Second Weddings

Money Issues

Just curious. Has anyone filed for bankruptcy after divorce?

Re: Money Issues

• handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nope, but MIL's x-h did.  He did it to get out of the deal that was arranged through the lawyers for him to pay for half of the house.  Such a d-bag.

However, that was then, this is now. Lots of folks are having no choice due to the economy, job situation, etc.  What do you need to know, though?  How long it will stay on your credit report? Or if it affects your new husband's credit?  PM me if you don't want to say publicly. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I've actually just gone to Consumer Credit Counseling and worked out a plan and budget.  Can't go into this marriage with this particular financial monkey on my back.
  • cwcottagecwcottage member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_money-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:d4ef73f1-5463-43a1-8f96-bc00c08b3411Post:46e4b2e2-d820-4ce3-b549-d08c0e4c6584">Re: Money Issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nope, but MIL's x-h did.  He did it to get out of the deal that was arranged through the lawyers for him to pay for half of the house.  Such a d-bag. However, that was then, this is now. Lots of folks are having no choice due to the economy, job situation, etc.  What do you need to know, though?  How long it will stay on your credit report? Or if it affects your new husband's credit?  PM me if you don't want to say publicly. 
    Posted by handfast4me[/QUOTE]

PM sent.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_money-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:d4ef73f1-5463-43a1-8f96-bc00c08b3411Post:7c057402-7bd9-45ff-9c47-7f24da260847">Re: Money Issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've actually just gone to Consumer Credit Counseling and worked out a plan and budget.  Can't go into this marriage with this particular financial monkey on my back.
    Posted by Marrin713[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Good move.
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PM right back at ya.  :-)
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • edited December 2011
    nope...but i almost had to. i got royally screwed in my divorce...SCREWED. and eventually who knows what will happen...since my ex is not keeping up on his half of the debt he was responsable for...
    Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Been there done that the first XH never, yes you read that right, never paid a single credit related bill prior to our getting married.  I didn't ask and didn't know because I paid all the bills when we lived together and had stellar credit.  Once we said I do and his creditor's found out they were after me too, joint debt they said.  There was no way I could cover it, the XMIL offered to pay for him to file bankruptcy. Unfortunately we were told by the atty that if he filed since we were married (getting ready to divorce) that the debt would become mine unless I filed too. It was a mess but I got it cleared up and cleared my name and my credit is now stellar again and has been for over 17 years! 

The IRS was after him as well, and concluded that his tax issues were not mine as we were not married during the years in question.

OAN: The first XH also never paid a creditor after the divorce either, they were bugging me until I told them that his second XW had a child with him and may know better where he is, I don't have any reason to be in touch with the man.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_money-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:d4ef73f1-5463-43a1-8f96-bc00c08b3411Post:4b86617e-9d11-410c-979f-0491268cd294">Re: Money Issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]nope...but i almost had to. i got royally screwed in my divorce...SCREWED. and eventually who knows what will happen...since my ex is not keeping up on his half of the debt he was responsable for...
    Posted by Beccabot4[/QUOTE]

Exactly my situation. I have kept up my end but he didn't.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, I actually had to because he opened up several lines of credit during our separation and after the divorce the creditors he was not paying began calling my job. These creditors were well aware that we were divorced and I had not put my name to any of the debt, however in my state if you are married it is joint. So I filed bankruptcy to avoid paying his debts.
    Les enfants disent que les gens sont suspendus pour parler la v?rit?. Je n'ai pas peur, je suis n? pour le faire. Joan d'Arc R.I.P. Sophia please visit www.truthforsophia.com
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_money-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:d4ef73f1-5463-43a1-8f96-bc00c08b3411Post:476a7d04-5afe-4809-892e-1e8e653df94f">Re: Money Issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, I actually had to because he opened up several lines of credit during our separation and after the divorce the creditors he was not paying began calling my job. These creditors were well aware that we were divorced and I had not put my name to any of the debt, however in my state if you are married it is joint. So I filed bankruptcy to avoid paying his debts.
    Posted by robinmichael[/QUOTE]

Wow that totally sucks. My ex did something similar. He used our joint cards to take cash advances knowing I am the only one paying on the cards. I am actually paying his attorney and bail money. Nice.
  • JennaHRJennaHR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_money-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:d4ef73f1-5463-43a1-8f96-bc00c08b3411Post:476a7d04-5afe-4809-892e-1e8e653df94f">Re: Money Issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, I actually had to because he opened up several lines of credit during our separation and after the divorce the creditors he was not paying began calling my job. These creditors were well aware that we were divorced and I had not put my name to any of the debt, however in my state if you are married it is joint. So I filed bankruptcy to avoid paying his debts.
    Posted by robinmichael[/QUOTE]

I had an issue with this as well. I wrote letters to all debts that appeared on my report with a copy of the divorce ruling and a request to remove it from my report. All but 1 out of 6 removed the information, and so I made a note on my credit reports and even listed the divorce docket number. It hasn't been an issue since
  • Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't because if I had I would have lost my job. It was VERY difficult but somehow in the three years since my marriage ended I managed to pay off all the debt and now all I have left is a car payment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards