Moms and Maids
Options

Do I have a right?

Okay first off I know this may seem odd but every now and then I get on my moms email to check to see whats new with our family and she knows this. Well today I read one and this is what it said....We don't talk about the wedding we told her we aren't talking about it until later this year or the 1st of next to see if they are even still together.
First off, my FI and I have been together 2+ years, little arguments here and there that we always get over. We love eachother dearly. I am upset that she would ever say this. I feel betrayed and hurt that my own mother would say this. Do I have a right to feel this way???

Re: Do I have a right?

• Options
    ekutlusekutlus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If she knows you go into her email why would she have sent something like that? I would ignore it if I were you and then stop checking her email. Just because you don't want to have any additional stress while planning a wedding. ;) Good luck!
    Created by Wedding Favors
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A mother will always be concerned about her children's relationships. My adivce: don't ever share any arguments/disagreements between yourself and FI with her. If she is always brought into them, the bad times will stand out to her more than the good times.

"I don't know guys, that's a really nice thing to have in your house. I have one similar saying written on the walls all over my quiet, neat, non-childproofed home. I have it in my brand new car as a decal on the window. I even wear it on a t-shirt for when I go out to dinner or hang out at a trendy bar or go on a relaxing vacation. "All because I use birth control." It still brings a tear to my eye..." SnarkyMcSnarkerson
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FMIL worries about things like this because her other kid did have a breakup like two weeks before the wedding. I just take it as concern for her kids. If you know that she likes your fiance, then I wouldn't worry about it. If she doesn't that is really a separate issue.
    -This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPiclarger_image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_right?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:2d111c57-32f5-44c8-9d09-629fe69f752ePost:42e0b449-5637-4c58-a487-2679784a7315">Do I have a right?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay first off I know this may seem odd but every now and then I get on my moms email to check to see whats new with our family and she knows this. Well today I read one and this is what it said.... We don't talk about the wedding we told her we aren't talking about it until later this year or the 1st of next to see if they are even still together. First off, my FI and I have been together 2+ years, little arguments here and there that we always get over. We love eachother dearly. I am upset that she would ever say this. I feel betrayed and hurt that my own mother would say this. Do I have a right to feel this way???
    Posted by Chellbell87[/QUOTE]

If she knows you go through her email, why don't you just put on your big girl panties and ask her why she feels this way?
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_right?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:2d111c57-32f5-44c8-9d09-629fe69f752ePost:e72f7ef2-d759-4dc8-868f-747323c60d7c">Re: Do I have a right?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Do I have a right? : If she knows you go through her email, why don't you just put on your big girl panties and ask her why she feels this way?
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

agreed! I would absolutely confront my mom over this. Thats a pretty nasty thing to be saying to a third party about their daughters engagement.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with those that say I would simply discuss it with my mother and ask her why she would say something like that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Talk to your mom about what you read.
    And suggest she change her password so you are not able to snoop again. If she want to share some family news with you, she should forward the email to you, with the original senders permission.

• Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_right?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:2d111c57-32f5-44c8-9d09-629fe69f752ePost:fdbc66da-5a6e-4e31-8c6e-cd0af4c22668">Re: Do I have a right?</a>:
    [QUOTE]People who snoop through other people's correspondence - even with their knowledge - shouldn't cry when they find something like this.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely.  If you don't want to know what she's saying about you, don't read her damn email.  Is it really that difficult to stay in touch with your family on your own?
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you have a right to feel that way. I would straight up ask her why she said that. No need to look into it further. Just ask her.

good luck
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mom's see a lot of things their daughters can't see or refuse to see.  Personally that would be my incentive to never look in HER email again.  Sometimes we don't like what we find.  If your really in love, you have no worries and mom will come around too.
    Teresa & Bill June 10, 2011
  • Options
    vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's weird to read your mom's email.

Just keep in mind, mothers often have a really good insight into their kids' relationships, so I wouldn't completely discount her sentiments.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards