Moms and Maids

MoB support

I'm not getting married for a long time, but something's dawned on me.  There are quite a few things that the Mother of the Bride does in a wedding...  What does a bride do if she... doesn't have a mother?

I do have a mother, but... she died in 2005... 

Thinking about it really has me down now... I don't want my mother to feel like she's being replaced, but I really want to be able to share this experience with someone.  I get along with my FMIL, but there's that part of me that wants a motherly figure that I don't have to share...

Am I being greedy?  Would it be wrong and insulting to my FMIL if I asked my God-Mother to helo the way my mother would have?

Re: MoB support

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Of course you can ask your Godmother.  That's part of what a Godmother promises to do:  to be  a part of your life and a support for you.  Actually, anyone can help with those "mom" things-a favorite aunt, a cousin, a dear friend, or in your case, a loved Godmother.

GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Trix
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Godmother would gladly step in if she needed to. As it is, my mom is not really involved in the wedding planning. SHe is making the FG dress and doing alterations for my sister's MOH dress and the RB suit, but then again I don't know what traditional MOB things you are talking about.

My Godmother did, however, offer to pay for my flowers, as her Godmother did for her. FI and I had planned to pay for everything ourselves, so that was an awesome gift.

Godmothers are supposed to step in as a mother figure in the case that your mother is not there, for whatever reason. If you are close to her, I'd say go ahead and include her.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    You would be honoring your Mom by asking the woman she chose as your Godmother to fill in. I would want my daughter to have a special someone to help her out if I couldn't be there.
    This is not a slight to your FMIL, since she will also be filling a special role in your wedding as MOG. Just make sure she knows how much you value your relationship with her.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mob-support?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:1beb0dd2-8923-488c-ad69-d00bbc463a23Post:3f7ee10f-491b-4028-8d62-bbb9caeb1b51">Re: MoB support</a>:
    [QUOTE]You would be honoring your Mom by asking the woman she chose as your Godmother to fill in. I would want my daughter to have a special someone to help her out if I couldn't be there. This is not a slight to your FMIL, since she will also be filling a special role in your wedding as MOG. Just make sure she knows how much you value your relationship with her.
    Posted by MairePoppy[/QUOTE]

What Poppy said!!!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    Great answer Poppy!
  • edited December 2011
    I think asking your God-Mother would be fine, afterall you have probably known her longer than your FMIL. I am sure your FMIL will understand and the two of you will grow closer over the years after you guys are married. Good Luck!
  • plessjmplessjm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am in the same boat. My mother paseed away a few month before I was engaged. My godmother has stepped into some of the roles such as lighting one of the candles for the unity candle and making my veil out of my mother's weding dress. My FMIL has also stepped into the roles my mother would have taken just because I she knows me better like shopping for the dress (which was the hardest thing ever without mom there). Alot of it falls naturally into place with people taking over the roles but your Godmother is someone you not your fiance would  be close with and had the history with your mom so she might be helpful in that sense. Good luck I know how hard it really is.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards