Moms and Maids
Options

Removing sister as Bridesmaid. Am I wrong??

Of the 5 girls in my bridal party, 3 are my sisters. I went with them to order their dresses this past Sunday. (One is out of state, so she is ordering separately). I gave them MONTHS notice to save & they only had to put half down. I also had a postcard that got them 15% off. Everyone ordered except my oldest sister. She claimed to not have the money. Mind you she is always telling us how she makes so much more money than we do (& she does. She's a nurse & I have seen her checks.) She told me she was going to write a check just so they would place her order, but that it was going to bounce! WTF! I told her not to do that. For some reason she refused to use a credit card. I was very upset because she had MONTHS notice & she also could have notified me BEFORE our appt. In any event, she said she would go order her dress this morning, but she is yet again full of excuses. I cannot deal with her stress. I want to just eliminate her now so that it's not more headaches down the line. She claims to always be "working" so I can already see her not even going to pick up her dress (I mean, she can't even order it on time) & them returning it, get her shoes, make her bouquet, help with basically anything, show up for rehearsal, etc. I made her a BM because she is my oldest sister. But she has been nothing but a headache to deal with the entire time. Always complaining about this & that. Is it ok to take her out of the wedding??? I don't want to look like a bad person, but she just isn't taking anything seriously. Thanks!

Re: Removing sister as Bridesmaid. Am I wrong??

• Options

Just give her the deadline set by the dress shop to order her dress. If she doesn't get it she has taken herself out of the wedding.

• Options
    Didn't even think of that. Thanks!! :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_removing-sister-bridesmaid-am-wrong?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:16690d59-b51d-4635-8878-4f5687800777Post:6cafaff0-c699-407d-99e6-26fcf7376c9e">Removing sister as Bridesmaid. Am I wrong??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Of the 5 girls in my bridal party, 3 are my sisters. I went with them to order their dresses this past Sunday. (One is out of state, so she is ordering separately). I gave them MONTHS notice to save & they only had to put half down. I also had a postcard that got them 15% off. Everyone ordered except my oldest sister. She claimed to not have the money. Mind you she is always telling us how she makes so much more money than we do (& she does. She's a nurse & I have seen her checks.) She told me she was going to write a check just so they would place her order, but that it was going to bounce! WTF! I told her not to do that. For some reason she refused to use a credit card. I was very upset because she had MONTHS notice & she also could have notified me BEFORE our appt. In any event, she said she would go order her dress this morning, but she is yet again full of excuses. I cannot deal with her stress. I want to just eliminate her now so that it's not more headaches down the line. She claims to always be "working" so<strong> I can already see her not even going to pick up her dress (I mean, she can't even order it on time) & them returning it, get her shoes, make her bouquet, help with basically anything, show up for rehearsal, etc.</strong> I made her a BM because she is my oldest sister. But she has been nothing but a headache to deal with the entire time. Always complaining about this & that. Is it ok to take her out of the wedding??? I don't want to look like a bad person, but she just isn't taking anything seriously. Thanks!
    Posted by cvmami78[/QUOTE]

The bolded part makes me think you'll be doing her a favor to kick her out. 

However, yes, kicking her out will make you look like a bad person. 
  • Options
    Retread, I love it.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Stupid knot - where is the rest of this thread?
  • Options

I went into my posts to see if it would still take me to the original thread and this is where it took me -

Good grief. 

• Options
    I can't see the OP, but just the title is enough to answer.

YES, YOU ARE WRONG.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Huh, I thought it was a DD.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Jemmini6, you need to read the original post before making a statement like that. Until then, you really shouldn't be so harsh & you have no grounds to make such a statement. I def think something is wrong w/the message boards today as I have been having issues seeing everyone's posts! :(
  • Options
    OP, I can't see your original post.  Removing a friend from the wedding party can often damage a relationship beyond repair.  It gets doubly dangerous when the bridesmaid in question is a sister.

If you do this, you can expect massive family drama, and not just with sis.  At best, you will be hearing about it years later.  At worst, it could cause an estrangement that lasts years, or is even permanent.  You need to weigh that against whatever you are trying to avoid or punish by kicking her out.

Sometimes, that price is worth it.  I am estranged from my sister, who is not even invited to my wedding.  But it isn't something to be done lightly, and very few wedding-related hassles would deserve that extreme response.  If all she did was ordinary BM stuff like missing a dress trip, or not having the time to go to every vendor, let it go. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cvmami, actually, Jemmini is completely right.  Unless your sister slept with your fiance or physically attacked you (which she didn't, I read the OP), then kicking her out of your BP is wrong. 

Give her a deadline to order her dress and go from there. 
  • Options
    @retreadbride, my sister is a very unemotional detached person. She is very odd. She doesn't care about things you'd expect people to care about. She wont care either way. (That actually makes me sad to say, but it's true.) I don't want to remove anyone. I love everyone I chose. But at the same time, this is my wedding day. Why would anyone want anyone to cause drama & ruin the day for everyone else??
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Are you able to repost your OP?

If your sister has committed a crime against you or your loved ones (including pets), tried to seduce your fi or is actively trying to prevent the marriage, you may kick her out of the wedding party. Odd behaviour does not qualify as a reason to ditch her.

All your sister has to do is buy the agreed upon dress, show up on time for the ceremony. You don't have to involve her in any of the planning.

• Options
    I can't repost it! Ahhhh! Lol. Idk what is going on with this site today. :( I haven't asked her to do anything other than buy her dress. She hasn't done that & that is the MAJOR issue! I haven't asked her to go anywhere with me, etc. All I asked was that she order her dress. I'd think that's an important part of being a BM, no? So let's just be hypothetical. Let's say she never orders her dress (with her this is a VERY possible scenario), I should still have her in the wedding & let her wear anything she finds?? Sorry, not happening. I am so willing to work with people & compromise & I have worked around their schedules & made many decisions based upon my bridesmaids because I want them all to be happy. But I will NOT be compromising on ordering & wearing a bridesmaid dress.
  • Options
    Getting the dress is just about her only duty. If she doesn't get it, then she will be removing herself from the wedding party. You don't have to let her wear whatever she wants.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_removing-sister-bridesmaid-am-wrong?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:16690d59-b51d-4635-8878-4f5687800777Post:56a068f0-097c-42fb-9a0f-eadb6b7a401c">Re: Removing sister as Bridesmaid. Am I wrong??</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Jemmini6, you need to read the original post before making a statement like that. Until then, you really shouldn't be so harsh & you have no grounds to make such a statement.</strong> I def think something is wrong w/the message boards today as I have been having issues seeing everyone's posts! :(

Kicking anyone out of your WP for any reason other than them physically attacking you or trying to sleep with your FI is wrong.  Since those are extremely rare circumstances and almost never come up on TK, I was pretty confident in my answer.

If this is just over her getting a dress, give her the deadline to order it and then let her be an adult.  Don't micromanage.  If she gets the dress, great.  If not, then she has removed herself from the WP, no need for you to do it preemptively.

Although I must say, if it's you <em>sister</em>, I'd hope that her presence would mean more to you than what she's wearing, but regardless, etiquette-wise, you do not need to allow her to stand up with you if she does not have the designated dress.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    RaptorSLHRaptorSLH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    [QUOTE]All I asked was that she order her dress. I'd think that's an important part of being a BM, no? So let's just be hypothetical. Let's say she never orders her dress (with her this is a VERY possible scenario), I should still have her in the wedding & let her wear anything she finds?? Sorry, not happening.... I will NOT be compromising on ordering & wearing a bridesmaid dress.
    Posted by cvmami78[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>It is not only important, it's one of the very few actual "duties" a bridesmaid has.  Forgive the obvious question, but you did ask her what her budget was, and choose a dress within that budget, yes?  I will assume that you did.</div><div>
    </div><div>In that case, find out the actual last date to order the dress and have it guaranteed arrive on time.  The bridal shop will almost certainly try to bump back this date for the sake of the commission, so you'll have to be firm about what you need.

</div><div>Give your sister the date.  Let her know that if she doesn't order by this date, you can't promise the dress will arrive in time, in which case, she will of course be welcome to attend as a guest.  Then let the topic go.  If she doesn't order the dress, she will have taken herself out of the wedding party.  </div><div>
    </div><div>It sounds like essentially the same thing, but there is a big difference between kicking her out and her dropping out on her own.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_removing-sister-bridesmaid-am-wrong?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:16690d59-b51d-4635-8878-4f5687800777Post:56a068f0-097c-42fb-9a0f-eadb6b7a401c">Re: Removing sister as Bridesmaid. Am I wrong??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jemmini6, you need to read the original post before making a statement like that. Until then, you really shouldn't be so harsh & you have no grounds to make such a statement. I def think something is wrong w/the message boards today as I have been having issues seeing everyone's posts! :(
    Unless OP's sister tried to murder her or slept with the groom (in which case the wedding should be off altogether anyway), Jemmini was correct.  In the absence of issues as serious as that, the details of the situation don't matter.

• Options
    These "Can I kick someone out of the wedding" threads are like car wrecks. I really don't want to know, but somehow I can't quit looking at them...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards