Moms and Maids
Options

Plus Sized Maids

Hello Everyone!

Newly engaged here :) and planning a May 2012 wedding :)

I am in need of some good ideas, web sites, etc. to find flattering dresses for my plus sized bridesmaids.  They are both uncomfortable in strapess dresses and would prefer not to have to worry about a jacket or shawl for cover up.  I realize that this is mine and my fiancee's day, but I don't want them to be uncomfortable!

Any help!?  Thank you! :)

Re: Plus Sized Maids

• Options
    KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The good news is you have PLENTY of time to find something.  Typically, most BM dresses don't have to be ordered until about 6 months out.  Sometimes less, depending on the designer.

I told my ladies what company, the color, the fabric, and the length and let THEM choose what was right for their specific body types.  Maybe you could try this, too? 
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Dessy.  My sister was uncomfortable showing her arms and she got a dress that had sleeves.  Pics of her dress in my married bio.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am now in total love with the convertible dress. There are a lot of places that have them including Dessy and Victoria Secret. Just google "convertible dress" or "infinity dress" and you will see plenty of options, colors, and places. Most can be worn 4-12 different ways! If you are unsure about that then just take kniblet's advice and pick a color, length, fabric (or designer) and let them choose. But I agree wait until about 6-7 months because people's sizes can change when it comes to under a year let alone 2 years.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My BMs are wearing Sophia Tolli BY1969, each in a different color of their choice, and their street dress sizes range from 2-18 and they all look lovely in it! If you want them all in the same style dress, I'd recommend going shopping with them (if they can't all make it, try to at least ensure that the ones who come represent the range of sizes they have, or ask them to go on their own, try on several different styles, and send you photos with feedback on what they didn't and did like) so you can see how they look in different styles and can ask them what they prefer and feel comfortable in.
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_plus-sized-maids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:159ec4a3-fe96-4d02-8aef-83a5846ab8bdPost:15d1817a-f5c9-4d8b-861e-1deaca0ad6bf">Re: Plus Sized Maids</a>:
    [QUOTE] I told my ladies what company, the color, the fabric, and the length and let THEM choose what was right for their specific body types.  Maybe you could try this, too? 
    Posted by Kniblet[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm doing as well.  Let them decide what will work best for them  - they know what will be flattering on them. 
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I told my girls to pick any black dress.  My two plus-sized girls got theirs from Kiyonna.com (well, they went to the storefront, but that's the website), my older sister who is borderline plus-sized got hers from Target. 

They have a TON of time to get dresses.  The two who used Kiyonna got theirs 6 weeks before the wedding.  I'd let it go for a while and look again in about a year.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    To help with cost you should try Alfred Angelo. They don't charge extra for plus sizes likke most places do. I have a couple bridesmaids who are very busty and that puts them into the "plus size" dress catagory. They really appreciated not having to pay more then everyone else for a dress.
    Photobucket creamykill: 1. An amazing kill on a video game 2. A secret code name. 3. a word to make you go WTF?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_plus-sized-maids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:159ec4a3-fe96-4d02-8aef-83a5846ab8bdPost:15d1817a-f5c9-4d8b-861e-1deaca0ad6bf">Re: Plus Sized Maids</a>:
    [QUOTE] I told my ladies what company, the color, the fabric, and the length and let THEM choose what was right for their specific body types.  Maybe you could try this, too? 
    Posted by Kniblet[/QUOTE]

I did this as well, and both my sisters found dresses they plan to wear again. The dresses are very different n style, but both being dark pink chiffon knee length makes it still look cohesive.
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is really no need for this to be an "issue."  Most designers now carry up to bridal size 28 for not only wedding gowns, but bridesmaids' dresses, as well.  

You got to a boutique, have them fitted, and inquire as to what styles are available for everyone's body type - expressing certain things that each girl wants. 

Just as an aside - stating that you have a wedding party with varying sizes is just as informative as referring to your friends and family as "plus size maids."  That's kind of tacky and, well, rude.

Good luck.
    10-10-10
  • Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you really want them to  be comfortable then let them pick out their own.  I went to Davids Bridal for my girls dresses since for what I wanted they were the most reasonable.  I picked out knee length dresses in black that were strapless.  Then I saw how many of their matched and looked great together so let them pick.  3 of mine went with the strapless and 2 with a y-neck.  One of the girls with a y-neck is petite, plus sized, and is at least a DD chest.  It looks great on her and she is in love with it.  If I were you I would do the same, either at David's or another line that does the same.  If you want them all to be in the same shade of a color then tell them where to go (ex. You can pick out any knee length dress at David's in the shade watermelon).  If you don't care if the shades or lenghts are different just tell them a color and say pick whatever you want. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    meamollymeamolly member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a plus sized girl and I can not express enough how much I love david's bridal! They have some much to choose from in plus sizes! My sister told me what color, what type of fabric and length. That still left me with so many to pick from!
  • Options
    emilyjc14emilyjc14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have girls in my wedding of all different sizes and shapes. I find the PERFECT dress that looks great on all of them at Davids Bridal and turns out it is strapless. I was worried about it being strapless, but looks and fits best on them out of ALL the dresses. This pic does not do the dress justice, it looks a bit a different in person.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=3001799&currentIdx=39&subCategory=-49998976%257c3001465%257c3001609%257c3001799&catentryId=6110576&sort=
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards