Moms and Maids

MOH Speech. Any tips?!

Alright everyone! This Saturday I'll be giving my maid of honor speech, but I'm nervous. I personally feel like I'm not one to make people laugh or cry and I'm nervous that people will be bored with me. Public speaking isn't a problem with me, but I watch all these youtube videos and it seems like every other MOH is a flawless writer! Any tips for the big day?

Re: MOH Speech. Any tips?!

• Agreed - think "toast", not "speech." You're not a presidential candidate. Keep it short (especially if bride's parents, groom's parents, best man, and bride and groom are all doing speeches, as seems to be typical in my area) and cut the wedding jokes (I hear the same ones at every wedding!) Keep it short and heartfelt.
  • I agree with those saying keep it heartfelt. Most of the ones I've seen where people try to be funny end up being awkward. But those that are just sincere and express love and joy for the couple are the best. Just speak what you feel!
  • When I was MOH for my cousin, I told a very short story from when we were 3-years old about sneaking out of bed to steal peanuts from the kitchen (but her dad surprised us and sent us back to bed--because the adults had been listening to us on the baby monitor).  I said "Now Bride has Groom to go on her adventures with.  Let's raise a toast...."

I was up there for 3 minutes, tops.  Definitely keep your toast short and sweet.  I generally cringe when I hear wedding toasts because they drag on too long or use so many famous quotations that I don't even know what point they're trying to make anymore.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Rent "Wedding Crashers" and go to the part where the guy is telling the MOH how to do the toast.  She ignores his advice and starts doing the "funny" speech SHE wanted to give.  But no one thinks it's funny, and most think it's stupid and inappropriate.  Then she looks at him, and gives exactly the toast her told her to give.
    You need to give THAT toast.
  • ditto PPs - keep it short; minimize inside jokes that the rest of the guests won't understand (personal stories are fine, but you have to explain it, idealy in less than a minute); be sincere and heartfelt (rather than copying something you found on the internet).  We had two MOHs and a BM give toasts (no one else so it didn't drag on forever) they each lasted like 3 min and were wonderful. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards