Moms and Maids

MOH and Mama Drama - What's a future bride to do?

So.. My sister (C) and I are very close in age (18mos) and have never really been "close" but have a good relationship. I have a paternal half sister (J)  who is 11 years older than me and our relationship is good, but we very infrequently talk.
It is very typical of C to frequently try to steal the lime-light when she can.

Example: She has been married for 2 years (married at JP a week after deciding to wed) and did not have an engagement ring because of the short engagement and quick decision. When I got engaged and shared the news the first thing she said was "I never had an engagement ring like that, you better show him that so he gets one too." This really hurt my feelings, and when I spoke with my mom she said that she clearly didn't mean it in a way to downgrade the excitement of my news (a typical reaction from my mom). Low and behold, one month later while the whole family was out for her birthday dinner her husband gets down on a knee to give her a ring. All of this suddenly stemming with our news of getting engaged.

I chose to have my best friend as my MOH and my sister as a bridesmaid. My logic was that I'm not very close with my sister and she doesn't like to do all the wedding stuff... and my best friend does. She is also my greatest confidant and very reliable. My sister and I had a conversation about my bridal party and I broke the news that she was "only" going to be a BM. The next day I was talking to my mother and was informed that she was "very disappointed" in me for not choosing my sister to be my maid of honor. Ironically, both of them fail to mention anything about obligation to have my other sister, J, in the wedding. Now I'm having the most terrible feelings of guilt and obligation. It really made this feel more like a chore than the most exciting planning of my life (which it started out like).

Do I sacrifice what and who I want in my wedding to prevent bad feelings or try to talk to them and explain the way I feel and why I chose my best friend over my sister? Am I reading into this too much? If I did talk to them, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Help! Undecided

Re: MOH and Mama Drama - What's a future bride to do?

• edited December 2011
    Don't talk to them. Your praise of your friend will still come across as an insult to your sisters. Just stick with your decisions.
  • em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is no rule that you have to pick your sister to be your MOH, so don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. If you are not close with her, then you made the right choice by picking your best friend as your MOH instead. 

Also, try to overlook any negativity that your sister C sends your way. She did things her way, you're doing things yours. That said, don't assume she is copying just because of these things that happened. 

GL
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • edited December 2011
    You have made your decision. Any attempt at justifying it, will invite argument. Your sister should have regarded it as an honor to be asked to be in your wedding party, not an insult that she wasn't asked to be MOH.

Help your mom and sis move on, by not discussing it any further.

• jolla92126jolla92126 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moh-mama-drama-whats-future-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:486c0126-ec05-4fab-a6d1-e0d81020d839Post:da15b607-30ae-4189-afac-4dbf509cdd5d">MOH and Mama Drama - What's a future bride to do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I got engaged and shared the news the first thing she said was "I never had an engagement ring like that, you better show him that so he gets one too." This really hurt my feelings...
    Posted by strenocm[/QUOTE]

Why did that comment hurt your feelings? It's more of a compliment than anything else.

Also, your mom can be disappointed in your wedding planning decisions - it's your wedding, not hers.
  • strenocmstrenocm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all your insight, it is so much appreciated! I will absolutely be taking all of this advice to heart.
    -Collette
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards