Moms and Maids
Options

Rehearsal dinner attire

I am the matron of honor at my best friends wedding in April and am also the groom's sister so I feel I have to get every detail perfect. And so far that hasn't been an issue but I am really struggling with what to wear for the rehearsal. They are getting married in a church but are having bbq for dinner. I need some suggestions please!

Re: Rehearsal dinner attire

• Options

When is the rehearsal?  If it is in the spring/summer a nice sundress with a cardigan to cover your shoulders while in the church (if that is necessary) would be nice.  If it is in the winter a nice sweater dress with tights and a pair of boots would be very appropriate.

I would just stay away from jeans, but that is just my opinion.

Don't overthink this.  It is just the rehearsal.

• Options
    What Maggie said.  I like to wear dresses, so I'd go with what Maggie suggested.
  • Options
    No denim, no cleavage, no shorts for a church. After that, anything goes, according to the dress code of the dinner venue.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_rehearsal-dinner-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:09c0522d-f11f-4e13-96cb-d6b8547de260Post:b0d04a01-d8f6-4e2b-a077-cda82ed3c4e4">Re: Rehearsal dinner attire</a>:
    [QUOTE]When is the rehearsal?  If it is in the spring/summer a nice sundress with a cardigan to cover your shoulders while in the church (if that is necessary) would be nice.  If it is in the winter a nice sweater dress with tights and a pair of boots would be very appropriate. I would just stay away from jeans, but that is just my opinion. Don't overthink this.  It is just the rehearsal.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

This.

and again, don't overthink this.  I swear to God I wore yoga pants, a t-shirt and sandals to my own rehearsal and dinner.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    Ask the bride and groom.  I made it clear to the BP from the get-go that the RD was casual (shorts, jeans, etc.)  The rehearsal itself was in the church but they didn't seem to mind (it was July and I've seen plenty of people on Sunday in khaki cargo shorts or jeans).  and we had a BBQ with a slip-n-slide and vodka slushies after - it was definitely a low-key affair.

Let your brother and his FI set the tone.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_rehearsal-dinner-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:09c0522d-f11f-4e13-96cb-d6b8547de260Post:a582b517-cc4e-48ac-b69c-7851cb9db0f9">Re: Rehearsal dinner attire</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rehearsal dinner attire : This. and again, don't overthink this.  I swear to God<strong> I wore yoga pants, a t-shirt and sandals to my own rehearsal and dinner.
    </strong>Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

Ugh, why didn't I do that!  I would have been a heck of a lot more comfortable.

• Options
    Yes DEFINITELY ask the bride and groom.  I once arrived to a rehearsal in a summer dress only to find everyone else in athletic shorts and tshirts because we were finishing setting up the decorations, etc. before dinner but hadn't informed everyone in their wedding party.  
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! The wedding is the middle of April and I had already spoke with them and they don't care. So i will wait to decide until the bride picks simething because i dont want to show her up.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_rehearsal-dinner-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:09c0522d-f11f-4e13-96cb-d6b8547de260Post:423a3ae8-9c58-4b76-a85e-07bad0c37be0">Re: Rehearsal dinner attire</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you everyone! The wedding is the middle of April and I had already spoke with them and they don't care. So i will wait to decide until the bride picks simething because i dont want to show her up.
    Posted by jansencathrine[/QUOTE]

Again, you are way overthinking this.  It is a rehearsal.  Period.  And not wanting to "show the bride up" is a bit ridiculous.  Just don't wear a full out wedding gown to her rehearsal and you will be fine.

Just wear something that you like and is weather appropriate.  Unless this bride of yours is a complete bridezilla she probably doesn't give two hoots what you wear.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards