Second Weddings

3rd wedding!

Hello everyone, I need help!  My fiance and I are a reunion relationship and this a 3rd wedding for both of us (we should have gotten married last time and skipped the #2).
Anyway, I need ideas, help!  Should we do traditional?  What should I wear?  We are both a very young at heart 50 and still love to have fun.

Thanks for the input!

Re: 3rd wedding!

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The big advantage of being over 50 and planning a wedding is that you can do whatever you want (so long as it is within your budget), without having to listen to parents who tell you how weddings "ought" to be run.  You could go to the courthouse, elope to your favorite destination, or have a huge wedding in a cathedral.  And you could wear anything you want, from street clothes to an evening dress to a full-blown wedding dress.  I'd suggest sitting down with your fiance and discussing what type of wedding each of you would enjoy, and what budget you could spare, and then trying to make it all work.
  • edited December 2011
    This is my fiance's third wedding-he is 46 and my second. I do agree that the beauty of being a bit wiser and older than a 20something first marriage is being able to finally do what you want and who cares what people think??!!!! We are eloping to Vegas (although not sure if it is eloping when it will be completely planned out and still 10 months away) and just taking his two kids (ages 10 and 17). We are planning an extravagant house rental in Vegas and a fun vacation for everyone. (Can't do beach wedding cuz too much history with ex's in Florida and leaving the country with the 10 year old will cause headaches from the mother). I am wearing a wedding dress (my first marriage was planned in 2 weeks prior to a military deployment) and we are having the traditions that mean most to us, i.e. religious ceremony, etc. We didn't want to go the route of a normal wedding because as my fiance says "I don't think my family would care for another wedding." He had the two big weddings so we wanted something intimate. It's been fun to plan a completely fun filled crazy vacation. My advice is do whatever you want and celebrate the joy of love again (and make sure you love whatever you plan).
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_3rd-wedding-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:f6bb2b32-1e30-41a7-be74-5d413a7377d2Post:fd719f47-75c5-4d08-882b-6e47a8599115">Re: 3rd wedding!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The big advantage of being over 50 and planning a wedding is that you can do whatever you want (so long as it is within your budget), without having to listen to parents who tell you how weddings "ought" to be run.  You could go to the courthouse, elope to your favorite destination, or have a huge wedding in a cathedral.  And you could wear anything you want, from street clothes to an evening dress to a full-blown wedding dress.  I'd suggest sitting down with your fiance and discussing what type of wedding each of you would enjoy, and what budget you could spare, and then trying to make it all work.
    Posted by 2dBride[/QUOTE]

I think this is the best answer ever. 
    Anniversary
  • blue1981blue1981 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You need to write XP if you are posting this on multiple boards
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • graygatorgraygator member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so ladies for the helpful replies, excellent advice.  I think I probably already knew this was the way to go but I wanted to make sure I didn't make anyone else uncomfortable in the process being the 3rd time.  I apologize to the person that was bothered that I posted on multiple boards,  I wasn't aware of this protocol and was just looking for the best way to find the most suggestions.
  • Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    H and I were 53 each when we married last year.  The goal was a civil ceremony and then a very small party afterward.  Well, H then got involved in the planning and it went all tits up after that.  So we ended up still with the civil ceremony on a Friday morning, but with a reception on Sunday evening at a local golf club.  Turned into a weekend long family reunion since my mom came from Florida and his mom and sister from California.  Assorted nieces and nephews from nearby states.  It was actually quite fun and I'm glad we spent the extra $$$$ and had a nice reception.

The day of the civil ceremony, we had tons of people who came to see us get married and afterward H and I hosted a BBQ at our house.  It was nice because then our families could get to know one another in a casual setting.  I did not wear a wedding dress either on Fri for the ceremony or Sun for the reception.  H wore khaki's and a dress shirt for the ceremony, and then khaki's and a silk shirt for the reception.  All laid back and fun.

So all this to say that I started off with one vision and it ended up differently.  And it was all good Laughing
  • Leo379Leo379 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This will be my second marriage and F's 4th. I had the big wedding the first time, my F has had an outside wedding in a park, one in a church and one in his home. All small. I am probably being too touchy but I didn't want to repeat any of these. We have decided to do a destination wedding. And are doing a reception which he hasn't done before. We are not doing some of the traditional things though. Yes, I am wearing a wedding dress but not white white. We are not having a wedding cake or doing the throw the bouquet or garter. Just going to have a nice meal and dancing so everyone can have fun. It is going to be wonderful and no one can tell me what I can or can't do.WE are deciding what we want. Hopefully you will do the same and thoughly enjoy your wedding, no matter what number it is!
  • edited December 2011
    You know, sometimes you know things but you just have to hear them from complete strangers to have them REALLY sink in.

Thanks ladies - I didn't post the question, but I definitely needed the reminder that THIS is the wedding that matters, right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards