Second Weddings

Greetings from the land of the blizzard PIP

We are no longer snowed in.  What an experience.  But I have lived through the Blizzards of '67, '79, and '99.  We had about 30+ inches of snow.  Then AFTER the blizzard, we lost power for 16 hours.  Unfortunately the temps also fell to below 0 as well.  It was nice to see neighbors for the first time this winter since we were all out helping each other. 

Our deck on Wed. during the blizzard.  The best was yet to come.

Re: Greetings from the land of the blizzard PIP

• edited December 2011
    Hey Marrin, glad you lived through it. I have a long driveway and it took hours for me and the hubby to dig out, but we got it done!!! We had a snow day from work on Wed.
    Here I am in snow up to my thighs getting ready to shovel......

Note the 4 foot drift by the house. That one I moved by myself.

My hubby at the end of the drive, we worked toward each other from each end.

my end.

His end.

anyone got a snowblower for sale???? ha!
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sympathies!  Our power was out for three days after the most recent snowstorm.  Although we have a gas furnace, the blower that gets the warm air to the rest of the house is electric, so the house was down to 48 degrees by the end.  My wife and I spent a lot of time in bed, with the dog under the covers to act as a hot water bottle.
  • Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Alpha - my son gave us his snoblower this last fall after he lost his home and had to move into an apartment.  We thought we had it okay until we found we couldn't get it started :(  You want to buy it?

2nd - yep, our house got down to about 59 by the time the morning rolled around.
    And that would have been okay by me if I were still in the hot flash stages of perimenopause.

• MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Wow ladies, glad you all survived and figured out how to keep warm!  Thanks for sharing pictures and the stories!  We get wind related power outages, but no snow.

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the stories and pictures!

I have a snow blower for sale, but only because I now pay someone to do it for me. I have 2-car-wide driveway, not quite as long as yours Alphabride. The company charges by the inch, and honestly, for my heart health and mental health, it's the best decision I ever made.

They came out at 5 am Wednesday, when there was probably about 4-5 inches there, and it took the poor guy 45 minutes to do it with a snowblower! (I only know this because I listened, not because I got up at that ungodly hour). He came back again at 4 pm, when there was another new 2-3 inches.

I think the most I've ever paid since retaining their services 3 years ago is about $120 in one very snowy month. Usually about $40-50 in an average snowy month. I highly recommend this if you can make adjustments in your budget....... they are the same company that comes and cuts my lawn every week for $16, and I have a very large back yard.

As far as those of you who weathered the power outages, good for you! Yes, we are a hardy bunch!
  • debi1941debi1941 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thank goodness we were fortunsate and never lost power....that would be so dreadful on top of all the darn sow we all had to move....except SUE...you are the lucky one....

we had a 4ft snowdrift to deal with before we could even start the balance of the driveway! A path was made, then a tiny opening, and we carried our little mighty snowblower over the cars and thru the snow path....and while he dumped snow into the small clearing, i would snow blow it away! it was over the top of our little mighty blower...but thank god we had it..! it worked...we make a great team!!!

3 hours later ...the drive way ws done...BUT the streets were not...not until late that wednesday afternoon...then it took us an additional 3 hours to move the 5 ft tall snow plow mountain!!!  

the roof was so laden with snow drifts, we actually had to roof rake it!
    here is andy roof raking.....the snow is almost chest high!
    the driveways done and sun melted...but the streets are still covered in 2 ft or more !!!

our dog...LOVED it !  (well one of them )

• Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    T and his son had to get on the roof over the weekend to get the snow off.  Our street was one of the last to be plowed since we are not a through street.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards