Moms and Maids
Options

Mama Drama

This is nothing new, but it sure is sad. My Mom and I have never seen eye to eye. No matter what my decision, she always wanted the other. That is, until I became pregnant and after fleeing from her twice I finally told her. Then our relationship was how it always should have been. She knew she had to treat me kindly and with respect if she ever wanted to see her grandson. Well now she's back to her old self again.

I'm engaged! And what should be a joyous occasion, she is ruining. Literally. I've tried to be nice and understanding. But her and my sister (who is also engaged) are ganging up on me. My Mother wants a traditional, old school type wedding for both of us. My sister totally agrees. I, on the other hand, have some ideas of my own and they just don't fly with them. 

(My Mom says she wants to pay for our weddings. My sister accepted this, I respectfully declined her offer. She is getting married in Sept. I am getting married in Oct. It is not feasible for our parents to pay for both of our weddings and I am more than okay with that. My fiance and I are comfortable with paying for our own wedding because seriously, if you're paying for it, you should be able to have it anyway you want.)

Then, while I took my Mom and sister to look at bridesmaid dresses, they bombarded me with all these stern "opinions."

1. Telling me I have to have a beach wedding in the summer (It's in October)

2. Telling me that my wedding colors look like a birthday party, (It's malibu blue and yellow. It was sunbeam yellow..now canary yellow because I accepted their opinion)

3. Telling me that my bridesmaids should wear long dresses instead of short ones ("Because short bridesmaid dresses aren't bridesmaid dresses at all") Eventually, I found a long one I loved so we went with it.

But then, they ganged up and literally fought with me to change the date of the wedding saying that it would just look silly having a beach wedding in the winter.

I put my foot down. I told them that this is what my fiance and I want, a beach wedding on this date and we are not changing it. I was hurt and a little teary eyed. And my Mom hurried up and said that I should not be offended, she is my Mother and has a right to bonk heads with me.

But now, the icing on the cake.. I want two Maids of Honor. I asked my sister and my best friend because I wanted the two closest women to my heart to be at my side, well my Mom freaked. Just yesterday she called me and said I was a horrible person for not letting my sister bask in her title, alone. I told her why I chose them and that there is nothing biblically or etiquettely wrong with my decision and after I listened to her rant, I told her I was sorry she felt that way but this is my decision. She then hung up on me.

I am unsure how to handle this. It hurts me and yet, if you can understand.. My whole life I just wanted acceptance from her and I never got it. My fiance knows all too well of our relationship and tells me to just let her go. She has put me in more pain than I care to describe. But still it is hard to let go, I wanted respect and understanding and I now know, she will never change. Deep down, I guess I've always known that though.

Re: Mama Drama

• Options
    I'm so sorry that your mom is acting like a brat and making your wedding planning miserable. You are 100% correct that you can do whatever you want, since you are paying for your own wedding.

Since your mother and sister are so opinionated, you should not discuss your wedding with them at all. Present them with the information she needs (time, date, location, formality) after it's a done deal. Any attempt at arguing should prompt you to leave. Don't budge on your choice of MOH.

It's nice to have such a supportive fi. Focus on that relationship. Share your planning with him and leave your mother and sister out of it.

• Options
    [QUOTE]I told her I was sorry she felt that way but this is my decision. She then hung up on me. 
    Posted by theperdybrunette[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>You are right.  This was exactly the right thing to say.  She isn't paying (smart move,) so you are free to make your own choices with your FI.
    </div><div>
    </div><div>I'm sorry.  Some people will never give us the approval and love we want.  The best advice I can offer is to understand that it is not your fault, limit their input in your life (and your wedding,) and find your approval and love wherever else you can get it.  Counseling may help, if that doesn't come easy.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wonder if they were ganging up on you because your wedding is close to your sister's wedding.  Which, let me state, is NOT wrong.  You get a day and she gets a day.  It seems that they want you to push your wedding back, so that your sister will get lots of time to shine at the bride.  That's just the way I'm reading your post.

Take MP & Raptor's advice - it is wise!  Just keep the wedding talk to a minimum and just bean dip them if they bring it up.  Your mom: Why don't you have a summer wedding.  You: We already have our date set, did you try the bean dip, it's excellent!

And lots of brides have 2 MOHs, and I'm one of them!
  • Options
    I have a mother like yours.  It took me 50+ years to understand that me needing her to be a MOM wasn't going to make it happen.  She is who she has always been...selfish, self-centered and cruel.

Don't wait.  Accept it now.  When she acts out, tell her you are sorry she feels that way, and then hang up/walk away/change the subject.  The act that way becuase they have been allowed to...it has worked for them in the past.  Don't let her take your joy.

I have a family of choice...a husband who loves me like I am, a daughter who is my friend too, and friends that are the family of my heart.  You'll feel better...I promise.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options

My side of the family has managed to cut themselves out of our lives. I
    won't go into detail right now because I'm just cooling down. But a change of
    plans is coming. Instead of getting married in WI, we are thinking of going back
    to my hometown in PA to get married around people that love us. And, THEN
    moving to CA to be closer to my fiance's side of the family. May sound a little
    crazy, but I'm thinking it could be the
    best decision for us!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards