Second Weddings

vow renewal

Hi everyone! My name is Alissa and next year, my husband and I will be married for 10 years. We only went to the justice of the peace and I always wanted a wedding. We decided that our 10th anniversary would be the perfect time. We are just doing an outside/backyard wedding, but I want it to look beautiful too. Does anyone have any tips that would help? Thanks for your time and advice!

Re: vow renewal

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_vow-renewal-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:c20b08e4-af80-4d7a-888d-75b6533329e1Post:d36185f1-e56d-4a16-8935-0db3e430626a">Re: vow renewal</a>:
    [QUOTE]You had a WEDDING when you got married, so this is a vow renewal. The trick is to renew your vows and have a party without trying to make it look like a re-do ("we didn't get the pretty princess day, and our marriage is missing something without it").  You can have a cake, and do a cake-cutting.  The things to skip are the wedding party, showers, registries and bachelorette parties, bouquet toss, etc. It can be as formal, or informal, as you wish.  Send out invitations "please join Mr. and Mrs. Smith at the renewal of their marriage vows" instead of to a wedding, etc. Host it along the lines of a big anniversary party, with the ceremony and  recitation/renewal of your marriage vows. Another alternative is to skip the big party, and take a grand honeymoon instead.  Many cruise ships and resorts offer vow renewal packages.  You can renew your vows at sea at sunset, on a beach in the Bahamas, or a cliff in Acapulco. It's up to you.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

All of this, excellent advice.  No wedding re-dos.  Good luck and have fun!
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • happyfor25happyfor25 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2013
    Ditto Retread. 

OP, my H and I also married at the JOP and I, too, wished I had done things differently.  Two weeks ago, my H and I had an anniversary party for our 25th and reaffirmed our vows.  I'll share with you what we did just to give you some ideas.  Everyone had a blast (some suggested we do it every year, um NO)

We had 60 guests attend.  We booked a "wedding" package at a hotel that included 5 hours open bar, 4 course meal, all decor and a cake.  We selected a beautiful tiered cake but no cake topper.  We hired a DJ who also "officiated" by which I mean, I wrote a script for him to read, then H and I said a few words (basically said I would do it again!)

I wore a long gown (it was ivory).  We did not have attendants (not even our children).  We had a cocktail hour after which the DJ asked guests to take the seats (same seats for dinner) and asked us to join him.  "Ceremony" took about 10 minutes, then dinner, drinking and dancing.  H and I danced together to "Through the Years" and we danced with our children to "Then They Do" right after dinner, then just a had a great party!

Through word of mouth, we requested no gifts but some family members gave us some beautiful things (silver photo album, etc).  It was a very special evening.  Who doesn't LOVE a great party?!

Hope this helps.  If you have any questions, let me know!  Good luck and congrats on 10 years!

ETA:  Just reread and noticed the backyard BBQ plan.  My suggestions could easily by used for this as well.  If done "properly", it can be wonderful!
    imageimage
  • Lissa040608Lissa040608 member
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited March 2013
    Thanks everyone! I was already going to skip the shower, registry, bouquet toss, etc. There's no need for it and would just waste everyone's money. Our marriage isn't missing anything. We just want to celebrate our family and everything that we have made it through as a couple. This seemed like the perfect way to do it. We would love to take a "grand honeymoon," but we have three young children and H can't take more than 1 day off in the summer.

Happyfor25-that's pretty much what we were thinking, just outside. :) I was wondering how to word the "no gifts" thing without sounding rude. I didn't even think of just word of mouth! Thanks! We just want everyone to come, eat, and have a good time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards