Moms and Maids
Options

How do I plan the Bridal Shower with Bride in Ireland and Wedding in New York?

My sister is getting married on St. Patrick's Day 2011 in New York but she lives in Ireland.  

My original plan was to have her register in Ireland and have everyone send the gifts directly to her and have her open pictures of what she was going to receive.  However they don't have bridal registries in Ireland.  

My sister said that she could just receive money for her bridal shower but I don't think everyone wants to sit around and watch her open envelopes of money.  

I'm looking for ideas of how to do this shower.  She said she doesn't want to do any games.  Any suggestions?

Re: How do I plan the Bridal Shower with Bride in Ireland and Wedding in New York?

• Options
    quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Money is not appropriate for a bridal shower.  Could you do a theme where all of the gifts would be small enough for her to take back with her?  Maybe a "breadbox shower" where all the gifts must fit inside a breadbox.  (I don't know if that's a common thing or if "smaller than a breadbox" was just something my family said all the time - but something along those lines.)
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm confused --- is she actually attending a shower in NY? If so, she can always register online. I'm not sure how she'll get all the gifts back to Ireland though. That'd be one expensive trip to UPS! But if she is attending a shower in person, then she should have something to open. What else is a shower for?

If she's not attending in person, then why have a shower at all? My FI's relatives asked us to register online with Pampered Chef and they sent the gifts to our house (they all live down South). We took pics of us opening the gifts and using them for the first time to send with the thank yous. It was a nice stand-in for an actual shower.
  • Options
    ecuchikaecuchika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes she can registar online for things at normally bridal registry places..ie belks, macys, bed bath and beyond etc.  As for getting the gifts home with her she could pack very lightly in one bag with lots of room and maybe a gift at the shower be a suitcase so she could pack all things in that.  That way she only has to pay for 2 bags 1 way!  But be sure she registrars for items that are easily compactable!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice guys.  I did some research and I found a department store where people can order gift vouchers and send them to her and one store that actually has a place for her to register. 

If she registers at the Irish department store, we can have everyone send the stuff directly to her and she can open envelopes showing who sent what.  I am planning to do the wishing well because that is small enough to pack and mail and won't cost a fortune.

She is having the shower in NY but lives in Ireland.  Thanks again for your help.  I've never been a bridesmaid before, let alone a maid of honor.
  • Options
    MrsParker6411MrsParker6411 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I know that when my mom had her baby shower for when i was born, she was in California and the Family and friends were all in Michigan. Everyone brought their gifts unwrapped so everyone else could see what she got.  then my grandma, who also hosted it, wrapped them all and sent them to my mom in California. You could have a shower without the bride and just send it all to her later.

Anniversary
  • Options
    WhatawagSBNyWhatawagSBNy member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Why have a shower?  If she won't be there, and will not get physical gifts,  won't most people just change their budget to give a whole sum at once instead of splitting it to cover a shower and a wedding gift?

It makes no sense to have a shower without the gathering.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards