Moms and Maids

Whos my MOH?!?

I have an older sister and a younger sister and when I got engaged I immediately thought of the younger one to be my Maid of Honor. Over Thanksgiving my older sister asked me if she could be my MOH. I felt like she really put me on the spot asking in front of my mother and my fiance. I told her I hadn't decided yet because i didn't want to start something over Thanksgiving (especially since my two sisters dont even speak to eachother) but she got me thinking...

I started making a list of pros and cons and here is what I have

Responsible: older sister
Fun!: Younger sister
Complains: older sister
Free time to plan: younger sister

I feel torn between a responsible sister who would be a drag to hang out with and a somewhat irresponsible sister who would make planning my special day fun and less stressful. Please help if you're someone who has been in a similar situatoin!! 

Re: Whos my MOH?!?

• edited December 2011
    Ask them both to be MOH. Problem solved : )

• JericaLHJericaLH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I honestly think you could ask both of them but if they don't really talk to each other that can make some huge communication issues. I'm having my sister as my MOH and she is definitely involved in the planning. Instead of sorting out responsibility and frequency of complaints, think about who is going to help you make your day YOURS. A sister that ASKS to be your MOH seems like she's going to make it difficult to do what YOU want and is going to criticize your vision. Think about who is going to be the biggest HELP, not a hinderance. I hope you make a decision that works best for you and your day. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Choose based on who you feel closer to, not based on who's more likely to plan your wedding - it's never the job of the MOH to do anything other than show up on the day of the wedding, sober, in the right dress.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • ViczaesarViczaesar member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    You're going at this the wrong way, OP.  Your MOH is not the best planner or most fun, it's the person to whom you are closest.  If you're equally close with your sisters (or you want to avoid family drama), make them both your MOHs.

• zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Which sister do you call at 3am because you need help burying a body? That's your MOH.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the advice. BTW, for everyone saying that it's not the MOH's job to plan I'd like to say, i'm not depending on anybody but my fiance to help plan my wedding, but I would like someone dependable when it counts. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thats a great answer :)
  • stadams126stadams126 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was torn between my BFF of 18 yrs and my younger sister, so I asked them both. My BFF is more the nitty gritty planning type and my sis is the fun easy going type, they are the closest people to me (other than my mom) and I didn't want to choose between them. It's your day and you have enough decisions to make so just make this one easy.
  • edited December 2011
    no shame in asking both, :) I agree w/ PP though, just don't expect them to do your planning and such.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards