Moms and Maids
Options

FMIL problems sorry this is very long

Hello ladies

Well I am venting in a way but here it goes. I have been engaged for a year now and I have been very excited to start planning my wedding. I am a full time student and working fulltime so I have very limited time to plan the wedding therefore I am doing the big things this summer. So I have been talking to my FMIL for about a year now about a wedding date and we agreed on 7-7-12. 

For the past three months i have been looking for the venues to have my wedding and I found one that I fell in love with. I scheduled an appointment and I took my fiancée and mom to see the venue. He loved it and told me to book it. Before I took my FI and mom I had told my FMIL about the place and if she can come with us to view the place and how I wanted to have the wedding reception at this location. She told me she could not see it because she was packing for a cruise she was taking for the following week.  When my FI talked to her she told us that we knew best. As a result we booked the venue and we were very happy about it. That is until we got a call her five minutes later.

She stared yelling at my FI about how expensive this place was and that if we were not going to listen to her "to go to hell" and not to call her and hanged up on me..... Ummm okay. This is the most inexpensive place I could find so I am lost  on why she is making a big fuss. Well we did not call her back because she is being really unreasonable.

The next day she calls my FI and tells him how hurt she feels because I did not take her to the venue and that she did not want anything to do with the wedding. WTH??????

So I called her to see what was wrong. She said I did not treat her like a mother because if I respected her I would have taken her to see the venue first. In addition she said our relationship was over and how I was not taking her in consideration. WTH it is MY WEDDIND and I AM PAYING for it. I specifically refused to take any money from her because when FI brother got married she would constantly remind him that she was paying for the wedding and he had to do what she wanted. I did not want to fight with her so I politely refused the money.

Now she is calling everyone in his family and telling them how horrible I am because I am not getting her involved in the wedding. Now even if we get over all of these I do not want her to be involved in the wedding planning because it has only been 3 days since we booked the venue and we are already having major problems.

I feel like she is acting like we just got engaged weeks ago and booked the venue without telling her anything about the engagement. She is being very unreasonable and FI is on my side. What can I do about this whole situation?  I feel really bad for my FI because he is in the middle of all of these and I want to resolve this. However I am not going to apologize  to her because she went all nuts.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: FMIL problems sorry this is very long

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This would be a good time to step back and let FI handle his mother.  By your own account, you've done nothing wrong.  Wise of you to decline any money from her!
  • Options
    grcrociogrcrocio member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks covejack!  I am really sad because we have always had a really good relationship. The thing is that FI does not want to deal with all of this drama and I do not feel he has to either. I am at the point that I will just ignore anything she has to say about the wedding. My FI said she does not even want to talk about me she is just referring me to as "That woman"  which will make it hard for him. I do not think he has to deal with it she just needs to grow up. I am so frustrated and I feel like she is ruining it for us. Oh well we will see how this plays out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know this is nitpicky but several times you call it "my wedding".  It just bugs me when people say "my wedding" rather than "our wedding." 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WTH? Did your FMIL assume that you would reschedule the venue appointment because she couldn't make it?

At any rate, let your fi deal with her. It's his mom. He needs to tell her that you are a package deal and if she doesn't treat you with respect, she won't be seeing much of either of you.

Good luck.

• Options
    Queen JaneQueen Jane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I having nothing new to add, but I snorted my margarita at the "that woman" comment. I'm sorry, she dies seem quite unreasonable, especially after you did try to include her. Let you FI deal with it.
  • Options
    AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fmil-problems-sorry-this-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:0d9fbe69-119d-4a9d-9275-1ad2e9a41fc7Post:233f9e32-000e-41f8-a9cd-c997319cebee">Re: FMIL problems sorry this is very long</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks covejack!  I am really sad because we have always had a really good relationship. The thing is that FI does not want to deal with all of this drama and I do not feel he has to either. I am at the point that I will just ignore anything she has to say about the wedding. My FI said she does not even want to talk about me she is just referring me to as "That woman"  which will make it hard for him. I do not think he has to deal with it she just needs to grow up. I am so frustrated and I feel like she is ruining it for us. Oh well we will see how this plays out.
    Posted by grcrocio[/QUOTE]

<div>Though your FI isn't directly in this confrontation it is up to HIM to take charge and set his mom in place because she is his child and will listen. He needs to tell her to change her attitude about you because you will be in his life forever and if she wants to continue be in a good relationship with him and possible future grandchildren she better shape up and respect the both of you. Then if any problems he needs to minimize contact with her until she realizes she can't control either of you. I know neither of you want him to get in the middle of the problem but really he does, she is obviously someone who likes to control and he needs to take charge and you both need to be united and set boundaries with her. </div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck, I feel for people who have controlling parents.</div>
  • Options
    vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who is paying for the wedding? (sorry if you have already said and I missed it)  If FMIL is paying for the venue, I can see why she'd want some input.  If she's not paying, then she's being 100% unreasonable.

Either way, your FI needs to step up to the plate.  You shouldn't have to be the bad guy here, FI needs to tell his mom to knock it off.  If he won't stand up to her now, he never will.
  • Options
    grcrociogrcrocio member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are paying for the wedding to avoid conflicts with his mother.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry, I think you can't win this one.  Have FI deal with her, he has all his life.  If you need to, see a counsellor together and work on a "party line" for dealing with her.  It's important that she she you two as a united front.

Again, I'll point out that OP declined money for the wedding from her FMIL because of this.  She is wise!  :  )
  • Options
    jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That really sucks, but you need to let FI handle his mother. It is not your place, no matter how much you hate to see him deal with that. I would let her cool off and enjoy her cruise. Maybe she'll be more reasonable after chillaxin on a big boat?
  • Options
    zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fmil-problems-sorry-this-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:0d9fbe69-119d-4a9d-9275-1ad2e9a41fc7Post:233f9e32-000e-41f8-a9cd-c997319cebee">Re: FMIL problems sorry this is very long</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks covejack!  I am really sad because we have always had a really good relationship.<strong> The thing is that FI does not want to deal with all of this drama and I do not feel he has to either.</strong> I am at the point that I will just ignore anything she has to say about the wedding. My FI said she does not even want to talk about me she is just referring me to as "That woman"  which will make it hard for him.<strong> I do not think he has to deal with it she just needs to grow up.</strong> I am so frustrated and I feel like she is ruining it for us. Oh well we will see how this plays out.
    Posted by grcrocio[/QUOTE]

Sounds like your FI needs to do some growing up too. Part of being a grown-ass adult and husband is having to do things that are unpleasant. Like standing up to mommy and telling her to back off of his future wife.

Unless you're okay with him being more concerned with her feelings than with yours, in which case I say good luck to you, and enjoy the lifetime you're willingly signing up for of always coming in last to your MIL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards