Moms and Maids
Options

got it thanks

Re: got it thanks

• Options
    jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moh-less?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:20b9c5f6-cb30-4bb2-b28a-65d60188982fPost:b60e89ca-e8f7-40ad-853f-21de380e4884">MOH-less</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I have been engaged for a few months now and have a 2012 wedding booked.  We are almost set on our BP- we each decided on asking 3 friends + our new bro/sis-in laws, making 4 on each side.  The dilemma is that I am not sure which friend to "promote" to MOH.  Friend "A" is close to both my fiance and I, but I have only known her for 2 years.  Friends "B and C" I have known for 7 years- we've had our share of ups and downs but we've remained close during my relationship- enough that I definately want them in the BP- but we don't get together often and I'm afraid one of them will "drop the ball" and not be 100% reliable if given the MOH title.  I don't know how I am going to make this decision! Any advice?
    Posted by dreamy232[/QUOTE]

My advice - don't choose a MOH, you don't have to. If you do, choose the friend who you feel closest with.

What is there to "drop the ball" on as a MOH? All she needs to do is buy a dress and stand next to you on your wedding day. Anything else that MOHs do is optional
  • Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    If you wedding isn't until 2012, you can wait. A lot can happen from now to then.
    That's my advice. To wait.
    Also, try not to think of it as a "promotion" and more like an honour. IMO, you're thinking of it too much like a job promotion between two colleagues and using things like who has worked for the company longer and who might "drop the ball." Shake those ideas off. Wait a year, then revisit this.
    All they have to do is buy a dress and show up. I'm sure they are both perfectly capable of doing that. So you need to look at it another way... who do you want standing up there?
    This is your wedding not a career.  Don't think of it like who deserves to be standing up there, but who do you want standing up there.

• Options
    AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moh-less?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:20b9c5f6-cb30-4bb2-b28a-65d60188982fPost:b60e89ca-e8f7-40ad-853f-21de380e4884">MOH-less</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I have been engaged for a few months now and have a 2012 wedding booked.  We are almost set on our BP- we each decided on asking 3 friends + our new bro/sis-in laws, making 4 on each side.  The dilemma is that I am not sure which friend to "promote" to MOH.  Friend "A" is close to both my fiance and I, but I have only known her for 2 years.  Friends "B and C" I have known for 7 years- we've had our share of ups and downs but we've remained close during my relationship- enough that I definately want them in the BP- but we don't get together often and I'm afraid one of them will "drop the ball" and not be 100% reliable if given the MOH title.  I don't know how I am going to make this decision! Any advice?
    Posted by dreamy232[/QUOTE]

<div>Easy, just don't have one. It isn't necessary, anyone can sign the marriage license. As for the being reliable for the title MOH, what do you mean? All any of your WP has to do is get the attire and be there the day of your wedding.</div><div>
    </div><div> If anyone MOH or not wants to help you then that's great but the title MOH is only reflected by the person closest to the Bride not how much that person is going to do for the Bride. </div><div>
    </div><div>One more thing I will suggest, please hold off on officially asking people until your 8-10 months out, I advise this because you will see SO many post on here regretting asking early and now want to kick out of friend. So please, please, wait, I hope not to see you with this problem in the future.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's too early to choose a wedding party yet.  Also, re-think and lower your expectations of a MOH.  It's an honour bestowed upon an important person in your life, not a job with a list of responsibilities.
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should make this decision by waiting until you're a few months away from your date, then choose your WP. Then ask the girl who you're closest to (or guy) to be your MoH. Are you familiar with Anne of Green Gables? Choose your kindred spirit. Do not worry about anyone "dropping the ball" because the only way they can really do that is by 1) telling you that you shouldn't get married or 2) not showing up at all without telling you. Or maybe like trying to steal your FI or kill you or something like that.
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's wayyyyy too early to be asking your WP for a 2012 wedding.  Wait until you're NO MORE than a year away to ask.  Relationships change.  Check out the WP board for endless posts by brides who asked too early and regretted it.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MOH should be your very closest friend, regardless of any other considerations.  It's 3am.  You have to bury a body.  Knee-jerk reaction, who do you call first?  That's your MOH.

And ditto the others, don't ask until you're within a year of your wedding.  There's no good reason to ask so early, and a million good reasons to wait.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moh-less?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:20b9c5f6-cb30-4bb2-b28a-65d60188982fPost:7fdb952a-930c-489b-9f7e-803caaf10218">Re: MOH-less</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's 3am.  You have to bury a body.  Knee-jerk reaction, who do you call first?  That's your MOH.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

That would have been H. My MOH is too tiny and panicky to help bury a body.

Back to the matter at hand: wait until you're less than a year out from the wedding. I picked too soon and there was one girl I barely spoke to by the time the wedding rolled around and another girl I was really close with that I wish I had asked.
  • Options
    Soon2BMrsClaySoon2BMrsClay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In the end you just have to go with what your gut instincts tell you; it's rarely wrong :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep, what pps said, WAIT!!!  You can think about this for a year, THEN decide.  It should be the person in the world that you feel the closest to, other than your FI. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards