Second Weddings

NWR - How Far Should One Commute to Stay in Their Field?

My career has been established in construction (commercial and residential) there aren't any opportunities in the small town we live in.  I may have an opportunity about 1.5 hours away, won't know until Wednesday.  That opportunity may also come with the same pay scale that I had before the recession.

Right now this is all conjecture but how far is too far for a daily commute?

Re: NWR - How Far Should One Commute to Stay in Their Field?

• edited December 2011
    Hi Angie,

I think that the commuting question is completely up to you, and what you are willing to do.  Where I live the average commute is 1.5 - 2 hours.  This has nothing to do with distance, but everything to do with the amount of time spent in traffic. 

I used to live an hour and a half to work.  It meant getting up at the crack of dawn, and driving in traffic every night.  The alternative was to take the train, which was the same amount of time.  I loved where I lived, but the commute killed me.  I had no energy to do anything by the time the evening came, and doing things with the kids on a weeknight were virtually impossible.  My 8 hour work day was more like a 14 hour day with commute time. 

I think you need to weigh the pros and cons on this new job.  Is the salary worth the commute?  How much traffic will you hit?  Is your automobile up to a 3 hour drive on a daily basis? 

IMO the commute time is not ridiculous, but it will change your daily routine. 
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with pp.  I too used to drive that far.  It makes for a long day when you add the commute time, but you have to decide what's right for you.  I do have to admit, I sometimes miss the quiet time it afforded me, even if I was driving or stuck in traffic.  Make you list of pros and cons and see which one outweighs the other.  Good luck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130image Invited to dance the night away!
    92image Want to show their best moves!
    38image Have two left feet and won't be dancing!
    0image Are too embarrased to say they don't dance!

• edited December 2011
    I agree with PP, it is completely up to you, I know I couldn't do a long commute, mostly because I am not a morning person :-)

• edited December 2011

I have commuted 45 mins ea way for 10 years.  The drive doesn't even phase me anymore-- but it is the distance- not hellerific traffic that takes the time. 
    When my kids were smaller, and dependent on me to get them to appts, I found the time to be problematic.  If I needed to get them to the dentist for 5, I had to leave work by 3:45, and if I got behind a school bus, I'd be freaked.  Then the child would want to dawdle over say brushing their teeth before we left (despite the call I made 15 mins from home saying, "I'll be there in 15 mins, be ready & have your teeth BRUSHED").  I happen to get very stressed out by being late. 
    If it's just you that you have to worry about, the question becomes, what will the gas cost you (as a deduction from your pay) and what would the 3 hours daily be worth to you - both money wise and work/life balance wise?  ~Donna

• MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ladies I knew I could count on you to remind me of the logistics of long commutes, used to spend up to 2 hours to drive 19 miles in Seattle...It's been a while since I did that and I didn't have dependent kids at home. 

My FDSD is not independent (yes college is looming for her but that is a different subject altogether) and would be the one that I would be nagging to be ready when I honked that wouldn't be and I would be stressed... So perhaps I need to rethink this commute issue...and perhaps my career... *sigh*
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_nwr-far-should-one-commute-stay-their-field?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:f3f55893-6c95-49f8-b57e-7db96da9d13dPost:d25c8a42-8012-418b-b87e-508a5f7fdee9">Re: NWR - How Far Should One Commute to Stay in Their Field?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ladies I knew I could count on you to remind me of the logistics of long So perhaps I need to rethink this commute issue...and perhaps my career... *sigh*
    Posted by MikesAngie[/QUOTE]

It's tough, right now, to rethink one's career.  But, this economy is forcing us to do and consider things that wouldn't have crossed our minds a few years ago.  I know, though, that while I think I will "do anything" for another job (I have been unemployed for more than 13 months), the truth is that I still want to have a life.

Three hours commuting every day would not be do-able in my world.  I wish you luck in figuring this one out, Angie.  ((( HUGS )))
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    {{Lisa}}, sorry to hear about your employment situation. Hopefully things pick up soon.

Angie, I can say that commuting adds so much stress to your life you really have to evaluate it objectively. The wear and tear on cars is really something we never consider.

I don't have any advice, because I've found it always is a personal thing based on kids, time, salary, etc.

But I wish you luck in your decision.
    edited December 2011
    Lisa you and I are in similar boats - wanna share paddles?  I was marginally employed for eighteen months and then became fully unemployed in July.  

I will be applying for the two positions that are local - one I am over qualified for, the other just slightly under qualified for... so we'll see.

I'm not thrilled about the stress of driving, planning dinner and hoping that the FDSD remembered to thaw xyz out so I can make dinner when I get home.  Let alone the wear and tear on my 10 year old Audi.  Plus it does add a certain amount of strain to the relationship as well and I don't want to do that either.
    edited December 2011
    Repost:

Lisa you and I are in similar boats - wanna share paddles?  I was marginally employed for eighteen months and then became fully unemployed in July.  

I will be applying for the two positions that are local - one I am over qualified for, the other just slightly under qualified for... so we'll see.

I'm not thrilled about the stress of driving, planning dinner and hoping that the FDSD remembered to thaw xyz out so I can make dinner when I get home.  Let alone the wear and tear on my 10 year old Audi.  Plus it does add a certain amount of strain to the relationship as well and I don't want to do that either.
  • edited December 2011
    I would definitely reconsider if the difference in pay scale in the job farther away is a whole lot in comparison to the job close by.  I'm with the other PP's, where before recession, I'm all about the job and improving my career.  Now, after recession, I realized what's really important, and we make do with my current pay, which is 15% less.  With planning for family, and enjoying my life, I think the 15% decrease in pay is far outweighed by the "lifestyle" that I am afforded now (8 hours vs. 10+ hours a day, high stress vs. low stress, long commute vs. short, etc.).  I wish you luck, because it's a tough decision. 
  • vmmomvmmom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Another consideration is the weather where you live.  My commute is normally only about 15 minutes - all highway -  but in the wintertime it can become very dangerous as this particular highway becomes a sheet of ice.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards