Moms and Maids

Mom & Stepmom Hair and Makeup

I am trying to figure out if I should invite my mom and stepmom to have their hair done with the bridesmaids and myself.

With my mom, the only question I have is whether the standard is to have your mom's hair done with the bridesmaids? I've been in a few weddings and I don't recall the mothers of the brides having their hair done with us.

With my stepmom, however, my questions are completely different: I get along well with her but have only seen her 2-3 times in the last 10-15 years. She's buying a special dress for the occasion and will be seated with the parents. I'm also planning on incorporating her into at least some of the pictures. On the one hand I want my stepmom to feel included but on the other hand, I want to be sure my mom feels extra special.

I'd ask my mom what she wants but she'll tell me she wants whatever I want.

Any advice?
EllieB

Re: Mom & Stepmom Hair and Makeup

• nlindsay17nlindsay17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a MOB for the second time. When my oldest DD got married I stayed at the hotel the night before and had my hair done with the girls. With my younger DD the girls are spending the night at my house and the hair and makeup team are coming here so again I will get mine done with them. I don't know if this is the norm but I would guess it depends on how close you guys are. My younger DD is also inviting her FMIL to have hers done with us. Again we are all close. That being said the stepmother is a totally different story. She will get ready on her own and arrive at the wedding with the ex. I think if you include your mom and not the stepmom it will eliminate any awkwardness for your mom and also make her feel special to be included.
  • vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom had her makeup done when the MOH and I had ours done.  I think it's totally normal for the MOB to have her hair and makeup done with the BMs and the bride.

I think since you aren't close with your stepmother it would probably be best to not invite her.  Even if she's going to be in some pro pics, she doesn't need to have professional makeup done, and if she wants it done, she can do it on her own.
  • edited December 2011
    Another MOB, here. I don't think there is a 'norm.' It took many years for me to find a hairdresser that I love. Since the wedding is local, she will be doing my hair for my daughter's wedding. If this was going to be a destination wedding, I would hope that my daughter would invite me to get my hair done with her. You should let your mom decide.
    I'm also a stepmother. I don't think your stepmother would expect to be included in the group hair appointment.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards