Moms and Maids
Options

Mom on Oxygen 24/7 - Tank decorating and candle options?

My mom and Nana are both on oxygen 24/7 - while my Nana's tank is a Helios and a little more manageable (it's like a huge purse that makes a whooshing sound when she breathes in) my mom has the wheelie kind like the picture... I know she will say she is fine wheeling it around as is, but does anyone have any ideas how to make this just a little bit more elegant looking?  Also, we can't have candles - would the fake ones be just too tacky, or should we skip them altogether? 
Any and all advice/ideas would be awesome Laughing

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Mom on Oxygen 24/7 - Tank decorating and candle options?

• Options
    AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The image of some kind of crafted woven tapestry trying to hide the oxygen tank makes me giggle. But anyway, sorry, I can't think of anything that can hide a oxygen. If you want it hidden from view in your candid pictures tell your photographer ahead of time that both your mom and grandmother have one and you would like to make them not viewable as possible.

Are the fake candles actually in something? If they have something like a lantern covering then that is totally fine, but if they are just free standing I would just nix it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you could attach a few flowers to the tanks, but other than that, I would leave them be.

I think led tea lights inside frosted glass look very pretty.
    Here is an example:
    http://padstyle.com/vessel-candela-flare-lamps/580
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine had the same issue, and they just left them be. No one really paid any attention to it.
    meet annie! rescued 6.17.12 imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    My dad was on oxygen (portable) at my sister's wedding, and honestly everyone was just so glad he was even able to be there that they didn't really care what it looked like.   He had a shoulder strap case for his tank that blended in with his tux.  You could hide the tanks behind you for pictures, or quickly take the cannula out for a few seconds for each picture if their doctor says it's safe and they can tolerate that.  There may be restrictions about what's safe to use on the tanks (like if you wanted a floral garland or something) so you might check with the company that provides them and see.  I just remember my dad didn't want anything special done to his tank so it would be unobtrusive and not be noticed, so we pretty much ignored that it was there and it was great. 
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you're only going to draw more attention to them if you try to decorate them.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs, especially Aerin and Retread.  Family members are surely already aware of the oxygen, and decorating the tank will only draw undue attention to it (not to mention possible fire hazard). 

I'm not sure if it's anything worth worrying about.  They navigate life with the oxygen as it is, and I don't see how the wedding would be any different.  My FI's grandmother (who is like a mom to him) is in a wheelchair and on oxygen.  We'll forego candles, but beyond that and other possible fire safety and accessibility issues, I'm not worried about it.  We'll just be happy for her to be a part of our wedding day.
  • Options
    KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]I think you're only going to draw more attention to them if you try to decorate them.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]
    This.  My g-ma had a tank and I don't think anyone even noticed it after a month of having it.  If people know her, they will not notice it.
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Out of curiosity, are you 100% certain you can't have small tea lights?  My grandmother is also on oxygen 24/7 and we've had candles lit at dinner without issue.  I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I'm just curious.  
    Photobucket
    my read shelf:
    Noelwellin's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    vicki0508vicki0508 member
    edited December 2011
    Decorating it in any way would be really really weird.  Plus, it might make your mom feel self conscious about it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto vicki. If you want candles, just put the fake ones in frosted glass candle-holders that you would have to pick up and look inside to see that they're holding fake candles.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    edited December 2011
    "decorating" the oxygen tank is like putting lipstick on a pig.  You can pretend it's not an oxygen tank, but after you "decorate" it, it's still going to look like an oxygen tank with tulle wrapped around it.  Sorry, but there's nothing "elegant" about an oxygen tank.

But it is life saving, and without it your mom and grandma won't be at your wedding.  So stop drawing attention to it by "decorating" it, and it will fade into the background.

My mom was on oxygen 24/7 before she died.  She hated it.  You know what she would have hated more?  Trying to make it "cute" or "elegant" or anything other than the utilitarian, life-saving tool it was.

Ask her oxygen supply company about using candles.  They'll be able to steer you in the right directin.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mom-oxygen-247-tank-decorating-candle-options?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:54840e05-c4ca-4189-9897-aef1a126f249Post:46de60e8-95d3-4284-8e8f-71894f3f8a0d">Re: Mom on Oxygen 24/7 - Tank decorating and candle options?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Sorry, but there's nothing "elegant" about an oxygen tank. But it is life saving, and without it your mom and grandma won't be at your wedding.  So stop drawing attention to it by "decorating" it, and it will fade into the background.Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Thanks Trix. 
  • Options
    swtdrmr143swtdrmr143 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    **This ended up longer than I intended :( **

Lipstick on a pig - I love it! I will have that image in my head all day 

I know all of you ladies are right, and it's not that I am trying to hide the fact that she is on it... She was very self conscious about it in the beginning, and as much as I am the "star of the day", spotlight is on her as well and I wanted her comfortable with everything.  In a twist of fate, my Nana's oxygen guy just randomly gave her an extra purse-type tank, for free, just because he had it in his truck.  So pretty much problem solved on that one.  I don't know the logistics but I know my mom's insurance just won't give her one, she's stuck with the big ugly green tanks.

As far as the candles go - when we met with the people at the venue, my mom said "and no candles..." so they are out completely.  I love the frosted votive idea, I don't know why that simple answer didn't pop into my head. Foot in mouth
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards