Second Weddings
Options

2nd Marriage who has a 13yr old son

I am so glad to have found this board! I am newly engaged (June 2012) but this will be my 2nd marriage. Coming out of a marriage of 15 years to where I am today, I feel eyes piercing down at me whenever I speak of making any kind of wedding plans.The sole core of my life is my wonderful 13 year old son, who luckily for me adores my FI. He wants so much to play a large role in the wedding which thrills us both. My question is this:Since both of my parents are gone, Is it ok for not only my son to walk me down the aisle but then jump over to stand up as a groomsman? My son wants to be part of both mine & my FI's party. Also another problem: all the songs out there relating to mothers & sons are mainly for when the child gets married. Any song suggestions since I will be having my dance with my son?? 

Re: 2nd Marriage who has a 13yr old son

• Options
    Congratulations on your engagement!

By the time our wedding happens next summer my DS will also be 13, and I want him to walk me down the aisle, even though my parents are still around. My DD will be 10 and a junior bridesmaid. So to answer your first question, yes, your son can walk you down the aisle and I would think it was fine for him to stand as a groomsman as well, if he and your FI want that to happen.

I don't have a song suggestion, but maybe you could suggest a type of music that you like. That would help narrow things down a bit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    How about Mama by Boyz to Men?

Never Alone by Lady Antebellum?
  • Options
    What you are planning is fine.

I personally love a song by Carly Simon, "You are the love of my life". She wrote it for her son with James Taylor, and it was in a movie a long time ago.

Link to video & song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJAD9ptfgYs

I always swore I'd dance with my son to this song at our wedding. But then, when I got married last year my son was 24, my daughter was 17, and the last thing they wanted to do was dance with their mom in a threesome, LOL.
  • Options
    Sue - LOVE IT!
  • Options
    Of course he can be a groomsman.  I'd just recommend not expecting him to plan a drunken bachelor party for your FI.  ;-)
  • Options

Have you thought about your son as your best man?  Is that something he'd like to do?

• Options
    the only problem with that is the best man typically signs the license (usually the best man and MOH are the witnesses where I live), and for that, they have to be an adult.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think your plan sounds lovely.  My father is living, but elderly and unable to travel.  My only brother died shortly after my late husband [my childrens' father] 3 years ago.  My son walked me down the aisle this summer.  He had just turned 11.  I love the look of pride and happiness on his face in all our wedding pictures.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards