Moms and Maids

Bipolar MOB - need some support (Sorry it's long)

I apologize if this is a little incoherent, but I'm a bit upset and in need of a hug but I'm at work right now.

My mother is diagnosed bipolar & paranoic (since I was a young child) and this has caused more than a few heartaches in my lifetime. I spent much of my childhood raised by relatives because she just didn't feel like dealing with me, (I was perpetual honor roll, varsity sports, never even once got detention in my life definition good girl) and she abandoned me as a teenager so I had to live with another family, (dad is out of the picture). I had to scrape to put myself through college and grad school and she didn't give me an ounce of emotional or financial support. She thinks the only reason I went to college is so I can feel superior to her.

We aren't exactly close, to be sure, because after a lifetime of being hurt by her I keep forgiving her and have found the only way to avoid too much pain is to limit my exposure to her and not engage with her when she baits me for a reaction.

My engagement seems to have really set something off within her, and it's getting out of control.

Even when she is on her medication (which is inconsistent at best) she goes from making up wild lies about what an awful bridezilla I am (Which is out of nowhere, and FI and I are paying for our own wedding, haven't asked my mother or anyone else for a penny or for favors of time/energy, it's going to be a mellow afternoon wedding, my BMs are picking out their own dresses, etc) to then saying that she wants to buy my dress and my cake. (With the caveat that she will starve to do so, but it's a "cross she's willing to bear")

She sends my ranting emails about how she gets that it's my day so she doesn't even expect to be included but hopes she can see the photos after at least, which hurts because I never ever thought of not inviting my own mother, and have never said anything like this, and in fact went to tell her in person we were engaged and that we could go shopping for her dress together if she wanted.

She also sends me frequent emails about how mad she is at me but that I have no room to be hurt or upset by it  because it's my fault, since she is jealous of my life and it's not fair that her life didn't turn out better and why did I get what I wanted when she is alone.

I know that what she says isn't really coming from her, and she doesn't really mean it, because she's unstable and can't help what she says, but it's starting to put a damper on my enthusiasm for planning. Every time I see an email from her I dread opening it. I have relatives calling me and asking me to verify all the awful things she's been making up about me, and it's really stressful.

I am also nervous because she has caused scenes (putting it nicely) during my older sibling's wedding weekends, and I'm usually the target of her ire. I am terrified of what she will do at my wedding. It's not even a question of if, but of what.

She has always had an unhealthy competition with me, (and only me, not my other siblings - they always feel bad for me about it because it's blatant) and tried to upstage anything I have accomplished by making it all about her, which I let go because it's not worth getting into it. But I do want my wedding to be about FI and I, it would be nice just to have one day for us.

I don't know what to do - I can't hold her behavior against her since she doesn't know any better, but it's starting to wear my patience a little thin. I am finding interacting with her (about non-wedding stuff) increasingly difficult because I am so hurt that even smaller stuff she says that I used to be able to ignore is starting to get to me.

It's also sad when people (who mean well) say things to me like "your mom must be so excited for you/happy for you/proud of you!" when the truth is she is hostile and unhappy.

Are there any other brides out there who have dealt with something like this who can offer some advice or encouragement?

Re: Bipolar MOB - need some support (Sorry it's long)

• edited December 2011
    Let me start by saying I'm so sorry you have to deal with this during what is supposed to be a very happy time in your life.

Also- thanks so much for using paragraphs.  I can tell already that you're sweet :)

So, my mom is currently admitted in a psych ward.  I have a pretty good relationship with her but we obviously have some issues because of her depression.  I also have a brother who suffers from substance abuse problems and is incarcerated at the moment.  What sucks is that every time my brother effs up (which is pretty often) it negatively affects my mother and she doesn't deal with it very well.  This leaves my sister and I and our grandmother (mom's mom) to pick up the pieces and hold everyone together.

Things seemed to be going along ok, but I suppose it was just the calm before the storm.  My brother went back to jail about a month ago, and I recently scheduled several bridal gown appointments.  My mom seemed really excited to go with me and help me pick out a wedding dress, but the night before my first appointment she had a complete mental breakdown and has been in the hospital since.  I'm heartbroken that she missed out on something that would have been a wonderful mother-daughter moment. 

I must admit of course that I am very angry with her right now, and with my brother for whatever part in this he has contributed.  I know that mental illnesses, including addiction, are diseases.  They are not actively willful choices, but results of something inside that is broken. 

It seems to me that you understand this, and you are a step ahead of me as far as not harboring any ill feelings about her actions.  I'm still getting there.  I admire your ability to forgive, if not forget.

I don't have much advice for you :(  Other than to hang in there, and catch your mom on a good day and really talk to her.  Tell her how her actions affect you.  Be honest with her, and tell her how much it hurts you to miss out on things with her.  Don't attack her (if it weren't for your disease we'd all be happy...) but try something like "When you do xxxxxxx it makes me upset.  I would like us to get along better and share mother-daughter moments" or something.

FWIW, I'm glad I'm not the only person dealing with this.  Some of my bridesmaids have been able to come support me at my dress appointments, and it's always the same question:  "where's your mom?" and it makes me want to cry!  I don't feel so alone in this now.  I'm sorry you are dealing with this, but know that you're not alone either <3!
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    cyber hugs to both of you from a MOB!  I am so sorry you are both going through such a rough experience.

OP - It sounds like you know you can't buy in to what your mom says/does, but it is surely much easier said than done. 

You may need to make a value judgement here and make a choice on whether to have a traditional wedding with all the family or maybe something more private with your FI and maybe your siblings and FILs. 

It doesn't seem likely that a traditional wedding is going to go off without some major issues from your mom, especially if she is as competitive as you say.  Can you discuss this with your siblings to maybe get some good feedback on what your best course of action would be?

What is most important to you for your wedding day and wedding experience?  Is it the whole family thing?  Having your mom there and hoping for a little miracle?

Have you and FI discussed how to work this out?

There aren't many win/win scenarios here.  She is mentally ill and can't help that.  She treats you badly and probably can't help that either.  You know the deal but would like to have a peaceful, lovely wedding.

I am a huge proponent of boundaries and have toxic people in my family who are not welcome in my life.  I am more than comfortable setting the boundaries I need to accomplish/enjoy whatever I am planning and knowing that person can't be a part of it.  She is toxic, always will be toxic, and I don't have to put up with that.  Unfortuanately her toxicity isn't due to mental illness.

I wish I had the magic solution for you but this is a tough one.  I wish you the best in your planning and your wedding and hope you find what works and makes it the best experience possible.
  • edited December 2011
    Can I tell you honestly what I would do? (I should preface this by saying that there is a history of mental illness in my family as well as in my FI's family, and I am trying to figure out how to deal with a FMIL who likes to have temper tantrums if she isn't the center of attention, among other things).

I would gather the people in my life who love me and support me.  Then I would plan a quiet wedding with these people, possibly a destination wedding.  I would get married, have a nice dinner, dance with your FI, go on your honeymoon.

And then tell your mother.

She may be hurt and angry that she wasn't there.  She most likely will be.  Read to her the letter you wrote on The Knot, and then explain that you are creating a new life with your new family, and that if she wants to be a part of it, than this is what you expect.

My sister is Bi-Polar, an alcohalic, and she self-mutilates.  Years of family therapy have taught me that I can't control her actions, but I can control mine.  I have also learned that just because someone is mentally ill, it does not give them the right to drag down the quality of life for everyone around them.  It sounds like your mother uses her illness to excuse her behavior, and that she is not even trying to control herself.  And it sounds like everyone around her has been allowing her to do this.  

Just remember this:  YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO BE HAPPY.  You have a right to have a day that is about you.  You have a right to control who you let into your life.  You are an adult.  You have to think about your husband, not your mother.  

I am so sorry that this time in your life is so stressful.  If you can't cut her out of your life, than promise that you will delete emails before you read them, and tell your family that you are not interested in hearing any of the vicious gossip your mother is spreading.  Ignore it as best you can.  Talk to your FI, your best friend, anyone who is going to be 100% in your corner.  

Best of luck, 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011

your mom is who she is and she's not likely to change before your wedding, stressful situations usually exacerbate mental illness symptoms. Your mom is going to say and do regardless of what you do, so what you need to do is build healthy boundaries for yourself and be realistic to yourself about what your mom might do to destroy your wedding. Dont' open the emails and certainly don't answer the people who want you to verify or unverify what your mother has said negatively about you, really none of their business.  Plan your day, surround yourself with people who can love, support and encourage you and accept the fact that your mother is not one of those people. She is simply not capable, and since you have clearly acknowledged in your post what she is capable of, plan her involvement from that point.

• epritchardepritchard member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry.  You're not alone.  

My mom is crazy too.  I'm volunteering abroad right now with my fiance, but before we left my mom told me that she would rather kill herself than help me plan my wedding.  Then she denied saying that (or ever making references to committing suicide because of me) in front of my father and fiance.

It's awful to go through life with a hurtful mother, but I think it's possibly the hardest as you are preparing for your wedding - a time that "should" be so happy for both of you.

I try to think about the other people in my life who are truly happy for me.  I'm sure you too have developed a support system that doesn't involve your mom over the years.  Lean on them.  Rely on them.  Remember who your real family is.  I know it hurts to feel that void and to have to deal with the awful things she says, but just try to let it roll off your shoulder.  She's nuts.  That's the end of it.  Let the positive people around you give you their love and support.  Focus on that.
  • BBear13BBear13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much for sharing and for your support. Honestly, I feel so much better knowing I am not alone in this. If I could I would give each and every one of you a big hug for taking the time to respond.

Throughout my life I have had a bad tendency to internalize my mother's bad behavior and feel like it must somehow be a negative reflection on me, but your posts are nice reminders that she is who she is, and  will do what she always does regardless of any action on my part.

Even before we got engaged we discussed eloping, since he is more than aware of her bad behavior, but we both have very large families that we are very close to, and a number of loving and supportive friends who are so happy for us that we really want to share the day with all of them. We weighed the pros and cons, and decided we shouldn't let my mother's potential bad behavior hold our day hostage or prevent us from having the wedding we want.

My FI is very protective of me when it comes to my mother, and has been really helpful over the past few years in dealing with her and helping me establish and stick to boundaries to limit her impact on my mood. He has suggested excluding  my mother from the wedding entirely, but I am still not comfortable with the idea of not inviting her at all.

However I do feel now more like it's ok for me to speak to her in advance, or even have my siblings or relatives she actually likes and listens to speak to her and lay out some ground rules about how she needs to behave toward me (Not just for the wedding, but in general)

Thank you all again, and for everyone else dealing with toxic family members I hope you also feel better knowing that you aren't alone.

• edited December 2011
    I am a future MOB. My heart aches for you. I am glad you've found someone to share your life and love. I also have an issue with a toxic person in my life and whether or not to invite her to the upcoming wedding of my daughter. She has a history of erratic behavior and theft. I am actually afraid of her stealing from my guests, as she has done unspeakable things to relatives and strangers in the past. But she is a close relative and it may cause hurt feelings in the family--specifically her children. I am leaving this decision up to my daughter, because this is her day. Amazing and saddening to see how many toxic people there are out there...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards