Moms and Maids
Options

Wedding in 4 days and I am doing a reading during my daughters ceremony!

Hello everyone!  My daughter has asked me to do a reading during her ceremony!  I am thrilled and very honored!  She provided me with the reading she wants me to do and I love the words but found myself awake at 2 AM thinking.....OMG I have to get up (in heels, I am not a heel person but have been wearing mine around the house to break them in!) and do this in front of everyone!!  I am not a shy person and give speeches for work functions often so am not fearful of actually doing the reading but am not sure of a couple things.  First - When I get up to do the reading do I introduce myself as the proud mother of the bride?  Second - Do I read the title of the reading before I start it?  Third - when I am finished do I return to my seat or add something personal at the end?  Fourth - Is it okay to stop and give my daughter and new son -in-law a brief hug on the way back to my seat?
Thanks for any help or advice you may have and Happy Wedding Day to everyone!!!

Re: Wedding in 4 days and I am doing a reading during my daughters ceremony!

• Options
    1. Ask your daughter
    2. Probably, but ask your daughter
    3. Probably not, but ask your daughter
    4. Yes
  • Options
    I would probably not introduce myself before the reading. in our programs, we listed each reading and who was doing it, so your name could be in the program. I would, however, say the title of it, especially if it's a poem or something like that. I probably wouldn't add anything personal then; I think that might be better to do at the reception in a toast to the B&G. I see no reason why you couldn't hug them on the way back.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    First - When I get up to do the reading do I introduce myself as the proud mother of the bride? 
    I'm going to go with no, you'll probably be introduced by the officiant or they'll see who you are by the program.

Second - Do I read the title of the reading before I start it? 
    Only if it hasn't already been said by the person introducing you.

Third - when I am finished do I return to my seat or add something personal at the end? 
    Nothing further than a "thank you" you as in, thank you for listening.

Fourth - Is it okay to stop and give my daughter and new son -in-law a brief hug on the way back to my seat?
    I would think so.

Will there be a rehearsal? If so, make sure you ask these questions and make sure you are on the same wavelength with the officiant.
     If there is no rehearsal, definitely double check with your daughter.

Take it slowly and don't rush it. Smile a lot.
    And I promise you, if you trip in your heels, skid, slide, or fall on your ass... it's not the end of the world.
    Here, watch some of these... clicky link!

• Options
    If you work in an office setting, bring your heels to wear one day this week.  That is how I broke in my wedding shoes! I don't wear heels either, but I found a pair I loved that were low so I had to get them for my wedding!

As for the reading, all of this should be gone over at the rehearsal.  If it is a religious ceremony, they may have you read the title: "A reading from the first letter of Saint Paul to the Corinthians", etc.  But if its a poem, you could go up and state the name of the poem and the author, if the officiant doesn't do it.  But again, all of this should be covered in the rehersal.

Remember, that if you are using a microphone, to speak slowly but loudly.  If the ceremony has a cavenous shape, you will echo a little and if you speak too quickly, it will be jumbled to anyone sitting towards the back of the room. 
  • Options

Thanks everyone for the advice!  Yes we are having a  rehearsal so will know what I am doing!  I work in a nursing home so didn't wear the shoes to work but have been walking around the house all week in them so feel better about the shoes!! 

Thanks again and will repost with how it goes!!!

• Options
    OH and the wedding is in a 250 seat theater so the acoustics should be fantastic!!!
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Wedding in 4 days and I am doing a reading during my daughters ceremony!:[QUOTE]Thanks everyone for the advice!nbsp; Yes we are having a nbsp;rehearsal so will know what I am doing!nbsp; I work in a nursing home so didn't wear the shoes to work but have been walking around the house all week in them so feel better about the shoes!!nbsp; Thanks again and will repost with how it goes!!! Posted by jkstiller[/QUOTE]

Definitely keep us posted!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards