Moms and Maids
Options

How to become an awesome DIL...

Hi All,

My FMIL and I have about one thing in common and that is my FI. Coincidentally that is enough to link us...for life. I've felt very sad that her and I don't have a relationship like my mother and I. I've also accepted that it's not likely that we ever will. If I had to choose a defining difference I would say she's very pessimistic about...well... pretty much everything and pretty controlling.  My Fi and I have gotten in a few fights regarding his mother... and I will openly admit that I've lost it a time or two. No bueno. But I am and have been dedicated to keeping calm and carrying on with patience and dignity and respect. Which brings me to my question. Does anyone have any advice  on how to build a pleasant relationship with a woman I have nearly nothing in common with? 

The current situation is...

She's offered to host the rehearsal dinner with FI's dad and asked me where we wanted to have the event! I thought great! They will take care of this and I won't have to think of it again...WRONG! FFIL has agreed to match what MIL contributes. MIL only wants to contribute $250 which only gives us $500 to work with for the dinner (They are no longer married). What I have gathered from this scenenario and the ridiculous extent of my involvement in the process is that they don't want to host, they want to fund. This is find with me, in fact I offered the option long ago to avoid divorced people having to work together. I kindly expressed that  we are very thankful for the funds that both MIL and FIL are contributing and that if the tab runs over the $500 alotted, my FI and I will gladly pick up the overage. I spent over an hour crafting an email to my MIL making it light, thankful, yet direct. We want to have a fairly nice dinner to treat our families and closest friends. We appreciate the money they are contributing and will catch cover any overage. I even offered an hor'dourves and drinks idea up as a cheaper solution which would allow her to be more involved , though I expressed prefering a formal dinner. I also addressed the profanity she used/uses  when refereing to her ex-husband and his family by saying "We are so excited to share our wedding with all of you. I only hope that for mine and FI's sake that everyone can play nice for one day." MIL responded to my crafty page and a half masterpiece by saying "Go ahead. I'll figure something out." She then told FI that we need to talk about it. I understand that she wants things her way. I am just unsure what her way is because she hasn't made any suggestions except that she can only contribute $250. I feel that she is unhappy and it's making me feel unhappy. The only things she's said about our wedding is how expensive it will be to fly out and stay in the hotel. I feel like a beast for wanting to have a formal rehearsal dinner, even though we've not insisted or even suggested that she pay a cent over what she's offered. I feel like a beast for expecting her to come to the wedding because it means a hotel room and a plane ticket.

We are visiting her for Easter and I'd like to try to bond, or  get her excited, or at very least make our relationship something more than a pain in her ass and a finatial burden. I'm just not sure how, even once I bury my frustration and anger...I'm lost!

Thx,
Lime

Re: How to become an awesome DIL...

• Options
    First:  realize that you and your MIL don't have to be BFFs.  You may be putting too much pressure on yourself and her - you may never be close and that's okay.

Second: Work in small steps.  Don't go all-out girls weekend on her right away.  Try just talking with her like a normal person, see if you do have more in common.  Perhaps a little conversation without your FI leading the way will start the bridge building.  Even if he is the focus of your conversation at least it's a start.

Third: I recommend the book "What do you want from me".  It's all about the in-law relationship, and the different perspectives we each bring to the new family we're making, it's really fascinating.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Wow - that's great advice - I will be ordering the book!! Thank you!!!
  • Options
    happy I could help :-)  I'm kind of in the opposite situation - my MIL is the sweetest woman and I think she'd like to be really close but I'm just not sure how to do that.  I'm trying to do the little steps idea :-)
  • Options
    Retread,

That's good advice too! I am just frustrated. I guess I will just have to be patient with her wild hooligan behavior/comments regardless of how it makes me feel.

In regards to the RD, if she offered to plan it...how can I be faulted or thought ungratetful for thinking that she was going to plan it? And further, I don't see how it's inappropriate that FI and I want a specific sort of event when she asked us what we wanted in the first place? When it didn't turn out to be what she had in mind (which she has yet to share any ideas) she wasn't happy. I even offered an alternative that would allow her to pay for the entire event and she refused...I don't fault her for being low key and certainly not for not having a lot of money (per her) but doesn't it seem inappropriate to offer to host a dinner and then complain because you can't pay for it? If she can't afford the dinner why offer just to cause a scene and make us feel like a burden. Maybe I am a brat, but expecting her to come to her son's wedding doesn't seem unreasonable and I can't believe that she won't stop complaining about the cost to fly here. She is not in poverty, she goes on a two week long beach vacation every summer...

I wish I could just stop feeling hurt and start feeling more compassion for her. I want us to be friends, not in a power struggle, but in OUR life I want to do what FI and II want to do...not what she feels is the right way!! I feel like if she has no respect for me as a woman who can make her own decisions now how will she ever?
  • Options

I just emailed her and asked her what she thinks we should do for the RD and that I just want everyone to be happy. I'm hoping what she takes away from that is that we care about her opinion and want to accomodate everyone and have a good time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards