July 2012 Weddings
Options

*butterfly!!*

So ever since you said in some thread a few days ago that you make this awesome fancy mac and cheese, I have been craving mac and cheese like crazy! Would you mind sharing your recipe? I've tried a few out and haven't found one that is to die for would definitely make it again good haha.
Photobucket

Re: *butterfly!!*

• Options
    I am one of those home chefs who will look at recipes for inspiration but I typically like to just throw in "a pinch" of this and "a glop" of that and season to my heart's content as I go...unfortunately my mac and cheese recipe is something I made up as I went one day and that I experiment with each time I make it. let me try to type out some of the basics for you though :) I will get something to you later!
  • Options
    I have a great mac and cheese recipe but it's kind of complicated. It requires that you make a roux first. If you're interested, I will dig it up! I made it for Super Bowl with pancetta in it and it was a BIG hit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_butterfly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:34642edd-705a-42ec-aa87-704fec814b84Post:6f3e1cdd-5e27-4980-af69-684e1157685f">Re: *butterfly!!*</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a great mac and cheese recipe but it's kind of complicated. It requires that you make a roux first. If you're interested, I will dig it up! I made it for Super Bowl with pancetta in it and it was a BIG hit.
    Posted by bridetobe71412[/QUOTE]

Yes please! I'm pretty good in the kitchen and a roux is no big thing for me!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I think this is the one I made:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/fannie-farmers-classic-baked-macaroni-and-cheese-135350

The breadcrumbs on mine were not brown/crispy so I'd advicse spraying with some PAM or butter spray or something so that the breadcrumbs brown on top. That's one thing I should have done but was rushing around making 5 different dishes.

When I made it, I also cooked some pancetta to add to the mac and cheese. I would exclude the salt because the pancetta was salty itself and you didn't need the extra salt. If you don't add pancetta, I'd keep the salt in.

Hope that helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That sounds soooo good. And looks pretty simple ingredients-wise. I will definitely try it, thanks!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    that recipe bridetobe posted is really similar to what I do!

Except I like to use fresh pasta...I think that is what makes the difference in my mac and cheese! We have a couple Italian shops where they sell fresh pasta and I swear, it makes mac and cheese sooo good! I also use lots of garlic since I have a garlic fetish.

Also, I like to use 2 or 3 different types of cheeses - any combination that you like will work just fine. And I mix my breadcrumbs with a pinch of melted butter, and don't add them until closer to the end (maybe like 5 min or so to go). 

I have never added pancetta to mac and cheese but dang that sounds goooddddd. I want some right now!

Good luck!!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards