We are having a small wedding, no attendants, we each have an 11 yr old son and I think they are each going to carry a ring..... it will just be family and close friends that we consider family.  He is just going to wear a suit.  I have been searching endlessly for somthing simple, elegant, and won't make me look really old...ok I am a grandma, but I don't feel like one!

Anyone else out there sharing this boat?  FI makes me feel young and sexy, desirable, I want to show him this, but at the same time I don't want to look like I am pretending to be 20 again,....

Please help....also I would like not to break the bank...

Thanks!

Re: Dress for 2nd wedding...older bride

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You really can wear anything you want--and it need not be a wedding dress.  What makes you feel beautiful?

Ironically, I originally planned to wear a nice dress I already owned for our wedding.  I changed my mind only because it was important to my bride to wear an actual wedding dress, and I sort of figured I should look like we were in the same wedding.
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with 2ndBride, wear what you want. It's important to remember that this is your first wedding to your soon-to-be-hubby, and it sounds like he makes you feel great about yourself. It's worth it just to sear into his mind the memories of your wedding day that will last forever.

Look online to find some ideas if you want a dress, but not a poufy something that screams "WEDDING DRESS". I've seen lovely white or off-white dresses on major retailer's websites like Macy's, Penney's, Nordstrom, Saks, etc in tea length or cocktail dress length. Also search for a "destination wedding dress", which is something a bit more casual. That is what I changed into for my reception.

There's also a store called "Group USA" in a few cities that have inexpensive dresses, and destination dresses. Check their website for stores near you. You can see their "destination dresses" online here:

http://www.camillelavie.com/dress/Bridal-Destination-Wedding-Dresses.cfm

Below is one of the pro photographer pics of us dancing in my "destination dress".

Good luck.
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was 48 when I married for the second time.  The first time was a tea length satin dress, so I wanted something completely different for our beach wedding.  I tried on over 100 dresses, in 5 shops in Georgia.  I finally found something in (HORROR OF HORRORS!) David's Bridal.  It was a special occasion dress, ivory.  
    All that to say, as the others have, that you should try on a bunch of dresses, or pants, or skirts, or whatever, and wear what you feel good in. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • edited December 2011
    I went dress shopping the other day and found a beautiful and elegant ivory dress, long and flowing but not a wedding dress.  The sales consultant told me of inexpensive wedding dresses on sale and asked if I would like to try some on.  This not being my first marriage, I first thought better of the prospect of wearing an actual wedding dress.  But when I tried on the first one, I fell in love with it.  It wasn't until I talked with my adult daughter who gave me the following advice, that I felt comfortable with the thought of wearing a wedding dress and buying it:  She told me, "It's a wedding, and at weddings it's typical to see wedding dresses on the bride".  She told me that my fiance doesn't hold any of my past against me, he loves me, and that this is my first time marrying him.  She also reminded me it's my wedding and I can wear what I want.  So not only did I buy the dress, I don't have any feelings of shame, guilt or regret.  I'm going to go into my wedding feeling as good as I will look!  
    My advice is:  Do what makes you feel good and what will make your day have the best memories.
  • edited December 2011
    Ladies,

Thank you so much!  I am going to have to go try some on--as I have only looked at 1000's online....

Sue-n-Kevin--love the reception dress, looking (in theory) for something along those lines.

I will drag my daughter out to try some on!  I told my FI the other night he had to pick out what I wore, it went over like a lead ballon!

Thank you again ladies, now if I could just figure out what it is I actually want!
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FYI on the reception dress: I purchased it at a local salon, and had them shorten it to what they called "opera length". This is roughly tea length in front, above the heel in the back. I got it at a sample sale for about $200, the alterations were $135.
    I'm sure you can find something for less though at any of the major retailers. I meant to include a link for the designer, it's here:

http://www.landadesigns.com/index.php?cPath=6
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the comments.   I will be getting married for the 2nd time.  I was 22 at my first wedding and will be 60 at this one.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards