Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

To do or not to do....?

I cannot decide if I want to do bridal portraits. Part of me does (since this will hopefully be the only time Im ever getting married) but the other part of me doesn't really want to deal with the hassle of getting in that sucker and taking pictures for hours in it, trying to not get it dirty....

My FI and I have already decided we are doing trash the dress and I never wanted my picture on the bridal easel since WE are getting married I don't think it should be all about me, I want to put an engagement photo on the easel

So here's the question? Please explain which you choose and why. Im hoping you girls can help me make up my mind :)

EDIT: Just to add, my photographer is a my FFIL so it makes no difference in pricing because they are free

Re: To do or not to do....?

• Options
    seujoanneseujoanne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm just going to do extra solo shots before the wedding.  I didn't want to deal with hair, makeup, etc. twice and I'd rather DIY for TTD pics with my horse.  :)
  • Options
    rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only reason I did them was because I was doing a hair and make-up trial and figured why waste that?

I was never sold on doing bridals or putting a picture of just me up either. If you're doing a hair and make-up trial and it's part of your photography budget then do it, if not I wouldn't bother with them!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think if you're going to do a TTD then you could take a few nice shots of you before you actually trash it all in one session.  That way you have some of you and your dress still looking pretty.  I skipped bridals for the same reason, but now I want some pics because I feel like we were kind of all in rush at the wedding and didn't have ample time to get some nice shots so I plan on doing a TTD and get some nice shots before the trashing begins.  :)
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had no interest in bridals.  I felt like I was too old, it was my second wedding, an added expense, etc.

I think if I was really young and having a very traditional church wedding I might do it (I did the first time).  Otherwise, TTD is really cool and more my thing.  And although you don't have to pay for a photographer, you will need to think about hair, makeup, a bouquet and cleaning the dress afterward, plus any fees for a venue.

ETA:  Lacy has the right idea--do your shots before the TTD session. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I personally didn't see the point in Bridals.

Please, nobody who did bridals take offense to what I'm about to say.

I just am not that vain to have a bunch of pictures of myself, in my wedding dress. And I agree about not having a picture of just me at the wedding, we did a canvas of one of our engagements. I also don't want a picture of just myself hanging in my house one day....I just am not like that. I'll put photos of DH and I together up all day long, but not just of myself. I think that's a little odd when I go to someone's house and see photos of themselves.

TTD all the way :) I'm doing my TTD with DH, actually. Because, once again, don't want a bunch of photos of me by myself, and I think it'll be an opportunity for us to have a blast together!

ETA: I feel that with the photos we got on the wedding day, I had plenty with DH and whatnot that showcased my dress. And afterall, isn't that the point of bridal portraits?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://dallas.weddings.com/Sites/weddings/Pages/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e252bd10-f4c7-4612-b540-882a8b0daef0Post:1bfc1517-4c45-4571-a2d5-9a509a2b610c">Re: To do or not to do....?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I think that's a little odd when I go to someone's house and see photos of themselves. Posted by NMac2010[/QUOTE]

I recently went to a going away party at my friend's brother and SIL's house, and in their home, the SIL had a painted portrait that was at least 16x24 of just her head hanging over the fireplace. It was really creepy looking at  it all night, and it reminded of Clueless the movie, where they had a portait of the mom put up in the house.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e252bd10-f4c7-4612-b540-882a8b0daef0Post:3424e1fc-2478-40ac-a3bf-960d03d4c1de">Re: To do or not to do....?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: To do or not to do....? : I recently went to a going away party at my friend's brother and SIL's house, and in their home, the SIL had a painted portrait that was at least 16x24 of just her head hanging over the fireplace. It was really creepy looking at  it all night, and it reminded of Clueless the movie, where they had a portait of the mom put up in the house.
    Posted by SoonToBeMrsHoz[/QUOTE]

Haha that is creepy!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't do them and I didn't want to.  I agree with Natalie for the most part.  I did have quite a few really awesome ones taken prior to the wedding, and I may have one printed on a canvas.  I haven't decided just yet.

A bridal shot on an easel always reminds me of a funeral.. I have no idea why.   A marriage is a celebration of a couple so we had our engagement shots out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just her head?  Eww..

I don't even like enlarged photos where people are looking at the camera on the wall.  It kinda creeps me out a little bit.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well that was an overwhelming one sided response HAHAHA so I now feel more confident in my decision to not do the bridal portraits :)

THANKS LADIES!!!
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't do them because I kind of felt like my wedding was more of a family affair.  I think there are only one or two wedding pictures of me alone.  I'm with others in most of the others or some people are by themselves but that's it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Im not a fan of bridals.. but then again Im not all about me.

I used mine to do family photos with my kids and my FI.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like how 4 people have voted yes, do them, but they haven't responded as to why.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e252bd10-f4c7-4612-b540-882a8b0daef0Post:dfe0a063-70c6-44c2-9f23-ffd82c63ff53">Re: To do or not to do....?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just her head?  Eww.. I don't even like enlarged photos where people are looking at the camera on the wall.  It kinda creeps me out a little bit.
    Posted by Tiffany618[/QUOTE]

hahaha.

I got the photo of DH and I walking on the railroad tracks, holding hands and turning around looking at the camera blown up into an 11x14 and put on the wall. Good to know that would freak you out if you were ever in our apartment ;)
  • Options
    msealemseale member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'll givce you the other side.  I did bridals and had a blast.  I did my hair and makeup trials before the shoot, so no added cost for that.  I had a lot of fun taking pictures with my photographer in a neat venue, and I got comfortable moving around in my dress for an hour or so. 

I had no intention of displaying the pictures at the wedding, we did a lot of pictures of the two of us, and then had a picture from all of our parents and grandparents weddings (which was really fun to look at!)  I am glad to have my bridals, and will have one or two printed to put around the house.  I have pictures of DH by himself around the house as well.  I like pictures of both of us, but I also like individual shots too.
    Our last sunset in Hawaii...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Michelle & Michael
    Married - August '10
    TTC - Since September 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WOW ok well I think I've pretty much changed my mind completely.  I was dead set on doing bridals, but now don't see the point!!!  I love the idea of a TTD, NMac2010 can't wait to see your pics!!!  Have fun!  My mom is not going to like the idea of me not doing them... who knows...I'll prob change my mind again!  Tongue out
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e252bd10-f4c7-4612-b540-882a8b0daef0Post:23bd7d85-f550-44ce-8696-3bcafbe8a510">Re: To do or not to do....?</a>:
    [QUOTE]WOW ok well I think I've pretty much changed my mind completely.  I was dead set on doing bridals, but now don't see the point!!!  I love the idea of a TTD, NMac2010 can't wait to see your pics!!!  Have fun!  My mom is not going to like the idea of me not doing them... who knows...I'll prob change my mind again! 
    Posted by mandaroo7[/QUOTE]

Thanks! And my mom cannot STAND the idea of me doing TTD. But you know what? Not her dress, not her business!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e252bd10-f4c7-4612-b540-882a8b0daef0Post:23bd7d85-f550-44ce-8696-3bcafbe8a510">Re: To do or not to do....?</a>:
    [QUOTE]WOW ok well I think I've pretty much changed my mind completely.  I was dead set on doing bridals, but now don't see the point!!!  I love the idea of a TTD, NMac2010 can't wait to see your pics!!!  Have fun!  <strong>My mom is not going to like the idea of me not doing them</strong>... who knows...I'll prob change my mind again! 
    Posted by mandaroo7[/QUOTE]

THIS!! My mom will be the hard one to win over on the idea of not having a million pics of me in my wedding dress

hahaha mothers.... :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HA HA I know...gotta love em' right!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea my mom has a big picture of my sister from her bridals up in her living room. That's the only reason I can see to do them other than getting to know your photographer & testing out your hair & makeup.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Natalie - No no, landscape photos with people in them are great!! 

...but if it is a close up picture (consisting mostly of the head(s)) then its creepy.  LOL if that makes any sense.

Edit:  Re: Moms -  If you have a dozen or so portraits made on your wedding day of just you then Mom can be satisfied too.  It's not like she can hang a bridal on her wall before you get married, because then everyone would see the dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e252bd10-f4c7-4612-b540-882a8b0daef0Post:5390f612-ad0d-4d9f-a6b0-439d7ab8cce3">Re: To do or not to do....?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Natalie - No no, landscape photos with people in them are great!!  ...but if it is a close up picture (consisting mostly of the head(s)) then its creepy.  LOL if that makes any sense. Edit:  Re: Moms -  If you have a dozen or so portraits made on your wedding day of just you then Mom can be satisfied too.  It's not like she can hang a bridal on her wall before you get married, because then everyone would see the dress.
    Posted by Tiffany618[/QUOTE]

Ohhhh. That makes sense. Only a picture of a head would creep me out too. hahah.

And I love my mom, but I wouldn't do a bridal session just for her. Those aren't cheap! If she's paying for it, and the hair and makeup, then I would do it just for her.

But the way I see it, she has a new son-in-law now, and I would hope she would be satisfied with a wedding picture of the two of us, together. (My mom is, anyway).
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Tiffany618 - that's very true!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep that is true Tiffany! (re:moms)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing them since it is included in my photography package! Plus...gives me a chance to wear my dress!! :-) Also, since I am an only child...my mom wants as much pics of me as possible (she hasn't said that but I know she does!).

Again like in the dress thread...I feel like I'm the odd ball! LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards